Cupra 290ish

Mackers91

RMS Regular
New family wagon purchased last night. With my partner now working from home full time she no longer needed the diesel FR Leon so away down the road it went.

She loved how it drove and inside space but wanted something abit more fun.

So in steps this.

2016 Cupra 290
Has some decent mods already
Resonator delete
Stage 2 intercooler
R600 intake
Turbo elbow and turbo muffler delete
Uprated organic clutch
Devil developments stage 1 map (386 hp)

Goes like absolute stink. Have afew more things planned for it so will update as I go. Nice to have something worthy of bringing to meets again!

Some crap pictures when up viewing it last night.

IMG-20230907-WA0013~2.jpg

IMG-20230907-WA0012~2.jpg

IMG-20230907-WA0014~2.jpg

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Nice and a nice spec, mine is the same without the intercooler and going for a stage 1 once I get some time.

As @pablo said really underrated. I had a 280 manual and now my 290. I love it and have over 30k on it in near 2 years. They are a great daily and I recommend keeping super through it.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
Loved my estate. Only downside was wheel hop!
Forgot to add that to the list of work already done it has a uprated dog bone mount. Which apparently helps alot. I haven't noticed much it the way of wheel hop on it so I'm guessing it works well 😂

Nice and a nice spec, mine is the same without the intercooler and going for a stage 1 once I get some time.

As @pablo said really underrated. I had a 280 manual and now my 290. I love it and have over 30k on it in near 2 years. They are a great daily and I recommend keeping super through it.
Solo's 99 Ron super is 5mins from the house so just going to keep it ran on that!

Gave it a proper exterior clean yesterday paint really doesn't have a mark on it.

PXL_20230908_180314054.jpg

PXL_20230908_180254906.jpg

PXL_20230908_180200742.jpg

Last edited:

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
First "mod" done this morning, removed the silica bag from the expansion tank. These are apparently very prone to splitting releasing silica beads into the coolant system which inturn can block up the heater matrix.

Will do a coolant flush every other service so it not being there shouldn't matter a great deal.

PXL_20230910_123700891.jpg

cupraricky

RMS Regular
First "mod" done this morning, removed the silica bag from the expansion tank. These are apparently very prone to splitting releasing silica beads into the coolant system which inturn can block up the heater matrix.

Will do a coolant flush every other service so it not being there shouldn't matter a great deal.

View attachment 410536
Was it awkward/difficult to maneuver gently out?

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
Was it awkward/difficult to maneuver gently out?

Not overly bud no, took a minute or 2 just to get it turned around so that it was coming out length ways but that was the hardest part. Those little forceps I used made it real easy.

Lee

RMS Regular
That looks great and I'm sure goes like the clappers. I wish I'd have known to take the silica bag out of our Leon 😑 it currently has no heater.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
That looks great and I'm sure goes like the clappers. I wish I'd have known to take the silica bag out of our Leon 😑 it currently has no heater.
I've toyed with doing it but afraid of splitting/damaging the silica pouch in the process of removal

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
I've toyed with doing it but afraid of splitting/damaging the silica pouch in the process of removal

You could always clamp off the coolant line from the expansion bottle first if your really worried. Then if it did split it would be handy enough cleaned up.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Father in law had to leave his newly acquired Golf GTD back to the dealer as a result of this, no heat on one side of the matrix.

The mind boggles why they do it

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
Few little bits changed/added to the car.

Got rid of the horrible 3D printed Cupra badges the previous owner had put on it and went back the copper Seat ones along with the Cupra letters on the rear.

IMG-20231007-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20231007-WA0002.jpg

Carrying on with the Copper theme I got some caliper paint to tidy up the original red paint which was flaking off badly. Little before and after.

IMG-20231007-WA0004.jpg

PXL_20231007_155602375.jpg

PXL_20231007_155541148.jpg

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
Looks class and I'm sure it shifts.. is it just front wheel drive?

Yes bud just FWD has an electronic haldex front diff which from my experience basically gets rid of torque steer. Still slightest bit of damp road and it'll light the wheels up in most gears. They do make a 4wd version but I believe they are quite rare.

Copper does look superb, nice job.

Would you ever lower it?

Cheers mate it surprised me how well they came out! Have thought about it, but at the same time the roads around here aren't great. A small drop would be nice. It's sitting like a monster truck in that last picture as I'd only just dropped it off the jack.

technics100

RMS Regular
Drives
Sportline 2.0t
Yes bud just FWD has an electronic haldex front diff which from my experience basically gets rid of torque steer. Still slightest bit of damp road and it'll light the wheels up in most gears. They do make a 4wd version but I believe they are quite rare.

Cheers mate it surprised me how well they came out! Have thought about it, but at the same time the roads around here aren't great. A small drop would be nice. It's sitting like a monster truck in that last picture as I'd only just dropped it off the jack.

Yeah I had a 2.0TFSI superb and it had 295bhp FWD.. just spun like mad.. I didn't have the electronic front diff :-(

CurtisG

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I love a Cupra seriously quick and so easy to live with!

You are in my area so if I see you around I’ll give you a wave.

Last edited:

Mackers91

RMS Regular
OP
Mackers91
Smallest of updates.

been looking for a set of mud flaps for the car for awhile. Rallyflaps make a set for them but just didn't think they'd look right.

Stumbled across these on Etsy of all places. Nice and minimal. Guy 3D prints them. Fit perfectly using factory screws. Time will tell how effective they are I suppose.

PXL_20231231_130446096.jpg

PXL_20231231_130437423.jpg

PXL_20231231_130419018.jpg

PXL_20231231_130430020.jpg

Have afew more bits on the way but will be mid January before it all arrives :worried: