Car overheating

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

fordzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline, JDM dc2
i normally run water from a hose through it, gona be a bit hard for you cause i presume your hose is frozen lol but try the thermostat and bleeding the radatior, and see if theres any air bubbles (y)

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
yea hose is frozen and the car isnt at home :confounded: Had to leave it in a street as i didnt want to drive it home!

Will do that tomorrow and hope for the best

boy_racer996

B
wondered why it was abandoned there with no bumper!lol just take the thermostat out if your stuck to get home.

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
Lol it wouldn't move with the bumper on it.. Looks like a stolen car sitting there when I had the back plate ioff to measure it lol if I take the thermostat out will that let the rest of it heat up then? I've the new thermostat here just need to find time to fit it as my boss is a knob and won't let me take my holidays :confounded:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I don't understand how a broken thermostat would stop you getting heat in the cabin though... Unless the whole thing is completely frozen solid?

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Coog - if the thermo is stuck open will the engine not run stone cold this time of year? And if it was stuck shut it would overheat?

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
What I was told is that the thermostat wil be forzen shut and it won't let the. Cooling system circulate. So the water isn't passing right round meaning it isn't getting warm after the thermostat at the heater matrix etc

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Usually the thermostat restricts/allows flow to the radiator not the heater matrix so yeah it would maybe have eventually overheated but as far as I know you'd still have had warm air in the cabin and if the matrix was cold then surely the engine wouldn't have overheated in the first place. Ice can do mad things so I could be wrong, it's just a thought...

Mark_C

RMS Regular
As above it is the norm for the thermostat to only control water flow to radiator, not heater matrix.

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
All pipes running to the thermostat housing was warm but running out of it was cold so that's is another thing making me thing its that. Them pipes are also the ones that are running to the heater matrix. Aslong as I'm looking at the right thing for the thermostat lol

I'm going to drain all the coolant and leave the car near something warm to make sure nothing is frozen then fill it back up with anti freeze.

Where would the water pump be located down at the bottom of the engine where the timing belt is?

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
Its definitly the thermostat housing I'm thinking of. So its going from the top pipe of the radiator warm and going to the thermostat housing. The bottom of the radiator is cold it think and the pipes running to and from the heater matrix are both cold

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
Is it likely to be the water pump? I thought if it was the water pump the heater matrix would still get heat? Maybe just something frozen in there..

boy_racer996

B
have you checked the thermostat? take it out and put it in boiling water to see if it opens... if the water has been frozen and you started the car it could have sheared the blades of the pump, ud think the water would move in the system slightly tho, enough to warm the whole system, my bet is on thermostat lad

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
Yea that's why I don't think it is the water pump.. Of the water can heat up to there then why would the rest of the system not warm up even if it isn't pumping the water around.. It should still get warm?

boy_racer996

B
yes, the engine side of the thermostat will heat up, then once it reaches a certain temp, the thermostat opens and allows the full water system to flow and heat, through the rad etc. Go and change the thermostat and see what happens

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
I'll do it after work here and hope for the best! Thanks mate.. Will update it later as i£ sure it will help a few people out. Main priority is getting it moved as it looks like a cat d sitting there

boy_racer996

B
is it still there??? mate that place opens as far as i know?? abandoned.com ***edit***

correction, its closed....

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
Yea its still there! Not the safest place for a civic but I got a few mates to keep an eye in it so it should be afe enough!

What place opens or is closed?! :confounded: :confounded:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
My thermostat was stuck open last year, when you hit the motorway the temp gauge dropped enough to prevent vtec from kicking in. Had me worried for a bit. It was a very handy job on the b16 though, so hopefully yours will be the same. Hope you get it sorted soon

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Could be thermostat, matrix or water pump as people have already said.

Just to let you know that the bottom radiatior hose will nearly always feel cold and the top hose will always be warm when the engine is running. The bottom hose feels cold as it should if the radiator is doing its job of cooling the coolant mix before it goes back into the motor.

Only if the car is warm and it sits running for a while will the bottom hose start to heat up and there is no cold air cooling the radiator when the cars not moving

AndyG

RMS Regular
OP
AndyG
the car wasn't moving so I thought everything would have heated up eventually. The pipes that where cold yesterday are now frozen and the rest are fine :confounded: so the car isn't going anywhere for a while!

fordzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline, JDM dc2
Yea that happens now and then.

when the engines cool, take the coolant hose off the other side of the radiator and check to see if water is getting through the radiator to cool the engine down.. if not take radiator off and normally you would run water through it (hose) but the majourity of hoses are froze aswell... give it a good hot bath lol, or replace with a brand new one (y)

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
when the engines cool, take the coolant hose off the other side of the radiator and check to see if water is getting through the radiator to cool the engine down.. if not take radiator off and normally you would run water through it (hose) but the majourity of hoses are froze aswell... give it a good hot bath lol, or replace with a brand new one (y)

I was actually referring to the posters surprise at his coolant going all over him when he open the cap just after pulling into the garage (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.