insurance quotes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big cyril

RMS Regular
wingnut said:
Without bragging I reckon I could manage a hot hatch alright. QUOTE]

No offence , but that is a perception shared by most younger drivers.
If you asked 100 people if they thought they were a better than average driver I bet >95 % would say they were.
You do the maths!

@ Andy gdon - that story is typical of why inexperienced drivers should not be allowed into quick cars - you had clearly left him behind with about twice as much bhp but of course he couldn't accept that and had to 'race' and getting past was more important than safety.:mad:

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
no offence to any owners but i have drive faster go-karts than some vtr saxos, jump in a rs focus, gti golf or a honda type R and you would have brown marks all over your pants. If your going to brag about being the man in a "hot hatch" at least refer to one.........

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Comber Spud said:
My boyfriends just got quotes for two new cars at the moment he drives a 1.4 saxo at £1400.He is looking at a megane coupe 2l 16v and he got quoted £1800 and a corsa 16 16v at £2100 ant those are with quinn.thats not bad for an R plater on fully comp.

Thought ya dropped him!:p

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
big cyril said:
No offence , but that is a perception shared by most younger drivers.
If you asked 100 people if they thought they were a better than average driver I bet >95 % would say they were.
You do the maths!

I see what you are saying, though I have done many miles on bikes quite a bit quicker than a hot hatch hence the speed would not really catch me off gaurd. I'd probably look upon it as nippy rather than "flyin".

brendy

RMS Regular
so a child running out between cars, a blow out, drunk driver in front of you, oil spillages etc would be no problem to you then? **** youre a better driver than most on here then.
I dont consider myself to be especially good, but very capable of reigning down the speed monkey when going through 30's and 40's where most accidents happen.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I detest speeding through 30s and 40s myself. There is always wee scrotes on R plates racing on both sides of the road up my street. Sometimes doing well over double the thirty.

Gormley

RMS Regular
I just my opinion but I actually think that giving young drivers (17-20) stupidity high quotes on cars with any sort of performance is a bad thing. My reason for this is that typically your average grp 1-5 car will yes be pretty slow so that the higher speeds will not be possible but will also have **** brakes and handling making them more likely to get into trouble and when they do crash the cars safety is normally pretty poor.

From my own experience if my friend was to go round a corner at say 50mph in his 1.2 8v corsa the bloody thing would be all over the place, now if i was to go round the same corner at 60 my car (vti civic) it wouldn’t even twitch, now bear in mind were both 20, are pretty sensible, have been driving about the same time and both have never crashed who’s likely to crash first?

Also I found that in my first car a saxo vtr I found myself getting into a few hairy situations over time but in the civic which is a lot fast and has better handing I have never found myself having any bother both cars would be driven reasonably quickly but I have never driven round like a t**t.

Basically I think that yes its far to say that a lot of young drivers drive beyond their cars capabilities but if they had a decent car the capabilities would be a lot higher and less deaths would occur, or mabie im totally wrong?

brendy

RMS Regular
gormley blame the car manufacturers for making braking systems so bad on small output cars, they do it for a few reasons, shaving costs is one, imagine the price of a 1.2 corsa with 280mm discs with pads to match , larger servos and pipelines to accomodate it, to allow bigger brakes, steelies would be virtually impossible to use unless using 16"ers so alloys would be the way to go. just for braking related changes the cost alone would bump the price of the car up 20 percent.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Gormley said:
I just my opinion but I actually think that giving young drivers (17-20) stupidity high quotes on cars with any sort of performance is a bad thing. My reason for this is that typically your average grp 1-5 car will yes be pretty slow so that the higher speeds will not be possible but will also have **** brakes and handling making them more likely to get into trouble and when they do crash the cars safety is normally pretty poor.

?
I agree that low ins gp cars tend to have poorer brakes and handling than quicker ones generally but that difference is miniscule compared to the performance difference.

eg my current weekend car has approx 6x the bhp of my first car yet from reasonable speeds eg 60 mph it will not stop an awful lot better (although from 140 it would be a different matter!). Sure the handling is better also but the point is not about how fast you could get round the corner I reckon more accidents are caused by folks not being able to deal with whatever unexpected is round the corner 'cos they were going too quick which is an attitudinal issue rather than a braking one.

Bronk

RMS Regular
my insurance is 1.7k fully comp

not bad for a vts with all mods declared..20 yr old..1st time driver

brendy

RMS Regular
is that quote on your own with no other named drivers?
what i mean is , is it a proper policy or is it loaded against another named driver , if not is it a farmers union policy or what as no 20 year old could get insurance on a vts normally.

Bronk

RMS Regular
its on my own name..with no named drivers but myself..no famers union etc

just proper insurance

p 5ary

RMS Regular
Bronk said:
its on my own name..with no named drivers but myself..no famers union etc

just proper insurance

if you stick a parent down as a named driver bronk that would lower it for you surely!

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
i disowned you at birth what i seen what had been spawned so ugly, so yes i am your dad but you are still an orphan. :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.