court summons

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Breath test is also accepted, and is the norm.

Ive also heard a police witness report based on the persons behaviour in extreme cases is sufficient ( basically its obvious they are pissed ), or where thay cant get a sample for whatever reason.

big cyril

RMS Regular
stevieturbo said:
Breath test is also accepted, and is the norm.

Ive also heard a police witness report based on the persons behaviour in extreme cases is sufficient ( basically its obvious they are pissed ), or where thay cant get a sample for whatever reason.

Interesting - this is very poor science -
alcohol is metabolized and then partly excreted by the lungs hence the smell of alcohol on someone's breath the morning after however the amount detected by a meter would be variable depending upon a whole host of factors including the size of the person and the volume of their lungs ie a very poor accuracy test.

A blood alcohol level is incontrovertible however so it is a much better test.

To accept a witness report that the person's behaviour indicated drunkeness is just ridiculous - there are loads of possible medical things which could mimic drunkenness.

Reckon if I were accused in that situation (which is hypothetical as I never drink alcohol if I'm going to drive) I'd insist on the blood test , especially as if it took a while for the FMO to arrive that would improve the chances of a negative test if it was a borderline situation.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
big cyril said:
Surely the only evidence of alcohol intoxication accepted by a court would be a blood alcohol level?
Not at all, a conviction can be got via a breath test reading above the legal limit. You can request a blood test and then get a sample of your blood to take away for independent testing if you really think you are being wrongly charged.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
stevieturbo said:
True, a police officers word is accepted in a court that a person is in an unfit state to drive. It actually makes common sense for it to be as you can't force someone to take a breath test and certainly can't hold them down and take a blood sample lol.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Aye , see what you mean , a cop could pronounce someone not fit to drive.
Still gobsmacked that the main evidence against drink drivers is the breathalyser!
(Not disputing this , just amazed!)

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Hyundai_Coupe said:
is it not legal requirment that you have your insurance and tax details displayed?
and relevant docs in the car.

not in the north of ireland you only have to display your tax and mot in the front window unlike in the republic where you have your tax and insurance in the front window.

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Was talking to a fella who calibrates different bits of equipment, he reckons someone who was to suck on a copper coin before being breath tested will cause the machine to malfunction, dunno how true it is.
But at the end of the day dont drink and drive, its the people getting caught the next day I would have sympathy for thou

big cyril

RMS Regular
tyroneblade said:
how long does it take drink 2 go outta ur system anyways?

I heard a unit per hour quoted but not exactly sure of this.
So if you had five pints , finishing at midnight , then you'd have cleared it all by ten o'clock the next morning.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Is it true that sucking on a copper 2p piece can temporarily disguise the alcohol in a breath test?

Not that I'd ever wish to try it, but have heard of it being tried and teasted.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.