EV tax rises, renew tax now

davyk31

RMS Regular
Not sure if this was mentioned on here but renewing tax now on EVs can kick the can well down the road for the new VED charge coming from April next year.
Renew now and then you tax again for free in March next year just before the charges apply. No tax to pay then until March 26.
Just did it and despite a few warnings that the car is already taxed it goes fine.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Is this not only for new EVs? As in retrospectively if you paid 0 you'll always pay 0?

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Nope it starts next April for all EVs at standard rate, £180 or whatever it is. Don’t think the luxury car supplement applies but it will apply to new EVs after next April.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
A lease company normally has the right to pass on any VED increases so I imagine they will do that. Can’t see a lease company going to the hassle of taxing all their cars now to save their customers some money.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I wouldn’t be surprised at all as over their fleet it will amount to a lot of money. I had a BMW lease a few years ago and they sent an invoice each year for whatever VED increased each year even if it was only £10 or £20.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I’d be very surprised if they pass the cost on.
I’d be surprised if they didn’t, my last lease had the tax increase by about £15per year and they sent me a invoice for the difference.

Can you imagine cash flow projections taking a huge hit for 5000 leased cars at £180 a go?

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
For anyone who is doing this it needs done today or tomorrow at latest

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’d be surprised if they didn’t, my last lease had the tax increase by about £15per year and they sent me a invoice for the difference.

Can you imagine cash flow projections taking a huge hit for 5000 leased cars at £180 a go?

NHS tends to run a bit differently than standard leasing arrangements, but will find out and post back.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Done. Has to be worth a punt. Of course I’d expect you could do this in March 25 as well.