Insurance policy, regarding driving in ROI after Brexit

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
had a look there at my Greenlight insurance policy

HIGHWAY INSURANCE HEREBY CERTIFIES that the Insurance to which this Certificate relates satisfies the requirements of the relevant law applicable in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of
Man, the Island of Guernsey, the Island of Jersey or the Island of Alderney.

This insurance applies in respect of accidents or losses occurring in all member countries of the European Union,
Andorra, Iceland, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

so the question probably is still relevant in that will the insurance policy remain as is, and still cover all EU countries. dont see why not but just for clarification sake. as ill be in the south on brexit day!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
This is on my bike policy
This Certificate of Motor Insurance takes the place of an International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) This Insurance also applies throughout the European Union and in Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland. This gives the minimum cover required by the law in each of the above countries.

I'd take a guess that it would just be a matter of asking insurer for similar?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Just talking about on the news, green card and some certificate of insurance required apparently and the same for southern drivers crossing into Northern Ireland

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
DxGnxRIWkAA2-_O.jpg large.jpg

Insurers are saying they can't issue a GC until 30 days before travel... That'll be fun :joy:

Requirements for all UK citizens driving abroad from 29 March 2019

Last edited:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Wtf is this crap about, I'm never out of the South.
In the event of a no deal crash out of the EU(therefore, borders) pretty much immediately drivers who do not have a green card** from both sides of the border will be driving without insurance.

**A green card basically says 2 things,

1) you have insurance
2) your insurance is covering you for the legal minimum level of cover for that country. Currently Third Party Only

As above, Gambits policy is different to mine, which could well mean he would be uninsured in the ROI on 29/3, whereas I would not.

This whole thing may be scaremongering, but keep in mind a GC can't be issued until 30days before travel, so if you need to travel to the ROI on the 31st for work on monday, you would really need to be contacting insurer end Feb.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
In the event of a no deal crash out of the EU(therefore, borders) pretty much immediately drivers who do not have a green card** from both sides of the border will be driving without insurance.

**A green card basically says 2 things,

1) you have insurance
2) your insurance is covering you for the legal minimum level of cover for that country. Currently Third Party Only

Cheers Chris I'll have to ring insurance and look into this then if that's the case.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
^Indeed. With bike tour plans I'm watching how it all unfolds very closely.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
This is pretty significant:

I have a multi vehicle insurance policy. Will my Green Card cover all the vehicles on my policy?

No. Each Green Card applies only to one specific vehicle and one specific motor insurance policy. So each of the vehicles will require their own specific Green Card.

In other words it’ll be impossible to hold a multicar policy and drive anything other than 1 of the cars in the south.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I read that as a separate card will be required for each car on the policy.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Mmmm. I’m reading that as 1 specific car and 1 specific policy ie 1 green card per policy with a car reg on it.

Whereas I think my multicar is 1 policy number but 3 car regs on it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.