Ceramic coating... Worth it or hype?

davyk31

RMS Regular
@
I would say that it’s definitely worth it, I’ve had my last 4 cars ceramic coated.

Having been a bit underwhelmed by Gtechniq on my last car I went for Kamikaze this time, as I only had it treated a week ago I can’t comment on durability yet. However the gloss on the car is crazy and the paintwork feels like glass, it is also very easy to clean, with a quick pre wash and wipe down usually being all that is required.

@Chris100 which Kamikaze coating did you get?

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
For me Ceramic Coating a car is a no brainer. @big_pete has done all my cars with gTechniq coatings. Originally CSB but now CSU.

The levels of gloss achievable is unbelievable and provided you look after the coating it will stay good for years, making it so much easier to keep

Due to where I park I would end up with a lot of fallout and the coatings tend to clog quite quickly, but a combination of Purge and Citraclean beings it up like new.

From experience I would definitely recommend using C2V3 over it once every 8-12 months and maybe a top up Exo coating every 24 months.

Paint Prep, Lighting and correct conditions are key with a coating. I like detailing my cars but I know my limits and know when it’s time for the experts.

6E64F900-713E-44A9-9D45-71D41B0B706E.jpeg

F16761FC-FA6C-4D9A-8702-7DB48A7C5A9B.jpeg

82D16972-D59E-483A-B0DB-055667C67A57.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Kamikaze banzai correction
Kamikaze Miyabi ceramic coating
Kamikaze Zipang coating as the top coat
All PPF coated with Kamikaze surface film coat
Wheels coated with Kamikaze stance rim coat
Glass coated with Kamikaze intenso glass coating
Fabric roof coated with Gyeon Fabric coat

ShaunB

RMS Regular
For me Ceramic Coating a car is a no brainer. @big_pete has done all my cars with gTechniq coatings. Originally CSB but now CSU.

The levels of gloss achievable is unbelievable and provided you look after the coating it will stay good for years, making it so much easier to keep

Due to where I park I would end up with a lot of fallout and the coatings tend to clog quite quickly, but a combination of Purge and Citraclean beings it up like new.

From experience I would definitely recommend using C2V3 over it once every 8-12 months and maybe a top up Exo coating every 24 months.

Paint Prep, Lighting and correct conditions are key with a coating. I like detailing my cars but I know my limits and know when it’s time for the experts.

View attachment 326417
Having seen first hand the photos like this being taken on my car, I have a whole new perspective.
Previously I assumed someone was on a step ladder.
But no, it's just 7ft Pete with his arm in the air :joy:

Last edited:

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
I was sketchy to begin with, however the level of gloss is insane!

Below is after a completely touchless anachem wash, snowfoam, cleanse of the wheels, Di vessel and wheels blown dry.

It's still 'dirty' but the shine and gloss you wouldn't notice!

Means I only contact wash every 2 weeks or so and I work around the docks so the car gets covered in coal dust, grain etc!

Worth it for ease of maintaining, but you still have to be careful!
IMG_20210618_213342.jpg
IMG_20210618_213325.jpg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Unless you’re going to wash your car every week or fortnight then you won’t get the best from it.
I’ve Gtechniq Ultra (9 year stuff) and Exo on mine and my wife’s mini with Anachem Hybrid is easier to wash. It responds better to the holy grail touchless wash of Anachem Articulate and Ultrafoam than my coated car ever did - same for my previous car which was coated with Gtechniq Lite and Exo. Apparently I didn’t wash it regularly enough.
All washed with the correct products either Gtechniq or Anachem products. Happy to post pics of my cleaning kit but I’ve been cleaning cars for a long time so have half an idea about what I’m at.
I’ve tried all the reactivation measures but no joy. My wash technique is good.
Save yourself £700 and improve you wash technique.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
100% worth it Hutch, I had the GTD done and it made washing a breeze, the GTi got a quick coat of Navi last week and washed yesterday, nowhere near as clean and really needed a contact wash, but I hadn’t the time.
Will be booking the GTi in to get done very shortly

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Is it a thing to have ceramic applied to a car that has Xpel PPF on it, or is that a waste of time?

You can put a hydrophobic coating on the film that is specifically for PPFit, it’s actually pretty cheap too as there isn’t an awful lot of prep to do

KevM

RMS Regular
Here's the thing....

Is it the Coating preserving the car, or the insistence on safe-washing that is preserving it?

Surely if brand new paint is respected in the same fashion as paint that someone spends £500+ coating, the results would be pretty damn similar over a period of ownership?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Proper washing is a must regardless of coating or not.

No coating will stand up to the abuse the local ‘wash & scratch’ car washes dish out.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think the cost is worth it as you are getting the whole cars paint corrected/enhanced before the coating so that’s most likely what the majority of the cost is. I don’t think the actual coating costs much it’s the prep and labour involved (afaik) but I’m no detailer.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have heard of coatings clogging and becoming ineffective if not treated appropriately. Not sure what the cause is or what it means though lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Here's the thing....

Is it the Coating preserving the car, or the insistence on safe-washing that is preserving it?

Surely if brand new paint is respected in the same fashion as paint that someone spends £500+ coating, the results would be pretty damn similar over a period of ownership?

Great question. You are somewhat correct if the only thing you are thinking about is putting wash defects into the paint.

The gloss off a coating, it’s slickness that helps keep the car clean and makes contact washing easier. High UV protection and also a high protection against contamination, particularly bird droppings etc It’s maintenance is all wash based. There is no need to be polishing and waxing the car or even wiping them with quick detailers etc.

They are an effective way of keeping your car looking it’s best with minimal maintenance. Less is more with maintaining them and that’s where most people go wrong with them.

Have heard of coatings clogging and becoming ineffective if not treated appropriately. Not sure what the cause is or what it means though lol

Another great point. It’s the hydrophobic top layer that gets clogged. This isnt the ceramic. Ceramic coatings on their own aren’t very hydrophobic, they are excellent at sheeting water though. Once the top layer gets clogged the car no longer beads. People wrongly equate beading to protection and it has absolutely nothing to do with it. The hydrophobic side is what helps with dirt repellency and the beading “looks nice” but it actually means very little.

Even with the hydrophobic side being clogged the ceramic is still doing its job. A harder surface than your paint, still deep gloss and still resistant to chemical contamination such as bird droppings etc.

The hydrophobic side is what the maintenance is for and when it gets clogged it’s always for one of two reasons.

1) By far the most common. People using chemicals what have their own hydrophobic (usually silicone or wax based) top up detail sprays. This then becomes the sacrificial layer that clogged the coating and the water behaviour you see is that of the top product. So water behaviour then isn’t as impressive or doesn’t last. That’s because the water behaviour you are seeing is the water behaviour of the products you have applied.

This is why I always recommend pure shampoos and snowfoams. If you are going to use a topper spray, use the one from the same brand as the coating.

All these “reset” or “ceramic coating” foams and shampoos are is a Si02 based shampoo or spray. Often from a different brand than the other. People then mix and match from brands. If you have invested in coating your car, either use a completely pure shampoo like Anachem Gleam or stick to your coating brands maintenance products.

2) The car isn’t getting washed frequently enough. Dirt left embedded on the surface will naturally clog any hydrophobic surface. We see this the most often with people that leave there cars quite a while (say 6 weeks or so) then try to do touchless washes. Why they think that will work makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Touchless washing might work on a weekly basis, but generally a careful contact wash is always the best way to clean your car.

Again regular contact washing with the right products is all that is required. Then around the 6 month point a wash with a citrus degreaser and some fallout remover is ideal at removing any built up contamination.

If this procedure hasn’t been followed it may mean replacing the hydrophobic layer, which isn’t expensive to do at all but it just makes sense to maintain it instead.

That’s as complicated as it gets. For those that think that seems like an awful lot of hassle. These are the basics of washing any car correctly and buying the correct maintenance products is actually usually cheaper than buying the likes of meguiars or turtle wax shampoo etc out of Halfords. The wash process takes no longer to do etc.

Now that COVID restrictions are disappearing we are going to be holding another “how to wash and maintain your car” morning completely free.

95% of people that attend say they didn’t realise they weren’t washing their car properly so it’s worthwhile attending. You will wash and dry a coated car safely, quicker than a non coated and this is a great way to learn how.

Ill post the dates up when I have them firmed up.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
@Davey@Procar did a paint correction and applied CarPro Lite to my old A6. The result and gloss/colour was fantastic and very easily maintained, however I did miss being able to take an afternoon and put a coat of wax/sealant on the car. The 'Lite' coatings are great for anyone wanting to give ceramic a go however, as I think CarPro only quote 9-12 months protection on it so you're not buying into the ceramic coating scene long-term.

Can't speak to the whole touchless wash thing, as I've never done it. If I don't have time to do a proper contact wash, it doesn't get washed.

I totally get the appeal of a ceramic coating in terms of ease of maintenance etc., but I enjoy cleaning the car and taking my time at it. Ceramic sort of ties your hands on that, whether you think that's a good or a bad thing.

20200814_200640.jpg

20200424_191706.jpg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Davey@Procar did a paint correction and applied CarPro Lite to my old A6. The result and gloss/colour was fantastic and very easily maintained, however I did miss being able to take an afternoon and put a coat of wax/sealant on the car. The 'Lite' coatings are great for anyone wanting to give ceramic a go however, as I think CarPro only quote 9-12 months protection on it so you're not buying into the ceramic coating scene long-term.

Can't speak to the whole touchless wash thing, as I've never done it. If I don't have time to do a proper contact wash, it doesn't get washed.

I totally get the appeal of a ceramic coating in terms of ease of maintenance etc., but I enjoy cleaning the car and taking my time at it. Ceramic sort of ties your hands on that, whether you think that's a good or a bad thing.

View attachment 326697

View attachment 326698

CarPro CQuartz Lite only actually claim 6 months, but with even the laziest of maintenance, it can get to a year.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I am all for a ceramic coating, makes the car soooo much easier to clean. Make sure and get wheels done too.

You can’t be lazy with your wash technique though, otherwise you’re wasting your money.

I would also not get carried away with some of the higher end super expensive coatings. Some of the cheaper coatings are as good as you’ll need, realistically who’s ever keeping a car 9 years to see if the coating will last that long?! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pete did the 944 straight after it’s respray and the mirror gloss finish was insane.

0560ADE4-B34B-43EF-9FC8-252D5281BDC0.jpeg
3F32AF40-0388-403C-AF5D-7169FC3436BB.jpeg
E8970C44-7484-4D9F-8B72-BC7C3315232D.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I thought the beauty of fancy ceramic coatings was an end to swirl marks no matter how unfussy your washing technique was.

It’s not magic, no ceramic coating will stand up to a poor washing process.

But the people who tend to go for these coatings are not the sort to take their car to car washes.