Electric windows not working

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

inkey

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST3
My electric windows in the fabia have not been working and i have MOT coming up soon here is a list of what i have checked so far.
  • The electric windows work when there is a period of warm weather
  • The door shuts the wiring is ok noting has worn away.
  • The fuses all checked and working ok
  • Checked inside the door car and noting seems broken as the windows do work when the weather drys up a bit.
  • There motor has no power going to it.
  • none of the carpets in the car are damp
  • The switches worked when the weather dried up
I havent checked the control unit and i am wondering if this is what is causing the problem

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Sounds like water is getting in somewhere from what you have described.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
can you strip the door card/trim off? close the door, and with a friend get them to thoroughly hose the outside of the car in a "Rain mimicking" fashion, might help identify if there is a tiny bit of of water getting in ?

Ge0rge

Banned
My electric windows in the fabia have not been working and i have MOT coming up soon here is a list of what i have checked so far.
  • The electric windows work when there is a period of warm weather
  • The door shuts the wiring is ok noting has worn away.
  • The fuses all checked and working ok
  • Checked inside the door car and noting seems broken as the windows do work when the weather drys up a bit.
  • There motor has no power going to it.
  • none of the carpets in the car are damp
  • The switches worked when the weather dried up
I havent checked the control unit and i am wondering if this is what is causing the problem

it wont fail mot because of the windows not working anyway so dont panic.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Don't know if Fabia like passat if so there will be a box under p/s carpet called comfort relay basically an ecu check and see if it is there and is wet had two passat now same problem dried out box and all was fine. But don't honestly know if Fabia the same sounds like same issue though so could be maybe located somewhere else tho.

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
^^ I was wondering the same. My C5 A6 are notorious for the same problems associated with water ingress.

You say the carpets aren't wet. Have you lifted them all and checked the foam padding underneath to see? I know from experience that the padding can hold a serious amount of water before you would ever notice anything by putting your hand on top of the carpet.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Undo all the electrical connections and spray with WD40,

Might be worth doing one connection at a time to pinpoint which connection is being affected, it does sound like water is the problem

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.