Correct Position Of R Plates?????

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MILLER_102

RMS Regular
Drives
CBR1000rr
last sat nite i got stopped on the way home from banbridge, the policeman started lookin around the car and noticed that i had the r plates at the bottom of the front and back windows, he threatened me with a £60 fine and 3 points! although i didnt get the fine or points im curious now. can you be fined and get points for this? ^o)

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
That seems a bit unfair if they were clearly displayed and full size. Mine sit at the bottom left of the back window (no obstruction at all) and front window (admittedly behind the wiper). You can get points for no R plates but I doubt he'd be able to just cause you have them on the bottom of the window.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
i dont think it says they need to go in any particular place as long as they are displayed on the car! he was probably just trying to scare you as he has nothing better to do with his time.

soundz_good

Drives
Avensis T-Spirit
JayT said:
i dont think it says they need to go in any particular place as long as they are displayed on the car! he was probably just trying to scare you as he has nothing better to do with his time.

They need to be clearly displayed - as far as I know this could mean if you have a window wiper blocking them then you could get done, however it would take a complete cnut to do it. Or as JayT says he was probably bored.

Daisy

RMS Regular
no i dont think that there is a particular place in which they are to be situated....

but its banbridge mate ! that says it all....

MILLER_102

RMS Regular
OP
MILLER_102
Drives
CBR1000rr
thats what i thought! :relieved: although my windows were tinted he didnt notice it as it was at 2am!:p but i think he had nothing else to do and decided to try and scare me! lol

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Well if you're tints are very dark i have heard of the cops making people put them outside the glass so they are clearly visible.

But then recently they have been pullin people for tints, so if they were that dark im sure he'd have fined you for that.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Gobsheene said:
But then recently they have been pullin people for tints, so if they were that dark im sure he'd have fined you for that.

Think thats only if you have tints on your front door windows, you can have as dark as you want from the B pillar back.

The R plates dont have to be displayed at the top of the window, as long as they are clearly visible and not obstructing your view.

I had mine trimmed down in size for the full year and never had any bother about it Just dont drive like an idiot and behave yourself and you shouldnt have any trouble.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
i always had mine at the bottom of the window, they were obstructing my view as the top of the window is the bit i look out. because im a lanky gimp.

ZoomZoomZoe

Drives
Eunos Roadster
Just out of interest, I've often wondered about displaying R plates on a convertible - how on earth do you show one at the back if you've got the top down?

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Alcozojo said:
Just out of interest, I've often wondered about displaying R plates on a convertible - how on earth do you show one at the back if you've got the top down?

Stick it to the back of yer head

Bambi

RMS Regular
as far as im aware r plates should be clearly displayed on the front and back of the vechile. and thats it . end of

avo5021

RMS Regular
OK the official answer is they should be displayed to the front and the back of the vehicle and should be full size...

there is nothing to say they have to be in your window full stop, although if they are in your window and your window is of a dark tint then you could get a voucher for £60 as they wouldnt be clearly visible..

My rule of thumb is (and i'm a fair man... ask some of the others..) if the white bit isnt looking too white behind the tints then its not displayed correctly... i would ask for it to be moved then it saves us all some writing..

There is a big increase at theminute of people cutting them right down and i know alot of the guys are picking up on theis and dishing out vouchers.. i wouldnt but thats me.. far easier for all of us to go to Halfrauds and get another set..

Martin

MILLER_102

RMS Regular
OP
MILLER_102
Drives
CBR1000rr
but thats the thing mine werent cut down and were clearly displayed at the bottom of the window. you can easily see the r plate through the tint as its not that dark!

chip

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang Cobra
The problem is that it used to be stated that on the plates where to be displayed on the front window on the left upper and the rear upper right. But due to visiblilty issues i think it was change to the clearly visible on the front and rear of the vehicle.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
chip said:
The problem is that it used to be stated that on the plates where to be displayed on the front window on the left upper and the rear upper right. But due to visiblilty issues i think it was change to the clearly visible on the front and rear of the vehicle.
where was this stated?:relieved:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Chip thats how I had mine positioned. Front, passenger side at the top and for the rear, driver side, top corner. IMO thats where they should be.

Rather than looking cool, cutting a circle out of the plastic etc. Or putting them down at the bottom where they cant be seen.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
policemen in banbridge are wee hitlers with nothing else to do but bug people about silly things. bar one or two

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.