Buying Car in Mainland

Colin747

RMS Regular
Drives
gt86
I just wanted to check there hasn't been any change in buying a car in the mainland to bring back to NI with the recent Brexit/NI Protocol changes? Is it just a case of buying it as if I was buying in NI? Just change of owner, tax, insurance and off you go?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Yep no extra issues at all but you may find some dealers don’t want to sell to NI now as they think it’s more complex.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I just wanted to check there hasn't been any change in buying a car in the mainland to bring back to NI with the recent Brexit/NI Protocol changes? Is it just a case of buying it as if I was buying in NI? Just change of owner, tax, insurance and off you go?

Bought my car in England, no issues.

I think some dealers will be hesitant if you want the car delivered, however if you are going to collect it there should be no difference to the dealer.

Colin747

RMS Regular
OP
Colin747
Drives
gt86
Thanks everyone, just one last question. The DVLA don't need to be informed that it's in NI, the change of ownership deals with that?

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Dealership just puts in your address when registering it, no issues.
They couldn't get the tax to accept though, may have just been a glitch on system on the day. They ran me down to local post office beside them and I taxed there no issues.

Just make sure banking is set up to transfer fast if you want to arrive and drive off for ferry quick.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Tbh I always find a english newkeeper slip works online for taxing and ni ones dont

Sheeples

RMS Regular
Drives
M4/RS4
Bought in England on Friday, everything fine with regards to registering the new keeper but couldn't tax online, had to go to the post office when I got home which also required a physical copy of proof of insurance.