Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Such is the life of a purveyor of skite, there’s rarely a day goes by when something doesn’t dung itself. The TT was retired from daily duties because I think a driveshaft is about to go. At least I think it’s that anyway. I’ve a few runs to do next week so instead of risking it I dropped it in and lifted the keys to the gypsy Range Rover.

Filled with DERV and headed home. Short time later the entire fuel tank decided to exit the chat onto the malone road.

Fortunately I always have a ratchet strap or two lying so was able to limp it home and onwards to the workshop.

IMG_5498.jpeg

IMG_5499.jpeg

Not actually a bad bodge either. Nearly a permanent solution if it didn’t mean the side door was unuseable.

Safety 5th.

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

Yes that’s the ticket. Tripled over and bolted in.

IMG_5506.jpeg

Painted. Basically full rebuild of the fuel system there. Lost the receipt.

IMG_5511.jpeg

Hopefully that’ll keep it going a while longer.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Typically I was in my ‘best’ clothes bombing over to a kids birthday party which I was already late for. Landed in absolutely stinking after rolling around in the gutters for 20 minutes, hands covered in Waxoyl and sweat pishing off me.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The amount of times I used to arrive fashionably late looking like I'd just changed a gearbox by the side of the road was a bit embarrassing. Nothing like escaping the ignominy of the recovery truck with a well thought out bodge, the bodgier it is, the more man points are awarded lol.

'Fixed' a broken clutch cable on one of my old maestro's in a filling station car park on a Saturday night in Ayr while on holiday with two posts from a 13A plug and a few washers bought from the hardware stand. She was impressed, no matter what her face said.. 8o|

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Hang on …. Range Rover? What now? Where’s that come from?
Struggling to keep up. And not at all envious of your fleet….nope…not at all.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The jobs never end. I've not even looked near the M5 but I know it's going to be a complete time / money black hole when I eventually get round to it. Before that I just want to tie up all loose ends so I'm not flicking between one job and another.

The TT got a new driveshaft and I'm happy to report that there is no more clunk on take off. This is excellent as it was really starting to drive me mad.

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg

IMG_5618.jpeg

IMG_5620.jpeg

The next job was to get the MK5 finished.

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_5629.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

I'm very pleased with how that turned out in the end.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Any warranty with this thing @Ruairi83 :joy:

Lock wasn't doing locking things on the remote. Easy and cheap repair.

IMG_6036.jpeg

And TT goes back in and this comes out for the month. Have to rotate otherwise tax bill is a fortune or nothing gets used. First world problems lol

IMG_6040.jpeg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Still a knock in the TT and it was doing my head in. After looking round for ages I noticed a slightly cleaner spot on the downpipe and found it was actually knocking on the top of the steering rack on full throttle. Even though the engine mounts were all brand new it was still doing it. So instead of sorting the problem out properly I just added powerflex inserts to the mounts.

Did the old dogbone

IMG_6424.jpeg

IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

Plus the two ends that insert into the subframe.

IMG_6428.jpeg

Then pulled the NS engine mount.

IMG_6429.jpeg

Only to discover the insert was for the OS mount. There was a lot of swearing.

So passenger side this time, which is a bollocks altogether. Fortunately managed to fit it without fully removing the mount.

F0AC93C7-838A-4E3A-8E64-6F2DDEDC4FCB.jpeg

Quick run out the road and the knocking is 100% away, though the mounts were seriously harsh, so took the dogbone out and made a hybrid with one OE bush and one poly. Much better and no knock!!!

Coog senior gets this next month while I get the M5 ready for the body shop so want it to be 100% for him. Now, thankfully it is. Ish...

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Still a knock in the TT and it was doing my head in. After looking round for ages I noticed a slightly cleaner spot on the downpipe and found it was actually knocking on the top of the steering rack on full throttle. Even though the engine mounts were all brand new it was still doing it. So instead of sorting the problem out properly I just added powerflex inserts to the mounts.

Did the old dogbone

View attachment 415635

View attachment 415640

View attachment 415639

Plus the two ends that insert into the subframe.

View attachment 415638

Then pulled the NS engine mount.

View attachment 415637

Only to discover the insert was for the OS mount. There was a lot of swearing.

So passenger side this time, which is a bollocks altogether. Fortunately managed to fit it without fully removing the mount.

View attachment 415636

Quick run out the road and the knocking is 100% away, though the mounts were seriously harsh, so took the dogbone out and made a hybrid with one OE bush and one poly. Much better and no knock!!!

Coog senior gets this next month while I get the M5 ready for the body shop so want it to be 100% for him. Now, thankfully it is. Ish...
I imagine getting a courtesy car from you is like getting childcare from Jimmy saville, or dieting advice from me.

Gambit

RMS Regular
i found the black series bushes are brutal on anything thats being used on the road - learnt that the hard way also after getting lower wishbone bushes replaced on scoob a good few years back

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I had those powerflex engine mounts in the S3. For all of thirty minutes before they got ripped out again 😅 Vibrations were so bad I could barely see the steering wheel 😅

For suspension stuff, subframe mounts, stuff like that - they are very good for that and no issues at all.

For engine/gearbox mounts - nope!

Unless it's a full on race car or something.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have them in the diff mounts of the mx5, I thought the bearings were gone in it after I fitted them , zero compliance at all. Horrible to drive on the road but brilliant at standing starts on events.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I actually didn’t think it was too bad

My old Mini had more vibration through the vibratechnics mounts 😂

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Yep, I've all the rear e34 suspension in black series bushes, and they're grand, and the front end is all spherical and solid bushings, with revshift engine and gearbox mounts. It's not bad at all for vibrations etc.not anywhere near undriveable on the road level lol.

Will be changing the trailing arm bushes to M5 spherical ones next though.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
TT continues to test my patience. Rear diff is making a bit of a whine so decided to swap it out. I guess one good thing is the price of parts because there’s so many being broken at the minute. Ended up with a full AWD drivetrain for a few quid.

Full subframe assy with the diff in it. Safety first… of course.

IMG_7007.jpeg

Stripped the diff out

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg

Thought I’d service it while it was on the bench. New gear oil, haldex oil and filter.

Old oil in it was in great shape so fingers crossed the diff is OK.

IMG_7013.jpeg

So much easier.

IMG_7014.jpeg

Now time to remove the old one.

IMG_7015.jpeg

Should get the old one out and new one in tomorrow all being well and hopefully that’s it!