Illegal Number Plates

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jonto

RMS Regular
Drives
finger up arse
Was talking to my mate that works in a car shop he was saying the dva paid them a visit and there not allowed to sell illegal number plates anymore (different font,size etc) and if there caught doing this its a 2500 pound fine :eek: and if your stopped for having them on your car you get a 60 pound fine and 3 points and if you dont tell the police were you got them its another 60 pound fine.

Anyone else heard any stories about this???

Jonto

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
shops are no longer allowed to print them as of 1st sept i think it was, their systems keep a record of all plates printed, styles, numbers and the txt at the bottom has to be that of the company that has just printed the plates

as for the fines to joe bloggs, i think it's a £30 fixed penalty just and thats it, after one or two times then you can have your reg removed for good.

yes metro plates do look great but £30 is a weeks worth of fuel to loose if you got pulled and done, so legal all the way lol

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Also heard you now (or in near future) have to present your reg book etc if you want to get number plates made.

Gaz

Jonto

RMS Regular
OP
Jonto
Drives
finger up arse
yeah legal all the way for me and i have a cherished reg aswell 3 strikes and your out for them :worried:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
the mate has a 2 digit NI reg, got pulled one night for the size of the front plate (king size mars bar in fairness) and had a letter a month later saying if he's caught again he's loosing it :eek:

Jonto

RMS Regular
OP
Jonto
Drives
finger up arse
yep thats true after you get 2 fines they send you out a letter saying that ive been lucky enough and havent got that letter yet thats why i stick to standard size plate

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Thats a balls, imo theres nothing wrong with a nice metro plate :worried:

Standard plates look hidious :worried:

Jonto

RMS Regular
OP
Jonto
Drives
finger up arse
yeah but you still get a 30/60 pound fine and maybe 3 points

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The reg book and I.D. thing has been in place in England etc for a few years.

Lets face it though...as long as the internet or signwriting places exists, plates can be got somewhere.

Why should illegal fonts be made illegal to be sold anyway, they arent legal for road use anyway !!!!!

I wonder what mass fine issuing system is waiting round the corner for them to be pushing this so much.

Gervy

Drives
BMW 740i
Number plates

Full details on the new numberplate law, can be found at thecamionclub.com(y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Life just got better.....we all have to have normal plates :laughing:

I guess we can all take our "illegal" plates, and use them as stab vests instead.

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
Show plates will still be available. Not all plate makers will be registered on the system. If for example a rather ruthless and cunning individual decided to keep making them what could be done about it? Especially as the software he uses does not keep a record of plates made (Im told) (ahem).

Jonto

RMS Regular
OP
Jonto
Drives
finger up arse
i know a certain individual like that (ahem) :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
any clarification on the points thing?

I thought points were meant to punish bad driving seems they are given out like smarties these days :p

ally_mac

RMS Regular
Drives
05 Evo IX GT
This is the way it has been in England for years, so it was only a matter of time before it happened here

I think it still just a £30 fine and no points

Bronk

RMS Regular
its defo no points....

touch wood i have never got a fine for any of my number plate's the nissan and hondas plates even are highly illegal..and havnt had any bother with them :confounded:

rybo

RMS Regular
£30 ticket, no points. Yet.

But like seatbelts, mobile phones etc - when the powers that be realise that these are ineffective, I'm sure penalty points will be considered.

I would guess that around 20% of number plates in NI at the moment don't meet legal requirements. Something will be done about it.Sooner or later.

One step that was taken recently is that DVA have changed their policy from 3 strikes to 2. (IE second offence on a misrepresented plate & its gone).

MiniMad

RMS Regular
Drives
fwd + rwd + 4wd
£30 ticket, no points. Yet.

But like seatbelts, mobile phones etc - when the powers that be realise that these are ineffective, I'm sure penalty points will be considered.

I would guess that around 20% of number plates in NI at the moment don't meet legal requirements. Something will be done about it.Sooner or later.

One step that was taken recently is that DVA have changed their policy from 3 strikes to 2. (IE second offence on a misrepresented plate & its gone).
can you please inform me, will it still be legal for likes of number plate makers on the internet to make illegal plates? or does it only apply to registered business's with premises?? as i know everyone who orders plates online dont seem to be asked at all for proof of V5?

and what if 'joe blogs' has a number plate making machine, what laws are there to clamp down on non registered number plate makers?(such as mentioned above?)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.