Brake Master Cylinder 1.8T VAG

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Brake pedal on the Skoda (2003 Octavia VRS, 1.8T) started going spongy and was getting brake fluid warning lights. Before too long I realised when I was topping it up it was escaping via the reservoir/master cylinder as quick as it was going in. Bought a new master cylinder on Autodoc a month ago, just getting around to trying to fit it now (because it hasn't stopped raining since July and I don't have a garage, mostly)

Thought it would be handy enough replaced. Took a look at it today and seemingly it's not. The brake lines seem impossible to get at, as is one of the bolts attaching it to the car.

Has anyone done this job on a 1.8T and has any tips/hints for what I need to be doing? Do I need to remove the drivers front wheel and try get at it from underneath or something?

JH86

RMS Regular
Where abouts on the master cylinder is it leaking from?

If its the seals at the reservoir your laughing, if it's leaking in to the servo that's far from ideal

It's a straight forward ish job, and the we silly brace, just your doing it blind and bent over the car for an hour is brutal

Father Stack

RMS Regular
OP
Father Stack
Drives
VRS
I'm nearly sure it's leaking from the seals on the reservoir. I have bought a new cylinder to replace it.

Can you explain how it's straightforward-ish? I'm stumped. I've also got feet for hands