Carport Build Thread

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
That's my stumbling block, I've sent him pics of other thread on here, I'm looking something more sealed than a carport, and less expensive than a block garage. Hence, I've settled on something along the lines of @g4ost's design. I'm just unsure of what he used for the exterior part of his roof.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
That's my stumbling block, I've sent him pics of other thread on here, I'm looking something more sealed than a carport, and less expensive than a block garage. Hence, I've settled on something along the lines of @g4ost's design. I'm just unsure of what he used for the exterior part of his roof.

It's a shed you want lol

Ev206

RMS Regular
could that be attached to some OSB underneath okay? Whereabouts did you get that? Looks well.

Yeh just screwed to batons on osb board, washingbay sheds near coalisland manufactuer it onsite to your exact size, although if it's a carport clear would probably be better

Reactions: dub

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Revival time, 10m x 3m Frame setup, next step is roofing sheets and guttering... Anyone recommend a good builder/joiner to supply and fit?? thanks (y)

30786489340_e5857b96aa_c.jpg

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Brilliant job that,would you not go for the roofing off Comco ?
They will cut it to what ever size you need and you just screw it down,could do it yourself

I just did the side of mine with 8' fencing boards,again you could do this but you'd need to add another rail to the middle

Frosty mornings like these you realise how good the car ports are (y)

Bryan

RMS Regular
Don't think I ever uploaded a photo of mine finished. It has been one of the best things I've built - being able to work on things in the pissing down rain without a worry in the world. The only issue with it is the height though - the Rover will get wet if the rain comes down sideways due to the height but it has to be that tall to get the camper in under it if I need to work on it as well.

Next on the list is to get it concreted from the house back and then tarmaced from the house to the road.

Attachments

• Photo 25-11-2016, 15 27 02.jpg
    Photo 25-11-2016, 15 27 02.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Photo 25-11-2016, 15 35 56.jpg
    Photo 25-11-2016, 15 35 56.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 322

Bryan

RMS Regular
Looking at the last picture it looks like this has been allowed for. If anything it might stick in by a few mm...

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Does your guttering sit past the fence and into your neighbours garden?

No it's just the angle of the photo, as Bryan said all allowed for and still a gap between fence, can see it better in second photo (y)

gsmith

RMS Regular
Anyone else built a carport of the side of there garage? Iam in need of more space and would like to build more than likely in timber with steel supports. Garage has a side door so I'll be able to access it easily and also means running power in for lighting and sockets will be stardight forward I hope. I want to have it covered in so will need a back a side and then either a roller door or 2 timber doors. Any recommendations on where's best for materials and any photos of anyone's would be great.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Pinterest is worth a nosy for this kinda thing, some have plans and design builds etc for some inspiration

Hoping to do same at ours at some point

gsmith

RMS Regular
Must take a look and see if I can get any ideas. Iam hoping to use the side of the garage purely to bring the cost down abit but plan to have it wired up lighting etc. Father in law is going to take a look at the weekend and try to get a rough idea of cost.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Must take a look and see if I can get any ideas. Iam hoping to use the side of the garage purely to bring the cost down abit but plan to have it wired up lighting etc. Father in law is going to take a look at the weekend and try to get a rough idea of cost.

Do it with steel and galvanise it,won’t be that much more,mate beside me has one similar to mine ad used wood on the roof between the steel beams and the wood is now all shapes

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Do it with steel and galvanise it,won’t be that much more,mate beside me has one similar to mine ad used wood on the roof between the steel beams and the wood is now all shapes
Surely he didn't use the right wood? Haven't read this while thread but are people pointing lead into the brickwork or using a self adhesive flash band type thing?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Surely he didn't use the right wood? Haven't read this while thread but are people pointing lead into the brickwork or using a self adhesive flash band type thing?

It’s 3x2 treated wood but has still warped
Not that big of a problem but metal would have been much better in the first place

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mine has steel suports set in concrete, wood beams for the transparent roof, wood panels down the sides and a normal roller door. Had it for years now, no problem at all. Storms, snow, hot sunshine, it takes it all in it's stride.

It's the usual story, build it well or use a builder who knows what they do and it will be fine. Take shortcuts or build on the cheap and chances are there will be a problem.

Not just a matter of materials, but also the type of fasteners and joining used, foundations and supports, and so on.

It's brilliant once done though, one of the best things I've done around the house.

Cro

RMS Regular
Well it’s my turn to update the thread. Nearly done, I just need to plaster the front ‘triangle’ to match the pebble dashing of the house but the weather has put a stop to that for now. Then just the guttering, fascia, dry verge and the underneath roof in soffit board.

Cost for the timber, fixings, box profile roofing and cement board is sub £750 so far. Another £150 will have it finished off, most of that chunk being taken up by the soffit board. Not too bad I thought

Having additional storage was a big plus so that’s why it was built this way with an enclosed upper section.

Feels chunky and sturdy when walking on the roof or in the roof space so I’m chuffed with how it’s going so far and should blend in with the rest of the house

023023F8-E356-4C0A-A66B-07DB2711B7C3.jpeg
B4865053-A069-4210-B9AB-452FEDEC01F0.jpeg
AE7BE2C8-44B7-4F46-9783-3948EAF9CEE3.jpeg
8F1A44F1-ED2C-4697-AEA9-29F7589B7DFC.jpeg
81AD6342-A20B-4DD5-83EE-82A5F8CDBA41.jpeg
88CEB1FE-1191-40CF-B106-8E8CE68B4D54.jpeg
2B38B0DA-851E-4D6B-A141-7DAC530EA678.jpeg
3F7CD480-2DA5-4748-89FC-AA53801DB435.jpeg
1778E9BC-977F-4CC8-BFCA-7B417C566842.jpeg
1D975417-21D0-48D7-8DF5-43F1620AC0AA.jpeg

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Passed today and had a nosey, it's a fantastic job mate, fair play to you for having the skills to do it.

Reactions: Cro