Ceramic coating... Worth it or hype?

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Ceramics were unfortunately sold as this bulletproof coating when they first starting to come out, scrape it and the mark comes off with a microfibre in some cases! We are still dealing with expectations like this and even that they prevent stone chips. They are first and foremost a superb aid to maintenance of a vehicle. With a good or decent wash routine they should reduce the time spent overall and much safer to the surfaces. With dirt struggling to cling to most good ceramics the need to use harsher chemicals to remove dirt is reduced. A good pre wash will remove pretty much all of the grime/debris from the paintwork before the contact wash is carried out reducing the risk of dragging it around the paintwork inflicting swirls. This is the main way a ceramic coating will reduce damaging paintwork. I have also seen over the years that swirls that appear over time may in fact be in the coating rather than the paintwork itself which has its obvious benefits and is easier to sort than needing a full on paint correction. Some customers comment, even ones who use the £5 car washes, that the coating retains its gloss superbly well even if swirls appear over time.

As for maintenance, Gyeon Restart is a great shampoo that I would every 4-5 washes on a coated car to keep it as its best and helps keep the clogging issue mentioned at bay. A clogged coating can be rejuvenated quite easily just follow the usual prewash methods, a Gyeon Restart wash, a fallout remover stage or 2 if required and a tar removal stage will usually be enough to get it back in order, a heavily waterspotted vehicle will also appear to have a dead coating and will need a dedicated remover to sort usualluy I top most coatings up using either Gyeon Cancoat Evo and Evo Pro if a Certified coated vehicle to extend the coating lifespan but Gyeon Cure is a very good product for this purpose as well. Some of the the spray and rinse of maintenance coating products on the market although very easy to use and very effective can also cause clogging which is why its a good idea to use a product suited to the brand of coating you have.

But of course some people rate them and some don't and its down to personal preference really, anyone undecided with me I point down the Gyeon Cancoat Evo/Pro route to let them get a look at the entry level coating and how it performs and most usually go for one of the better coatings next time.

If its proper scratch or stone chip prevention your after then PPF is really the only option on the market at the moment.