Digi tacho?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I've been driving HGV'S for about 5 years now but only last week started a company that uses digi tachos so not too savvy with this.

Today I let the lorry run away down a hill. When I noticed the light flash on the tacho it said "30 overspeed" I know it had run away to over 60mph by 2-5mph. Our cards are downloaded every night then analysed by tachomaster. The boy in our depot who deals with this said I could expect an infringment letter. But can I actually be booked for it? Or just a letter of warning to the manager about my card?

Last week I know I done just over 60mph but it didn't flash up the "30 overspeed" on the tacho screen

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
big brother is always watching, should it be tachos or trackers, hence why you hate getting stuck behind a tescos lorry, 40mph everywhere apart from the super slab. DOE may issue a penality if card is inspected

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I was told that vosa will only take action if it's 3 strikes over a certain period of time. But I'm unsure of that

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
I drive HGV's too.

Relax, it's very easily done and I'd be very surprised if you hear anything at all about it.

If VOSA were to chase up every single HGV driver who ran over the limiter by a few miles an hour, then they'd have a mountain of work & very little time to do anything else!

Know from experience that some companies I've worked for had/have their own internal penalty system for minor infringements, could be that type of letter he's talking about! Just keep yourself right on the driving hours/rest times etc... (y)

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Sit tight and see what comes of it, decent hgv drivers are becoming a rare commodity these days, stay within the law and you will be fine

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
The only reason I'm worried at all is because I'm still in the probationary period with this new employer. Although we know each other well as I was sub contracted to them for the last 7 years. I was just wondering what action would be taken

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
It'd be a pretty harsh employer to do anything given the circumstances, As I said, know from experience overspeed down a hill in a heavy HGV is pretty common and very easily done.

Regularly have to sit on the brakes on hill on the motorway From Glengormley to Belfast, particularly when heavily loaded - and still have to, even when I'm not!

Might sound like an 'auld boy' here, but sitting worrying about it isn't going to change anything anyway - so why ruin the rest of a perfectly good day?

Good luck anyway! (y)

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Lol I keep telling my self that. But there's always that wee notion in the back of your mind. There's no changing anything now. Cheers

K55

RMS Regular
Wouldn't worry.

I would often have let her run on down the hills within reason (70,80+). I was pulled by VOSA at Carlisle one morning and the friendly female officer never mentioned anything.

:imp:

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Sweet. Then second question is do the speed vans specify between HGV'S and cars? I know in my wee 7.5ton lorry I used to wizz past the speed vans at 56 all the time. But I'm just unsure in the artics. I haven't been caught that I know of, passed one between limavady and coleraine yesterday a fraction over 40 but I know there's a few mph leeway, just something I've been meaning to ask someone?

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Sweet. Then second question is do the speed vans specify between HGV'S and cars? I know in my wee 7.5ton lorry I used to wizz past the speed vans at 56 all the time. But I'm just unsure in the artics. I haven't been caught that I know of, passed one between limavady and coleraine yesterday a fraction over 40 but I know there's a few mph leeway, just something I've been meaning to ask someone?
I'm not 100% sure on this one but I wouldn't think so. It's the trained traffic officers with the hair dryer that would concern me. As for the over speed... I wouldn't give it the slightest thought. The company I work for can be quite strict and on the one or two occasions it's happened to me (because I wasn't paying attention on the downhill) they never said peep. Afaik once you hit 91kmh it give you 1 minute to get it back to 90 or under before recording an overspeed.

Chris_E90

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320d, GSXR
That overspeed thing flashing up just means ur over the limiter speed limit not the actual road limit, cos ours are limited to 52 we go over all the time headin down the ski slope from Glengormley into Belfast. You can be flagged up for an internal infringement depending who u work for but you cant be prosecuted for it because if your limited to say 55 and your on a motorway downhill at 60 it will flash up after 60 seconds I think it is but your not actually breaking the speed limit you have just went over the speed limiter if that makes sense

And yes the van does know the difference, I got the mate a start on class 1 and he got done doing 55 on Glenshane on 2nd day lol, poor lad then stuffed a merc out back of Castlecourt a few weeks ago aswell

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
None of you boys have retarders in your yokes.
On the merc's in our yard knock er down one or two and pull the retarder on and she still needs a dab or two of the brakes to stay at 56 on some hills when heavy... Easy mistaka to makea;)!

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
On the merc's in our yard knock er down one or two and pull the retarder on and she still needs a dab or two of the brakes to stay at 56 on some hills when heavy... Easy mistaka to makea;)!

The Scania will keep slowing down on the retarder the whole way down the glenshane fully loaded with muscles no bother. Same on the m2 hill . Rarely ever have to go near no 4 on the retarder. 1-3 will slow her right up on most stuff. But if you just wanna hold her at a speed on the hill Ya just tip the end button and she never moves. Merc retarder mustn't be as good just.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
@AIRFORCE1 Yep the merc's retarder is poor compared to the scania or Volvo stuff, in fact the whole truck is very poor by comparision!!!!!

avo5021

RMS Regular

Yes they do.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yes they do, I know a few guys in small vans who've got done for speeding on single carriageways over that diabolical 50mph limit for them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.