Clutch Pedal Sticking

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The clutch pedal in the Passat sticks momentarily (less than a second) half way up. It only happens when cold, and stops after 5 minutes or so I assume when it gets a bit of heat. Could the spring cause this and need greased? Levels are ok in the reservoir so I don’t think it’s fluid or pressure related. Or am I being naive?!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don’t the master cylinders in these give bother?

Incidentally I bled the clutch on the mk5 yesterday as it wasn’t feeling brilliant after doing the brakes and I forgot to do the clutch too. The fluid that came out was like tar. Much improved now.

brendy7

RMS Regular
From my experience in work if the pedal completely goes it's the master but if you get half pedal and are able to pump it up to get a full pedal it's the slave more so with the 6 speed if it's 5 speed the slave will be on the outside of the box they don't tend to give much bother that way

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
It’s the 6 speed. There’s no pumping needed, it literally just sticks halfway for a split second then pops out.

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Had the same issue on my dads octavia, was the also the master.

I'd initially replaced the slave but obviously didn't resolve, so swapped out the master. It's an easy enough job, just watch out for the wee plastic clip that holds it to the pedal.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
I’m having this issue on her CC. Pedal will feel fine, then randomly it will go soft and stick halfway. Could last a day or a few miles.. then feel fine again. Clutch seems to work no problem