Cyclist On Footpath

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

plexo

RMS Regular
OP
plexo
Drives
Mitsubishi
The joys of the law, im not sure how all this insurance caper will work, someone has told me that i may not loose my no claims because its a very minor accident, no doubt this is clearly someone trying to give me false hope lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If I was cycling on the pavement and fell on the account of a car door opening I would assume it would be my own fault.

I wouldnt ring a solicitor unless you had to. Let the insurance company sort it, thats what you pay them for.

Oh and good luck

just seems pointless to talk to a solicitor that wont be handling the case anyway. Its not an exact science so what they tell you might differ from the insurance companies solicitor. Therefore a pointless exercise.

Yes, but your insurance company will just throw money at the claimant regardless of the circumstances.

Which is cheaper for them...just throw money at him, or try and investigate and fight a court case ? And have they anything to lose by just throwing money away ? Nope...all that happens is they strip your NCB and put your premium up next year ( and subsequent years )

Jesus.

Probably should have finished him off in hindsight.

Told ya so lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If he cycles up there regularly, wait a few weeks then walk out in front of him. He'll no doubt be cycling on the footpath.

Bosh. Money back.

Ahh, but he wont have insurance, nevermind insurance who love to throw your money at people.

Pedestrian and an at fault cyclist....that would still be a battle with no winner.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Yes, but your insurance company will just throw money at the claimant regardless of the circumstances.

Not in my experience. I've successfully taken 2 cases to court and won both of them by using the insurance company to fight it. Both cases could have gone 50-50, as the other sides were looking for.

plexo

RMS Regular
OP
plexo
Drives
Mitsubishi
day time, around 4pm, he was on footpath, i parked up beside footpath obviously

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Can't see how this can be the case. I know a bloke who cycled off a footpath and into the path of a car pulling out of a junction. Very minor cuts to cyclist, no damage to car i might add. Cyclist then wanted to claim. Cyclist was prosecuted for dangerous cycling and as such was deemed to have been responsible for causing the accident. He put himself in that position and put himself in danger, as he was riding along a footpath and the motorist could not reasonably expect the cyclist to come from the footpath and out in front of him. Pedal cyclists are expected to observe the same rules as motorists, same road traffic legislation. Let him try and claim, don't think it will go anywhere.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Pedal cyclists are expected to observe the same rules as motorists, same road traffic legislation. Let him try and claim, don't think it will go anywhere.

In an ideal world this would be true.

How many cyclists have you ever heard of being prosecuted ? Hell, how many have you even heard of getting a warning by the police ?
Probably not too many.

pablo

RMS Moderator
lol mate of mine in work got a real hard time off them for going through a red light (pedestrian crossing with noone crossing).

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
lol mate of mine in work got a real hard time off them for going through a red light (pedestrian crossing with noone crossing).

Yes, but that would be an easy 3 point handout for the cops for a motorist.

Big difference...a telling off vs 3 pints and fine which can be pretty severe

Which would you prefer ? If all road users are supposed to abide by the same rules, there needs to be some equality as to how other road users are treated by the law.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I'm absolutely flabbergasted reading this. What a pathetic society we live in. Those ambulance chaser adverts need to change their slogan - "Where there's no blame, there's still a claim."

Is it not possible for you to say the door was already open and the blind old duffer cycled into it? You have a witness and he does not, correct?

plexo

RMS Regular
OP
plexo
Drives
Mitsubishi
Only 3 pages. It'll be tax,insurance and reg plates next (y)

Dont understand what you mean ?

Investigator was out took my details and i explained what happened.

Soon see what happens i guess :scream:

plexo

RMS Regular
OP
plexo
Drives
Mitsubishi
I'm absolutely flabbergasted reading this. What a pathetic society we live in. Those ambulance chaser adverts need to change their slogan - "Where there's no blame, there's still a claim."

Is it not possible for you to say the door was already open and the blind old duffer cycled into it? You have a witness and he does not, correct?

That would be bending the truth, which leads to nowhere, more so why would my door be sitting open?

My witness probably would be dismissed in court due to being a family member ( my mother, was doing my good deed for the day bringing shopping home lol)

pablo

RMS Moderator
Dont understand what you mean ?

Investigator was out took my details and i explained what happened.

Soon see what happens i guess :scream:

all discussions on cyclist lead to they should have tax insurance and reg plates. Nothing to do with your incident mate.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.