Fitting skirts tomoro, any tips!?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Gonna have a stab at fittin these skirts in the morning?
just plain fibreglass ones, nothing fancy.

going to use windscreen sealer, but does anyone have any tips?(y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Windscreen sealer is a good bet for the fitting, as it will allow them to flex with the chassis (y)

What about putting 2 screws either end of the skirts, in the arch, for a bit of extra hold..?

Seen that done a few times (Onl my Clio too), and i suppose its just to ensure they dont drop off, should the bond in the sealer not hold..

PhilG

RMS Regular
the window bonder is strong enough to hold it on, but people use the screws either end as insurance.

I used Wurth Black Windscreen bonder. And tips i'd give are:

Wear latex gloves as its messy stuff.

Make sure both the car body and the skirt is dry (use a towel/hairdryer, whatever) before applying bonder.

May sound stupid, but if the skirt is a copy or non-genuine then make sure it will fit the car before going any further.

Dont hold back with the bonder.

Dont but the bonder too close to the edge of the skirt as when you press the skirt onto the car it will spread out and come out the gap between the skirt and car body.

Have Paint thinners handy, if you make a mess or get the bonder on the car body this will take it off. Just put the thinners on a piece of kitchen roll and wipe the bonder off when its still uncured.

Use heaps of masking tape to hold the skirt onto the car until the bonder is cured. Dont let the tape get wet (rainwater etc).

Can't really think of anything else. Goodluck

miniator

RMS Regular
OP
miniator
Drives
'72 Mini
cheers mate, i think ill need it.

also, how long does it take for paint to harden properly. got my bumpers sprayed there during the week, wednesday night they were done.

jiege01

Drives
Toledo TDI
cuple of days, paint should be fine. wat kind of skirts did you get lad? mine are bonded to the edge of the sill and screwed with a screw to the arch at either end.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I put a couple of screws through mine on the 306, together with a lot of bond- then G-clamped them in place. Also a screw at the rear inside the arch.

STE_vie

RMS Regular
if they are ones that slip in below ur doors and bond to the door jam below the door, my advice would be to throw them in the nearest skip or modify them so they just bond to the face of the sill.

miniator

RMS Regular
OP
miniator
Drives
'72 Mini
lol thanks for that CLK.....helpful as always!!

took me all afternoon putting the new front bumper on as it required some modifications to the car!
so i decided to leave them back in the bodyshop this friday evening as i wasnt really feeling brave enough!
new pics coming next sunday lol!!

miniator

RMS Regular
OP
miniator
Drives
'72 Mini
well considering it was a leon bumper....it was to be expected. and by modifying i mean relocating the horns, removing some plastic and removing the towing eye

if youve got anything at all constructive to say, then say it mate....otherwise, leave the keyboard bashing for another thread!

STE_vie

RMS Regular
i wasnt trying to be cheeky, i didnt realise that u were trying to fit a leon bumper to a toledo..

if i said to you i was fitting a new bumper to my car and i had to modify the car to fit a new bumper ud think it was strange would you not??

as for wot i said about the skirts being ones that go under the doors i meant it, wasnt being smart etc etc

anyway im away to keyboard bash somewhere else then

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.