Do you warn other cars of speed traps by flashing?

Do you flash to warn of speed traps?

• Yes

Votes: 81 94.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Off topic a bit, but do they bother stopping trucks for doing more than 40 in a 60?
Well I know people who have been, but then I know some cops wont bother lorries as much.
Doesnt help when you see a cop though and have to get on the anchors while you get that awful sinking feeling. And the anxious wait for the next week to see if anything arrives in the post.

Gary D

RMS Member
Drives
MK5 Golf Tdi spo
I would usually flash my lights to warn oncoming traffic of a speedtrap, at the end of the day it still has the desired effect of getting them to slow down without the slap in the face of 3 penalty points and £60 fine we're all guilty of speeding at some time or another. Maybe would have second thoughts if someone was driving dangerously fast for conditions or built up area etc. had it coming then;)

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Funny, I had to flash at some woman in oncoming traffic, who was merrily toodling along while a marked police car was up her bangle with the blues and two's on. Silly oul cnut!

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
flashed one time coming down the glenshane at a jeep that was flying and it turned out to be cops in unmarked car with no lights on. they slowed down and where laughing and waving into me. I near sh*t the togs.lol

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
They were sitting outside the Ulster Hospital on Sunday night, decided I would give my Full Beams a test :p

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Yeah I always warn others drivers, had to do it the other week when they were sitting on the Ballygowan Road just outside Moneyreagh only I didn't flash, justed waved them down as I was out walking. Regardless of wether they're in a dangerous spot or not I know I'd like someone to warn me if they were ahead even if I wasn't going fast

RN7

Just passed Clarendon Dock in Belfast there's a lay-by underneath the M3 bridge where the cops sit all the time, think I've seen them 5 times in the last 2 weeks. (every time with someone pulled in getting done). Just a heads up since it's so difficult to stick to 30 along there and it's pretty difficult to see them since they're hidden in the shade.

^^equivalent to flashing^^

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Just passed Clarendon Dock in Belfast there's a lay-by underneath the M3 bridge where the cops sit all the time, think I've seen them 5 times in the last 2 weeks. (every time with someone pulled in getting done). Just a heads up since it's so difficult to stick to 30 along there and it's pretty difficult to see them since they're hidden in the shade.

^^equivalent to flashing^^

Yea I have noticed them here alot more, I was talking to the gf the other day and didnt notice them until the last minute, luckily I wasnt speeding though

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
There was a jeep with the camera on top sitting at the side of the castlewellan road, just past tesco in banbridge the other day at lunch time! thats the second one ive seen in banbridge this week!

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
I try to stick to the back roads to avoid the likes of camera's etc. But if i drove past one I would flash, and if i was to get pulled over for it I would tell him how, "I WAS FLASHING MY MUCKER!" That drove past.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I don't see what the problem is, as you're only doing their job for them, after all the campaign is not to catch you speeding, but to prevent it. Always slows me down when someone flashes.

Maybe they should just hire people to drive along flashing their headlights - might cut collisioaccidents by 50%

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
They dont want to catch you speeding......they want to prevent you speeding...

Which is why all speed traps are sneaky as ****. Especially those mobile camera vans that do everything possible to disguise what they are up to when parked.

Often wondered do the operators see when you give them nice hand gestures every time you drive past one ?

avo5021

RMS Regular
Of course they do... and its all on video too...

Remind me next time i see you stevie to tell you a story about the camera van and someone giving hand gestures...lol

You'll love it..

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Of course they do... and its all on video too...

Remind me next time i see you stevie to tell you a story about the camera van and someone giving hand gestures...lol

You'll love it..

Looks like they'll have caught me quite a few times then lol

big cyril

RMS Regular
I see that things which have been proved not to work are being cut eg no more ASBO's, reduction in fixed speed camera's in England.
If the same logic was applied here the evidence supporting the use of mobile cameras wouldn't stand any scrutiny whatsoever.

Was in the Cotswolds a few weeks back, there are quite a few fixed cameras there although a majority were in places where higher speed would be inappropriate such as at junctions, and they were all painted yellow and had a sign warning of their presence, so at least they appear to be trying to slow the traffic where it's dangerous rather than catch people where it's not dangerous.

When I came back home the first mobile speed trap I saw here was on the A1, the motorcycle cop was in the shadows under a bridge in a 60 zone dual carriageway where there was a straight almost a mile long with no junctions whatsoever on it.

formulaone

RMS Regular
agreed here in the cotswolds all speed cameras are clearly marked. the only 1s that are grey are the red light cameras but they are signed as well. they are everywhere I pass 12 on my way to work that's in 7 miles :worried::worried:
oxford has said they are turning there's off. worst I have seen is leeds 14 cameras in a 3 mile stretch of road

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.