Clocked vw

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
Do you have his actual address or did he meet you at a petrol station?

Its surprising how much someone can have a change of heart when you arrive in a car with five men in it.
Yes I do have his actual address....I'm not sure I know 5 men tho lol.

The car check was very misleading tbh looking back on it. When I did the NI reg check, it has listed it as being on the car from 2013. Which is not true, but anyway....*sigh*

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
You seem to be obsessing over this reg thing now.......
Look in simple terms its a English car so English reg which i assume was a 13/63 plate, then at some point it was put on a personal reg the that was taken off and the original english reg was put back on yes? And then when it came to NI at some point it was re-regged with a NI plate and maybebanother personal plate yes?

The car was manufacturer/registered in the UK in 2013 thus the whole statement the ni reg was on the car from 2013 its kinda meaninglessness

These car checks you've done was it a proper HPI check or vcheck? Both use the reg and vin number to confirm details or did you get one of the cheap £3.99 jobbies? Because them cheap jobs aren't work the paper they are wrote on

Please just bring the car to your mechanic and get it checked over just say you bought it recently and want a once over done and mention the steering noise and vibration.

Whatever you do don't mention who you bought it off or your plans to bring the man to court because most mechanics will not want to get involved in any way shape or form that's probably why the ones you've already contacted haven't got back to you

And get in contact with @NeilMcG on here he's a highly recommended solicitor on here

Last edited:

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
You seem to be obsessing over this reg thing now.......
Look in simple terms its a English car so English reg which i assume was a 13/63 plate, then at some point it was put on a personal reg the that was taken off and the original english reg was put back on yes? And then when it came to NI at some point it was re-regged with a NI plate and maybebanother personal plate yes?

The car was manufacturer/registered in the UK in 2013 thus the whole statement the ni reg was on the car from 2013 its kinda meaninglessness

These car checks you've done was it a proper HPI check or vcheck? Both use the reg and vin number to confirm details or did you get one of the cheap £3.99 jobbies? Because them cheap jobs aren't work the paper they are wrote on

Please just bring the car to your mechanic and get it checked over just say you bought it recently and want a once over done and mention the steering noise and vibration.

Whatever you do don't mention who you bought it off or your plans to bring the man to court because most mechanics will not want to get involved in any way shape or form that's probably why the ones you've already contacted haven't got back to you

And get in contact with @NeilMcG on here he's a highly recommended solicitor on here
The check I did was car check and cost £9. The one on the original reg cost £11.50. Anyway I know what you mean about not saying to the mechanic about the background as such. Could anyone recommend any mechanics in belfast east/south? I had been talking to one about the car as I had taken it to him to get a camera installed but that was before we knew the history, he now is aware of everything because I told him not to bother once we'd discovered everything. He was very knowledgeable and nice though. Thanks for the link for the solicitor, I'll give him a try. I'm totally wrecked with all this, can't sleep or focus on anything else and my health is getting worse 😞

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The check I did on car check for the English reg shows it was on the car from 2013 (new) -the personalised reg was on the car from 11/07/2016 and then it was removed again back to the original reg on 01/06/2018. The last reg on the English plate was 07/04/2018, would the English (original) reg have been transferred to another car after this date?

The original registration tends to stay in limbo, then get re-applied to the vehicle when a personal reg is taken off. That would assume that the original reg itself was not sold to someone else.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
The original registration tends to stay in limbo, then get re-applied to the vehicle when a personal reg is taken off. That would assume that the original reg itself was not sold to someone else.
I didn't know an original reg could get sold or reused. I might try dvla to see if they'll tell us if it has been reused.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
A check on the current registration that is on the car now is all that's required. If you check any other reg, then you are likely checking another car.
The current reg check should list all previous regs OK, but they are either dead, or on another car.

As for your vibration, I'd but money on it that it's a driveshaft, they are quite prone to that.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
A check on the current registration that is on the car now is all that's required. If you check any other reg, then you are likely checking another car.
The current reg check should list all previous regs OK, but they are either dead, or on another car.

As for your vibration, I'd but money on it that it's a driveshaft, they are quite prone to that.
That sounds expensive 😫

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
Just phoned the bank, they can't do anything, so no hope there either. Its court or fix it and both could be dead money again.

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
And was either of them checks done via HPI or vcheck? Did you also input the vin number to confirm the identity of the car? Probably not by the sounds of it. They are the only reliable ones with vcheck being able to do a taxi search aswell.

What is the current reg and the original english reg?

Again your back to obsessing and guessing things are going to be expensive please for your own health and well being please STOP your doing yourself no good, please just go to your usual mechanic and if you don't have one maybe as friends/family who there usual mechanic is.

And from experience phoning the bank to see about getting money back is a waste of time.

I did say to you earlier to go into your local branch and speak to the bank manager they have more power that someone in a call centre,
Technically what this man has done could be considered fraud by deception. But again a solicitor would confirm this.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
And was either of them checks done via HPI or vcheck? Did you also input the vin number to confirm the identity of the car? Probably not by the sounds of it. They are the only reliable ones with vcheck being able to do a taxi search aswell.

What is the current reg and the original english reg?

Again your back to obsessing and guessing things are going to be expensive please for your own health and well being please STOP your doing yourself no good, please just go to your usual mechanic and if you don't have one maybe as friends/family who there usual mechanic is.

And from experience phoning the bank to see about getting money back is a waste of time.

I did say to you earlier to go into your local branch and speak to the bank manager they have more power that someone in a call centre,
Technically what this man has done could be considered fraud by deception. But again a solicitor would confirm this.
I know, I suffer from bad anxiety as it is. I tried the ni reg into v check and it says the reg is not attached to any vehicle and that its not a valid reg. Typed the vin into vincheck.info and it's coming up invalid vin.

Last edited:

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
I know, I suffer from bad anxiety as it is. I tried the ni reg into v check and it says the reg is not attached to any vehicle and that its not a valid reg. Typed the vin into vincheck.info and it's coming up invalid vin.

Why are you inputting your vin into a random American website? It's never going to work.

Your meant to put the vin in on the HPI site whe you purchase a check or on vcheck itll show the last 4 digits of the vin when you purchase a report. If its only recently recieved the NI reg it won't turn up in vcheck for a period of time somtimes I've found

robbiers2000

RMS Regular
Drives
ford focus tdci
If you can prove he was the one that changed the registration to contain its history. It would defo be a good starting there to prove if he was the one being deceptive or not.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
If you can prove he was the one that changed the registration to contain its history. It would defo be a good starting there to prove if he was the one being deceptive or not.
Thank you, thats something i didnt think of. I'll ring dvla to see if they can give me that information.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
I got the wheels balanced this morning and it seems they were way out. I've been told though I'll probably need a fittings kit as the rims are audi, to completely eradicate the shake, but it's a good bit better than what it was. I asked about the noise when it was on full lock, the mechanic drove it briefly and said it was driving fine but when you brake and turn there's a noise which I need checked out but he thinks the drive shaft is OK. I'm taking it on Wednesday to get checked over so we'll see how bad it is....

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
On the small claims court front. I was ripped off by an electric gate installer who basically took a substantial deposit and then ghosted me for a year. A few solicitors basically said the same thing you are being told - small claims court and there's no guarantees. I had a solicitor do the initial attempts to frighten the person into returning my deposit, when that failed i took them to small claims and did all the paperwork myself. Fast forward 2 years and I got my money back plus interest via the enforcement of judgments office who levied his bank account. I had to pay to get my judgment enforced, but i still recovered about 80% of my total outlay and was able to move on. Have a solicitor write to this guy to put the squeeze on him. Failing that, small claims court. I have a feeling that if the guy has plenty to hide, he may not let it get that far.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
On the small claims court front. I was ripped off by an electric gate installer who basically took a substantial deposit and then ghosted me for a year. A few solicitors basically said the same thing you are being told - small claims court and there's no guarantees. I had a solicitor do the initial attempts to frighten the person into returning my deposit, when that failed i took them to small claims and did all the paperwork myself. Fast forward 2 years and I got my money back plus interest via the enforcement of judgments office who levied his bank account. I had to pay to get my judgment enforced, but i still recovered about 80% of my total outlay and was able to move on. Have a solicitor write to this guy to put the squeeze on him. Failing that, small claims court. I have a feeling that if the guy has plenty to hide, he may not let it get that far.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I had thought about using that strategy myself, just try a solicitors letter first and then if nothing, pursuing small claims by myself. I'm a little worried about the stress and how long it may be drawn out though, my health is particularly affected by stress unfortunately. I'm glad things worked out in your favour.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
You can do multiple things here at once to try and resolve the matter. The sooner you start making moves in one direction, the better you will feel in your own head.
I would get a solicitors letter off to him, for all it costs. Speak to @NeilMcG on here. You never know, it might prompt a response, but i wouldn't get too bogged down in trying to chase this guy, as it could prove expensive, stressful and unfruitful. It seems you have had a taste of this seller already and sounds like he intends to swerve you and this car.

I would get the car in with a mechanic as soon as you can, have him give it the once over and fix any faults. A driveshaft, or a wishbone and a few ball joints wont break the bank and you will know what you have then. Mileage is just a number, it does not mean its any less safe or reliable than a car with 50k, and it could end up serving you well for years to come. I understand you have probably overpaid for the car but try to make the best of the bad situation, and driving away at it is the best way to gain something back from it to begin with.

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
Thank you all again for your advice and support. So we took it to vw this morning for a check and it has came back with multiple things..brake pads front and rear, brake discs badly scored, suspension bushes have play, recommended to replace both, drop links have play. Oil leak, pretty bad apparently, passenger side backing plate bent out of shape, making contact with disc, break fluid overdue, front right tyre different size to the rest, rubbing on wheel arch (tyre place didn't mention this) and rear tyre needs replaced. Then there the heater not working also. And this passed mot 2 weeks ago....

dddrrift

RMS Regular
I dont think VW would have been my first port of call. If im honest that list isnt terrible, and would be typical of any car with over 100k on it, never mind 200k. I would take your list to an independent mechanic, let them look at it and get it sorted. Set of pads front and rear, 2 drop links, oil leak fixed, backing plate bent back into shape and a tyre or two. The heater could well be a cheap fix also, heater resistor or something like that.

I appreciate your trying to condemn the car as you feel its junk now, but try to look at it from a positive perspective

Novice121

RMS Regular
OP
N
Spoke to an independent mechanic eho said the work would probably cost near £1000, he also thinks the mot has been a 'backdoor' job. Those things should've been picked up. So a grand more for a car with 233k miles on? I'd be worried about the engine going or something else major...

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Spoke to an independent mechanic eho said the work would probably cost near £1000, he also thinks the mot has been a 'backdoor' job. Those things should've been picked up. So a grand more for a car with 233k miles on? I'd be worried about the engine going or something else major...
£1000 for the list above seems excessive from an independent. Id try somewhere else, without telling the back story this time. Not sure where you are located but you will get plenty of recommendations on here for decent local mechanics if needed.