Diesel system cleaner

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Are these any use and worth the few quid that they are?

As per my other thread, I'm putting a car back on the road after being stood for the last 3 years. Thankfully there isn't much diesel in the tank so I plan on putting a jerry can of fresh fuel in with some sort of additive/cleaner. Is there a proven 'better' quality product to put in with the fuel or is it snake oil? I plan on replacing the fuel filter after running the cleaner through the system (I'll be changing the filter when I service it this weekend, then again in a few weeks).

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've used Dipitane in the past and got good results. I think Halfords sell it.
Seems popular in ROI for getting diesel vehicles through the NCT.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Diesel doesn’t really age like petrol does. Biggest concern would be condensation build up on an empty tank. Would have been better stored full of fuel but not much you can do now. Definitely replace the filter and if it has a water trap keep an eye on it.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
IMG_20240320_101830.jpg

Had great results with this.
Treats around 4 full tanks. Petrol, diesel or even heating oil tanks.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
I thought I had some lying around, found this in the cubby under the house.

Do I premix it with the fuel in the jerry can or just buck it straight into the tank?

20240320_130513.jpg

G24NTR

RMS Regular
Millers Diesel Ecomax, used it for years with diesel cars adding with every tank. Contains 2-ethylhexyl nitrate which boosts cetane number, in addition to lubricants and cleaning agents.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Millers Diesel Ecomax, used it for years with diesel cars adding with every tank. Contains 2-ethylhexyl nitrate which boosts cetane number, in addition to lubricants and cleaning agents.

Seems a bit extreme adding to every tank.

My Mondeo has 253k on it and hasn’t had any of that stuff and it’s ok original injectors, pump turbo etc

Sham1

RMS Regular
Biggest problem with long term diesel storage now is diesel bug, caused by the bio diesel element and condensation. Have heard of issues with storage tanks on farms and vintage tractors that sit all winter.
More info here. Might be worth sucking a bit out, or removing the level sensor from the top and having a look.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I have a few customers who own large fishing boats, and the diesel bug and black sludge is a real problem.

They treat with a product called grotamar which I got in for them.

Perhaps overkill for you, but cleaning the tank out and using fresh fuel is a definite

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I’ve been a big fan of the Forte diesel treatment for years. It’s cured many a sticky injector and rough idle, especially when I was getting it by the gallon and running stuff on it neat for a short period…

1711062270344.jpeg

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Another vote for dipetane, use it in both diesel motors and the Camaro almost continuously. Definitely one of few I've tried over last 20 years that does what it says. Have put a lot of friends and family on to it and swear by it now. Definitely notice increased fuel economy too, it is definitely not snake oil.