Head Gasket Away (mg Zr)?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ge0rge

Banned
Obviously more than you, its shabbieness of the first order not to check it when its off you moron. Sure just fire it back on and HOPE its flat.

ive changed dozens on cars of my own, never once had to get a head skimmed as i knew myself it was never overheated so no need to, from my own experience.....

dont call me moron again toolbag.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
dont try and bad mouth me in a public forum and call me moron ya ***** anything to say to me pm me and we ll sort it.

Sorry, suppose idiot is a more fitting term. Suppose you have magic eyes that can assess the flatness of a head (y)

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Proper way to do it is to at least check it. Makes sense to for all it costs, imagine if you put it all together only to find water pisching out somewhere lol.

Ge0rge

Banned
some people just cant be spoken too, they know everything, their way is right, ive done 4 head gaskets on these engines 3 rovers and a land rover, unlike a lot of idiots on here who like to bump their gums and be no real help i will help you out, if you end up needing the head done you can come to mine and i will help you do it for free i have everything you would need here to do it including the locking kit, if you dont overheat the engine it will be grand from my experience.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Yes, because the only answer is you aren't doing things the correct way.

To properly build an engine you need to check a head for flatness, it its flat it doesn't need skimmed, if isn't it does. You may be lucky and get away with not doing it, but its still the incorrect way to go about things.

Ge0rge

Banned
no oe is building an engine, im on about replacing a failed head gasket, if you remove the gasket and can clearly see its knackered and you havnt overheated the engine imo there s no point getting it skimmed, im not a fan of skimming the head it only causes more problems having to get a thicker gasket etc, if it needed skimmed id bin it and get another head, since its near christmas i will agree to disagree..........

call me a moron again tho and the santa suits comin off:party:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
in fairness Id always heard if it didnt overheat then no need.

I would always get a skim provided there's enough to skim and it's not going to cause huge headaches with compression, etc. I couldn't trust my judgement on the flatness of any surface so err on the side of caution and just let a pro look at it :oops:. It's only a run to the engineers and £20odd.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Exactly Coog, its not like it cost hundreds of £ to get it checked, but it could potentially cost you that in the long run if you don't.

no oe is building an engine, im on about replacing a failed head gasket, if you remove the gasket and can clearly see its knackered and you havnt overheated the engine imo there s no point getting it skimmed, im not a fan of skimming the head it only causes more problems having to get a thicker gasket etc, if it needed skimmed id bin it and get another head, since its near christmas i will agree to disagree..........

call me a moron again tho and the santa suits comin off:party:

1. I said CHECK it and skim if NECESSARY. If its flat it doesn't need skimmed.
2. Why would you bin a head that needs skimmed? Heads are designed in a way they can be skimmed a few times and remain serviceable. They only need replaced when they don't meet the minimum thickness anymore.

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
so who skimms heads in the antrim area (if it needs done), i was only going by what the MG mechanic in devlins said, he said unless u overheat the engine badly it wont need skimmed, but seems this is a somewhat contentious issue!!!

maybe ill just run one of those gasket additives and hope for the best... lol !!!!!

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
so who skimms heads in the antrim area (if it needs done), i was only going by what the MG mechanic in devlins said, he said unless u overheat the engine badly it wont need skimmed, but seems this is a somewhat contentious issue!!!

maybe ill just run one of those gasket additives and hope for the best... lol !!!!!

Stevieturbos from up that direction IIRC - he may know someone local who can check the head for flatness.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
All u need is a good straight edge and akeen eye , its not rocket science !
Even after an engine coolant flush u usually still get a slight oily look to the
water as its impossible to get 100% gunk out in one go ,id suggest just drive
it for a week or two ,keep eye on temps and coolant level , then fush out system
again .

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
are there any mechanics in the antrim (ish area) that anyone can recommend for doing a head gasket job, (which im quite sure is required)... the vvc 160 engine seems a little more complicated... and id like to make sure if i get it done im getting it done right!!

theres a few tiny bubbles of white/grey sludge on the inside of the oil cap (which the mechanic says a car doing all short journeys which mine does will have anyway) and im not convinced the water isnt getting oilier each time i drive it.... for peace of mind ill prob just get the head done...

pablo

RMS Moderator
given I done mine for peace of mind this might sound mad but sounds like a waste of money. you will get mayo on the oilcap if only doing short runs.

top up oil and water, blat it up the motorway for half an hour and watch the temp guage like a hawk. next morning check oil and water levels and if ok then youre home free.

Antrim area youve DS Autos on the main street near the tech, or AI out towards ballymena.

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
cheers, will give ai a shout... and will take it on motorway !

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Let us know how you get on . .if you get away without
changing head gasket you desrve some sort of award !

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Let us know how you get on . .if you get away without
changing head gasket you desrve some sort of award !
Didnt mean that in a bad way btw , just that once mg/rover gives overheating and
oil/water mixing problems it usuall means one thing . .

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
You've headgaskets on the head lol

Do what Pablo says before you book it in for a gasket lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.