car trouble

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

w.reid306

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo / SV650s
k, ive recently passed my driving test, and got hold of my dads car for the day/ night. He has been having problems with the radiator warning light for a few weeks (its been coming and going) , but hes a marine mechanic and told me not to worry about, so i did just that!

As u can imagine, i did alot of driving that day, 13 hours of it to be precise! and as i was coming home, the cooling fan came on, and the warning light was on solidly, and the temperature was at 90, (diesel), So my dad had a look at it, and found a leak in the radiator. so we put that radiator weld in it for a few days, and let it sit in the garage, occasionally letting the engine idle for a while.
The leak at this point came and went, so we started driving it around a bit, (not to far away tho) and it seemed fine.

So i was driving around this weekend in it, pretty much most of it, and i came home yesterday and had a look at the radiator, leak was gone, but there was a foam inside the radiator. ive heard of this b4, and i was told that the head casket may be cracked and to keep my eye on the oil for a discolouration in it, (which hasnt happened yet). so my dad sed it wud be fine to drive, just not far.

so i took it to work today, and home again, but yet the foam was still there, so has anyone got an opinion to offer seeing as im not exactly an expert!!

:oops:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
before i start, i aint a mechanic or anywere near one....but afaik-water has got into the oil, leading to both water and oil to combined as such, think tim of the site had the same problem a short while back with his mg zr. water damage. think new oil change,filter etc done the trick.

obviously youl need to get the radiator problem looked at and some kind of radiator/engine flush to ensure its all hunky dory.

goodluck (y)

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Post a pic of this "foam" if you can. If water and oil mix it will be like mayonnaise, only a light brown colour. It could possibly be some of the radiator sealer you put in

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.