Insurance categories for R drivers

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Chatting to the oh said about marmalade insurance it insurers the person not the car and is designed for young people only goes up to people 30 odd I think.
Courtney passed her test on Tuesday with 5 minors which if I'm honest took me by surprise as she had zero practice in between driving lessons with her instructor, must look into Marmalade, thanks for that

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Most of us got insured on our parents cars so long as they weren’t anything too flash. I wouldn’t be able to get the kids insured on any of my cars and nor would I want to 😀. So need to buy them something to drive themselves.
That's an issue too as no way she would be getting insured on the S3, frig I don't even like her in it as a passenger as she always mucks about with my playlist and don't get me started on the make-up handprints, @Boydie be thankful you had two boys :joy:

Sounds like she has her head screwed on. My eldest is 14 and I'm starting to think about a car as public transport isn't really an option around here. Can't wait to see how I'll be getting shafted in 4 years
She appears to, when she was putting down her choices for Uni she was like Mum as long as whatever career path I take is well paid so I can afford to put you in a decent Nursing Home when your old, glad someone is thinking ahead

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I know when I started driving (20 years ago), my first car was a mk2 Fiesta 1.1 popular. My insurance was £2400. After about 6 months I changed to a mk4 Astra Sport 1.8 16v and my insurance went to £3k. I was working full time (alot of hours) and didn't mind sticking all my wages into my car as I lived at home. Vaguely remember it being about £230 a month for insurance :joy:

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I know when I started driving (20 years ago), my first car was a mk2 Fiesta 1.1 popular. My insurance was £2400. After about 6 months I changed to a mk4 Astra Sport 1.8 16v and my insurance went to £3k. I was working full time (alot of hours) and didn't mind sticking all my wages into my car as I lived at home. Vaguely remember it being about £230 a month for insurance :joy:
I am surprised by this- my first car around 2008 was a Land Rover Defender 90 van , was a 300tdi so 2.5 turbo diesel. My first years insurance was 1400 and then in the second year it dropped immediately to around 700. Insurance companies pick figures out of their heads at time or so I think. The other classic one about insurance that I can remember was when I wanted to put a winch bumper on said Defender and the insurance company (AA) said no chance it’s a modification. I told them ok but the current bumper is rusted out and needs replacing- oh that’s ok then the winch bumper is just a replacement and not a modification. It seemed to me at the time that there was a secret way you had to word things to get the good prices. Don’t even get me started about night shift working and where the car is kept over night.