Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Was a headline this morning about some applicants having to retake their theory test over fifty times. And average pass rates are very low at 44%. A lot of talk about the tests having been made harder.

So, would you pass it today? There is a practice test on the dvla website:

It's only a sample. The real test is apparently 760 (!) questions, and tons of "awareness videos" 😳 But a 43% score is enough to pass.

Most of the questions seem pretty common sense and straight forward. Some were dubious, and at least one completely wrong, lol. But other than the sheer volume of questions in the full test, is it really that hard?

Test yourself and see 😎

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
There's an hour countdown on the practice test but it doesn't take that long.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
1701691481113.png

Not sure what I got wrong, did guess a couple but some questions there you do not need to know for driving anywhere

Edit: Just saw you can review:

• You're driving on an open road in dry weather. What distance should you keep from the vehicle in front?

I chose 2 car lengths instead of 2 second gap

• What should you do when you park at night on a road that has a 40 mph speed limit?

I didnt really know so chose "park near a street light" but the answer was "leave parking lights on" which I would never do

• What shape are traffic signs giving orders?

I chose red triangle (eg Give Way) but its actually red circle (eg No Entry) 🤷‍♂️

• What does this sign mean?

Was a sign for a roundabout but I chose mini roundabout - oops

• You wish to tow a trailer. Where would you find the maximum noseweight for your vehicle’s tow hitch?

Chose "in your vehicle reg cert" but apparently answer is "in vehicle handbook" - I have never towed and do not have cars that can tow so an irrelevant question

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
A few of them were a bit silly but mostly common sense.

Why would anyone need over fifty attempts to pass? 🤯 Ok, the real test has a lot more questions, but you only need 43% right to pass. And even us eejits could manage that, lol.

Honestly, should people be allowed behind the wheel if they can't get through something like this?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
43/50 for me. The disabled spaces one got me, not that I would ever dare use them.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
46/50

The one where it asks what you should do to control your vehicles speed, I selected "Select a higher gear" ie, dropping from 3rd to 2nd. But it wanted me to pick "Select a lower gear"

I've always considered the term "Higher gear" to mean a higher ratio, but it seems they're only talking about the number of the gear / on the gearknob

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
45/50 here. I clearly didn't know what colour studs are between a motorwary and sliproad, and the difference between a roundabout and mini roundabout sign, among a few others.

46 here too, apparently I have no idea how traffic lights work

This one? 'You're approaching traffic lights and the red light is showing. What signal will show next?' I got that one wrong...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
i haven’t time at the min but thanks for the link i have passed it on to carmad jr 👍
There is a second link on the dvla site to samples of "awareness" videos. Those seem to trip a lot of people up.

There are also full training kits and prep apps from the likes of AA, for a small fee, with a lot more examples and background materials. No idea how good they are, but more prep the better.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
There is a second link on the dvla site to samples of "awareness" videos. Those seem to trip a lot of people up.

There are also full training kits and prep apps from the likes of AA, for a small fee, with a lot more examples and background materials. No idea how good they are, but more prep the better.

👍 he sent away for his provisional licence so hopefully it comes soon for him

i have another problem the only road legal thing i have for him to learn in is vxr8

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
👍 he sent away for his provisional licence so hopefully it comes soon for him

i have another problem the only thing i have for him to learn in is vxr8
Can't imagine a better car to learn in 😁

Here is the main official link to all the training materials:

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Can't imagine a better car to learn in 😁

Here is the main official link to all the training materials:

well they won’t cover him even as a learner

until he is 25 on any off the classics 🤷‍♂️

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's pretty much an Adam or something, with a black box, isn't it? Until he's got a few years under his belt.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
I can honestly say, without ever meeting the young buck, but having seen his welding/fabrication, he is too cool for an Adam 😂

we have discussed this

once he passes that’s prob what he will have

so he may enjoy learning in style and hopefully he keeps his nose clean then he can have nice things later