GTI won't start

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

therock

RMS Regular
Alright lads

My 2009 golf GTI was running fine until I got into it today for a trip.

Basically the engine fired up, but an 'EPC' fault light came on beside the battery light and the revs just died off and engine turned off. I don't have access to any jump cables at the minute.

Car has been tip top (just got it back from a service last wk). I'm not sure what it could be, spark plugs, coils?

Surely if the car started it can't mean a problem with the battery, unless it's just not holding a charge.

Anyone in Comber have a vagcom and could help me out??!

Thanks

Ross

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
For some reason that's the wrong link. The one I meant to link was from vwforum.co.uk.

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
Spoke to Matt there, he's a gent.

Has given me an idea of the problem and if not he'll nip by and fix it (y)

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
Initial problem was fuel not getting to engine - now FIXED

Now it still won't start, so mechanic above thinks the timing chain has gone out of sync, so will need sorted. The damage it could cause could be anything from bent valves to other ***** stuff.

I'm really hoping it hasn't caused any damage and it will be sorted in a day or two, but I'm always thinking of the worst case scenario.

So, any 335d coupes going?:laughing:

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
That's the potential problems, but it's been one thing after another with this car.

It's been off the road for over a month in just over a year I've owned it.

There are a number of sensors from the tank to the fuel pump in the engine and one of them was knocked out. When I first had the problem the car started, but chugged to a death. It was probably just the fuel already in the engine that started it

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
think the timing went due to either an oil pump or fuel pump. probably fuel.

this has then let the pistons knock the crap out of the valves rendering it 450kg of junk.

either an insurance job or pay it myself. what percentage value does damage need to be to write a car off?

id prefer they wrote it off to be honest. let me start fresh

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wonder how much an engine would be from VW? Bound to be enough to write it off?

3.0T transplant? :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
These have same cam follower fault the MK5's did? It sits between cam and fuel pump

That's a disaster :scream:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Doesn't necessarily need a new engine, I know of a chap who mangled his engine after a dodgy gear change and managed to have it rebuilt.

I'd say you could have it repaired for £2k max.

My old 306 GTI broke the timing belt and bent all 16 valves, IIRC Peugeot charged £1500 to rebuild it. Get an independent to do your Golf.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
think the timing went due to either an oil pump or fuel pump. probably fuel.

this has then let the pistons knock the crap out of the valves rendering it 450kg of junk.

either an insurance job or pay it myself. what percentage value does damage need to be to write a car off?

id prefer they wrote it off to be honest. let me start fresh

How would the fuel pump affect the timing unless its mechanically driven? I can understand the oil pump as if it failed in a manner where it allowed the chain to move or something it could happen.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.