I hate DVLNI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
i had to do alot of slabbering to get my reg transfered thank fully a fella that browses these forums got me sorted when he seen me giving off all i had to do was drive to colraine and it was done (y) gona have to go through it all again when i get the new motor:worried:

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
Ive had problems to the DVLNI regarding importing cars from england and registration documents. They do not make it easy for you , plus the fact their attitude stinks when you do go to the gasworks to seek advice.
I had big problems getting the last car i bought registered here and taxed.The thing that gets me is this new european logbook that the dvlni and dvla have issued ,you would have thought they would perhaps alamalgamate , so that the logbook is a universal document for all of Uk and N.ireland , but yet DVLA dont have jurisdiction over here so it means that it has not really cured the hassle of registering imported cars from the UK. Gets very fustrating as it means waiting 4-6 weeks before you can tax your car and drive it.
I have heard that the Downpatrick DVLNI branch is a lot more helpful than Belfast.

pablo

RMS Moderator
ummm

buy car in england
take the WHOLE V5
walk into taxoffice
hand them V5 and £90
walk out with taxdisc
new V5 in post 2-3 weeks later

its not hard like.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Yep you can tax the car straight away. I've done it for several cars and yes you have to wait for the log book but you can drive away once you leave the tax office.

Tax seems to be the easiest part!

Andy

p 5ary

RMS Regular
OP
p 5ary
my problem was the arse sent the v5 to swansea so i was fooked. had to start from scratch. but all is well now

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
"Computer says no"

PDVD_094.jpg

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
pablo said:
ummm

buy car in england
take the WHOLE V5
walk into taxoffice
hand them V5 and £90
walk out with taxdisc
new V5 in post 2-3 weeks later

its not hard like.

Unfortunatly our friends at the Belfast branch refused on 2 separate occassions at 2 separate counters to tax my car as it wasnt registered here.
They say they required a v756 ( a certificate of export) to be filled in first , sent away by me to the dvla in swansea , and then after i recieved a certificate of export i could then come down , tax the car and send off a dvlni log book.
That took 5 weeks.
However , as you stated above you need the WHOLE taxbook. I had trouble because i only had the 2nd page (sections 6-11?) , the first had been sent off by the previous owner to swansea

Matt

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
This was 2 months ago i taxed the car. Unless its changed since then but doubt it.
i later spoke to a friend who had the same trouble but he went to downpatrick and they filled in a v756 form for him there and then , took his part of the logbook he had and said thats np , we can tax your car for you.
Just shows how unhelpful some dvlni staff can be as it wouldve saved me 2 months of wait nearly.

Matt

Mrt20

RMS Regular
p 5ary said:
my problem was the arse sent the v5 to swansea so i was fooked. had to start from scratch. but all is well now
The seller of my car did this to but swansea sent the v5 back to me and told me to use my local dvlni office to reg the car:laughing: . You also need 2 bits of ID to register a car over here now.

big cyril

RMS Regular
p 5ary said:
they do, and its a pain on the ass

That's odd - I bought an English car at auction which came with an English V5 which looked the same as our new blue ones.
I brought the V5 and other forms (think it was V55) and there was no problem getting it changed to NI and a NI plate issued.
Didn't ever see an export certificate.
Is it just for cars with an old style tax book I wonder?

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
big cyril said:
Is it just for cars with an old style tax book I wonder?

Na , my metro had the new style v5 form and it does look exactly like ours. Thats what i couldnt get my head around- , its the same logbook but yet i couldnt register the car here.
I think it a lot depends on who is serving you , and how willing they are to help you out.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Minikid said:
Na , my metro had the new style v5 form and it does look exactly like ours. Thats what i couldnt get my head around- , its the same logbook but yet i couldnt register the car here.
I think it a lot depends on who is serving you , and how willing they are to help you out.

Indeed or how much they actually know about it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.