Cleaning yellowed white plastic

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Just wondering if anyone has any tried and tested methods of restoring plastic from a yellow tinge back to white. From what I have read its Bromine within the plastic reacting to UV radiation.

Thanks

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 300

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
It can't be saved unfortunately. Well none of the tanks I've ever tried cleaning have become any less yellow.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Not really what im wanting to hear @Paul RS, what all did you try. Did you ever sand them? I have seen a few videos on youtube using peroxide and uv light which seems to get average results, but I don't want to risk it as I cant replace the tank

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I've never tried sanding them, the tanks I tried to clean were opaque so I couldn't get away with it. Tried bleach, but it didn't do much either :worried:

What about painting yours? Would that look really out of place?

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Yea paint is a last resort I suppose, I just wanted to try and keep it original as possible. I might try this method if I can get hold of the product.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
CAn't really tell what kind of tank it is from the pic....what's it off?
If its like a translucent washer fluid tank then I've had success with leaving them to bleach for a few hours, then put them in the dishwasher. As long as they are well cleaned and the wife is away, the dishwasher is great.

If it's more like an opaque white plastic then Mer polish can do a good job. (If it's even available any more?)
Or might be worth a wee blast with a heatgun. All depends on the type of plastic.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Its the petrol tank from a Honda QR 50 motorbike. I would assume its UV damage and ground in dirt that has caused the discolouration, as you can see its white were the stickers were. I'm going to give that a go @christyb, the product in the link is around £30 a bottle.

I tried 1500 grit sandpaper last night @Odhran with poor results, so not sure how well Autosol would work. I will maybe try it on a small section later.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 192

jimcupra

RMS Regular
In your link they are using peroxide, surely bleach would have the same effect. I have used brake fluid to clean cast metal parts before, maybe try that it won't damage the plastic but should remove the stains.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Acetone is another one worth a try. You'll find it in the same kind of shop where you get the peroxide.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.