declare accidents only in the past 3 years?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
I'm 3 years accident free now, but I've still a problem with insurance people dis-liking me cos they ask have I had any accidents inth e past 5 years!

I just got a decent quote off of Bell there and they only asked me "did I have any accidents in the past 3?" I promptly said no :grinning:

anyone know of any others like this?

Pocket_rocket

same as points and convictions, they MUST be declared for 5 years to insurance but only affect it for the first three years, they cant add more money to your premium if it was 4 years ago.

big cyril

RMS Regular
As long as you answer the question asked then how can there be a problem?
ie if asked about claims in the last 3 years and your claim was 4 years ago then there is no issue.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
OP
slinky2000
Drives
Fiesta ST
exactly big cyril, every company I get asked about accidents in the past 5, I get shafted.

but the two I've got quotes fromt hat only ask about 3 years there cracking quotes compared to what I'm paying now really

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
All insurance companies are different. Some require you to be accident free for 3 years, some ask for 5 years.

As Big Cyril says, if you answer truthfully the question they ask you, where's the problem?

HMS Skyliner

Drives
R32 Skyliner GTR
Big cyril is correct they are all diff, some require acc details in past 3+5 years and in regards to convictions, some insurance companies will ask for them in past 3,5 and in some cases 7yrs like frizzells insurance they are very strict.
Not all insurance brokers that ask for them in the past 5yrs are going to hold it against you, as they may have some insurance companies on their books that require 3yrs and some require past 5yrs so they will ask to cover all the insurance companies requirements and run it past all their campanies to get you the best qte.

ps if you have had any accidents that where fault or non fault and those that are information only (as the other person paid it out of their pocket) you are still required to declare it to your insurance company. There are some companies out there that dont take any new business on board with 2 or more claims in past 2or3 years regardless of wether or not you where at fault.
Also for those that are not aware, if your car is nicked, it is still regared as a fault claim even though its not your fault it was nicked, you would be surprised how many people dont know that!!

Hope this helps

HMS Skyliner

Drives
R32 Skyliner GTR
Pocket_rocket said:
same as points and convictions, they MUST be declared for 5 years to insurance but only affect it for the first three years, they cant add more money to your premium if it was 4 years ago.

they can and will load for convictions past the 3yrs, it is up to the insurance company to decide if they want to load or not, for example some insurance companies will load 25% for a cd10 (careless driving) up to 5 yrs and some 7yrs or drink driving they can refuse cover for up to 3 5 or 7 years, its at their discresion.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.