ERC COI 2015...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Minister Marks Four Month Countdown to International Circuit of Ireland Rally

Peye021214mm01_02.jpg

Pictured outside Parliament Buildings, Stormont are from left, star rally drivers Josh and Sam Moffett from Monaghan, Arlene Foster, Enterprise, Trade and Investment Minister and Bobby Willis, Event Director, Circuit of Ireland Rally.

Minister Foster marked four months exactly to the 2015 International Circuit of Ireland Rally, which kicks off with event qualifying on Thursday 2nd April and competitive rallying on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th April in counties Antrim and Down. Belfast’s iconic Titanic Quarter will once again host the Service Park and European Rally Championship HQ, media and competitor hub.

The Circuit of Ireland will be the third of ten rounds in the 2015 European Rally Championship. The provisional ERC schedule of dates are due to be ratified on 3rd December in Qatar at a meeting of the FIA World Motorsport Council. The 2015 Circuit of Ireland will also be counting rounds of the 2015 Irish Tarmac Championship and the Northern Ireland Rally Championship.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Already been out PR'ing the stage. It's amazing how popular the event is, with the vast majority of residents excited about it rather the just tolerating it.

As always, marshals will be required so let me know if you want to get involved, even if you have no previous experience.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Already been out PR'ing the stage. It's amazing how popular the event is, with the vast majority of residents existed about it rather the just tolerating it.

As always, marshals will be required so let me know if you want to get involved, even if you have no previous experience.
simialr enough to last year i presume ?

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Circuit of Ireland appoints new Clerk of Course

2015 Circuit Clerk of Course with event director Bobby Willis.JPG

Circuit of Ireland Rally organisers have announced that County Mayo man and well known rally official Tom Walsh, will take over the role of Clerk of Course for the 2015 event. Andy Gilmore, who managed the 2014 rally has had to give up the role due to his work commitments.

Originally from County Limerick, Tom Walsh has been involved in rallying since 1969 when he took on his first marshalling role with a rally - the Circuit of Ireland. During the 1970’s and 1980’s Tom managed rally star Billy Coleman over a 14 year period helping him clinch three Circuit wins. Tom had a five year tenure as Chairman of the Tarmac Rally Organisers Association (TROA) and was Clerk of Course for the first ever Rally Ireland WRC in 2007 and Sporting Director for the 2009 Rally Ireland WRC. Tom is currently a member of the Motorsport Ireland Commission.

“I got hooked on rallying in the 1960’s when as a young lad I first watched the Circuit of Ireland close to my home in Co Limerick and later I became a marshal at the Circuit. Since then I have referred to it as my ‘iconic rally’ so when Bobby called me and asked if I could take on the Clerk of Course position I had no hesitation in accepting!” explained Tom Walsh.

Paying tribute to Andy Gilmore’s contribution to the Circuit of Ireland, event director Bobby Willis said, “As a member of the Circuit organising team and event Clerk of Course, Andy played a vital role in the management and development of the Circuit and has helped to make it such a hugely successful event which last year attracted a total of almost 74,000 spectators. On behalf of the committee I would like to thank Andy for all his hard work – it really has been hugely appreciated by competitors, organisers and all our marshals and other volunteers.

“Looking forward to early April we’re delighted to have secured Tom Walsh as our new Clerk of Course. Well-known and respected in the rallying world, Tom has a tremendous range of experience and expertise which he can bring to the Circuit of Ireland enabling us to further enhance the event for both drivers and spectators.”
The Circuit of Ireland Rally takes place from Thursday 2nd April until Saturday 4th April 2015 and will be the third of ten rounds in the 2015 European Rally Championship. The 2015 Circuit of Ireland will also be counting rounds of the 2015 Irish Tarmac Championship and the Northern Ireland Rally Championship.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Belfast to play central role in 2015 Circuit of Ireland Rally

Peye130115mm01_04.JPG

Europe’s top drivers will be revving up in the heart of Belfast over a three-day period this Easter when the city welcomes the 2015 Circuit of Ireland Rally.

Circuit of Ireland organisers have announced that Belfast will again be a key host of the international event, with a ceremonial start taking place at the City Hall on Thursday 2 April.

The Circuit, which will run across stunning stages in counties Antrim and Down, will be part of the prestigious FIA European Rally Championship for the second year and counts as round two of the 2015 FIA ERC Junior Championship.

The rally will finish back in Belfast on the evening of Saturday April 4 and the winner will be crowned at Belfast’s Titanic Quarter, the site of the Rally HQ and Service Park, which will welcome over 1,000 competitors and team personnel over four days from Wednesday 1 April.

Following the success of last year’s rally, Eurosport Events will again broadcast footage of this year’s Circuit, and expects to attract more than 14 million viewers globally.

It’s anticipated the event will generate over £1.5m for the local economy, as thousands of spectators and teams officials travel to Northern Ireland, and book an estimated 10,000 bed nights.

Belfast City Council is a key partner of the Circuit of Ireland and Lord Mayor, Councillor Nichola Mallon said:
“I am delighted that the Circuit of Ireland Rally has once again chosen Belfast for its ceremonial start and finish line. Following on from the success of last year’s rally, I have no doubt that this year’s event will be bigger and better.

“It’s fantastic to see Belfast now recognised as one of the world’s premier sporting venues. Our reputation for hosting events continues to grow as we also look forward to hosting the start of the Tall Ships races this summer.”

Circuit of Ireland Event Director Bobby Willis said the organising team was keen to build on the huge success of the 2014 event.
“Last year’s ceremonial start at Belfast City Hall created an amazing atmosphere for fans and provided a great welcome for rally stars from across Europe so we’re thrilled that Belfast City Council is partnering with us again.

“The stages across counties Antrim and Down were massively successful, attracting almost 74,000 spectators while over 14 million viewers across the world watched the various stages in 2014 on Eurosport and its global media partners.

“This year we hope to make our legendary event even bigger and better and we’re confident that fans will enjoy another fantastic line-up of world-class drivers across challenging stages.

“We’re delighted that the Circuit of Ireland is part of the prestigious FIA European Rally Championship and Junior Championship for the second year and we look forward to welcoming some of the great up and coming young drivers from overseas, as well as our first Northern Irish contender to commit, Jon Armstrong.”

Twenty year Armstrong, from Kesh in County Fermanagh, is embarking on his first ERC Junior Championship this year and will head to the Rally Liepāja in Latvia next month before returning to Northern Ireland ahead of the Circuit of Ireland Rally.

He’ll be competing in a new car this season - a Peugeot 208 R2 - and he brought it to Belfast City Hall so Lord Mayor Councillor Nichola Mallon could get a sneak preview.

”I’ve been watching the Circuit of Ireland as long as I can remember and I’m very excited about taking part in it this year for the first time. Driving in an event at home is always nice as the fans are great and I’m hoping that will help me stay relaxed and focussed come Easter weekend.”

For the first time this year, each round of the ERC, including the Circuit of Ireland, will award a 20,000 euro prize to the highest placed privately entered drivers. This year’s event will also be counting rounds of the 2015 Irish Tarmac Championship and the Northern Ireland Rally Championship.

Circuit organisers will soon announce further details on the rally route, stages and entries.
For up to date information on the 2014 Circuit of Ireland visit www.circuitofireland.net
Follow on Facebook.com/circuitofireland or twitter @CircuitIreland.
For up-to-date information visit www.circuitofireland.net
For ERC details visit www.fiaerc.com

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Idris Elba rumored to be putting in an entry as part of a Discovery documentary

He was testing yesterday and pictured with Michael Orr and Jimmy McRae as well as Bobby on twitter

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Mandela star gears up for Circuit of Ireland Rally

Idris Elba Rally Ireland 4.jpg

Idris Elba Rally Ireland 8.jpg

Idris Elba Rally Ireland1.JPG

World famous actor Idris Elba has been trying out a new role as a rally driver on the roads of Monaghan, before taking part in this year’s Circuit of Ireland Rally in just a few weeks’ time.

Car enthusiast Elba, who played Nelson Mandela in the film Mandela – Long Walk to Freedom, as well as winning a Golden Globe for his role in the BBC crime thriller series Luther, has been test driving in Monaghan to get a true feel of the driving skills needed for the Rally on Easter weekend.

The career change for the actor and producer comes as he embarks on a new and exciting challenge pushing himself to his limit, racing on land, water and in the air for a new 4-part TV documentary series airing on Discovery TV.

Each challenge will see Idris join a team of professionals who will work with him to help him achieve his goals, and this week he was learning the tricks of the trade from experienced World Rally Championship co-driver, Michael Orr from Bangor, County Down.

Elba, 42, will learn the mechanics of British Junior Rally Champion Gus Greensmith’s Ford Fiesta R1 and how to handle pacenotes and practice on closed roads in the most testing of situations.

As part of the series he will also work with seven-time Circuit of Ireland winner and rally legend Jimmy McRae on advanced tuition.

Rally Director Bobby Willis said it was a “major coup” that the acclaimed actor was so keen to take part in the historic international event, one of the world’s oldest rallies, first organised in 1931 as the Ulster Motor Rally.

Mr Willis added, “We are so thrilled to host such a well-known celebrity at the rally as he takes on a new challenge. He will be truly pushed to his limits as he learns the finely-honed skills, precision and dedication needed to take part in the adrenalin-fuelled Circuit of Ireland this Easter.

“In recent years we have built up the rally to become a major event in the sporting calendar of Northern Ireland and last year over 74,000 people came to view the various stages while it was viewed by over 14 million people across the world.

“The fact that Elba’s series will broadcast on the Discovery Channel in the UK, US and across more than 220 countries and territories showcasing Northern Ireland and the Circuit to an audience of many million more viewers is staggering but amazing news!”

The three-day 2015 Circuit of Ireland Rally will get underway on Thursday 2 April when Europe’s top drivers rev up in the heart of Belfast, with a ceremonial start taking place at the City Hall.

The Circuit, which will run across stunning stages in counties Antrim and Down, will be part of the prestigious FIA European Rally Championship for the second year and counts as round two of the 2015 FIA ERC Junior Championship.

The rally will finish back in Belfast on the evening of Saturday April 4 and the winner will be crowned at Belfast’s Titanic Quarter, the site of the Rally HQ and Service Park, which will welcome competitors and team personnel over four days from Wednesday 1 April.

For up to date information on the 2015 Circuit of Ireland visit www.circuitofireland.net

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
No info yet but there is no way the council would allow the town to shut down during a Friday or Saturday day so in my head it has to be night

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Was great last year so hopefully it'll be the same this year!

Cess

RMS Staff
The big 28km stage from last year - Bronte Homeland - has bit the dust I see :worried: McGaffin's Corner and Banbridge are new stages for 2015.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Some good roads in the McGaffins corner area, although I'm not familiar with the exact stage.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.