Dodgy MOT

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Does anyone have a contact for someone who can get me a dodgy English MOT? Before you go nuts let me explain... I have a car that has a good old 3 digit plate on it and I want to transfer it to my camper van. Unfortunately the car is way past it and would be a total restoration job to put through MOT. This car will never be on the road again but due to the bureaucratic nonsense of having your car taxed to be able to transfer the number plate it also needs to have an MOT certificate for this purpose. This is purely a paperwork exercise.

So basically I just need this piece of paper to tranfer the reg so that I can finally scrap the car.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Whilst I know what you mean, when doing a reg transfer, there is the possibility of a VIC too, where you need to brain the vehicle to them for inspection.

It's rare, but bare it in mind

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I've been for a "VIC check" before many years ago which consisted of me bringing the car to Armagh for a lady (who really knew nothing about cars) to attempt to read the chassis number. Her glasses mustn't have been strong enough so she asked me to read the number out and I could have told her anything. Maybe things have changed now though.

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
I've been for a "VIC check" before many years ago which consisted of me bringing the car to Armagh for a lady (who really knew nothing about cars) to attempt to read the chassis number. Her glasses mustn't have been strong enough so she asked me to read the number out and I could have told her anything. Maybe things have changed now though.

Done one last year, went to lisburn MOT centre and the fella took the car in while I waited in the offices and was out within 15mins with a pass sheet. Dont have a clue what he done.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Point is...if the car clearly isnt capable of an MOT and looks that rough, surely he'd ask questions ? Or do they not care ?

I was lucky a few years ago, managed to get a plate off a car with an exemption certificate when they were dishing them out.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Even if the car isn't goin to be near the road again its still illegal to obtain the certificate. It's not worth gettin done for some kind of fraud. And not wise to try it on a public forum.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
What make of car is it? Can you not get an MOT the same way rally boys do?!!

What way do they do it? The last time I was in this predicament with another car I had to spend 8 hours welding at the scrapheap just to get it through MOT - even then most of the rust was hidden under tonnes of body sealer. That car was scrapped afterwards as well just for the sake of the plate.

Cess

RMS Staff
They get a similar car, slap the number plate of the rally car on it and drive it to test centre. *allegedly*

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.