I've came to the conclusion....snowfoam doesn't work.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
A lot will probably disagree with me but I'm 100% sure snowfoam is pointless.

Foamed half the car with dedicated snowfoam lance and snowfoam, the other quarter I put some car shampoo into the standard foam bottle that comes with the pressure washer. And the other quarter I just pre Rinsed with normal water.

Left them to dwell for the same time and rinsed it off, if anything the car shampoo side turned out better, no mess left behind and works out seriously cheaper, followed closely by the just powerhosed bit.

Can't help but think it's a gimmick, it looks good but seriously that's it., I know it helps soften dirt but so does a soaking with water. I can see any benefit of using it at all.

What's your thoughts?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
my thoughts, as someone who makes and sells it.....

there is a place for it.

Is it an essential step? No, not for people who are happy enough with a standard soap and suds wash, be it washed by themselves, or by a car wash somewhere.
For people who want to minimise the risk of inflicting marring etc. then it is definitely an essential step.

I wouldn't wash my car, van, lorry, or anything else without snow foaming first.

Snow foams by themselves will not remove all of the dirt - they're not intended to. They are supposed to help soften dirt etc. before washing it.

The ideal method of application is spray with a non caustic traffic film remover (like Articulate) first, then snow foam, then rinse off. Then wash with shampoo, and finally if you want to be really fancy, use a spray wax.

I sell a fair bit of it, because it is good at what it does.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I think it would depend on the product, if its very diluted it won't have much effect but if it's more concentrated it will give better results.

You would need to compare a few different types to give an accurate result.
The foam we used from Ross aka big pimp was very good and not expensive.

stevensti

RMS Regular
Drives
slowly
So after using a few different types of snow foam what are people using these days. I have used orchard and something else that I have forgotten the name of but what would people recommend?

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Noob to detailing here, but I've seen this term "marring" used quite frequently but can someone explain to me what it means?

simy

RMS Regular
I remember being told years ago over on DW to put warm water in the bottle to activate the foam. Is this still the case?, never saw the point as cold water runs through the hose anyway.

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
One thing I've found with the Valet Pro Ultimate Snow Foam is that it dulls the rubbers around the doors almost to the point of making them Grey and on the high gloss parts of the BM's, it leaves them with that rainbow effect tarnish. I used Meguiars gold class shampoo and have done for a few years without any issues but since I started using the SF, I've noticed this slowly happening so I've stopped using it.

Is the Valet Pro stuff too strong?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I never bother any more, mostly due to laziness. I noticed a minimal advantage when using foam but quite frankly it wasn't worth the hassle of digging the pressure washer, extension leads and everything else out of the shed and then tidying everything away again. Now I only do it if I'm doing a few motors at once, otherwise its bucket and mitt only.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
I think I have used every snow foam there is on the market now by this stage. This does not include "home brew" snow foams though so I cant comment on anything like that.

A lot of them are total rubbish. I found I needed to fill half the bottle with some of them, to get the foam quick enough.

The one I currently use and is the best from my own personal experience, is Angel Wax. Real thick foam and a good cling to it and it doesnt smell bad.

I find it an essential step in the wash process and would not wash my car without this step first. It allows the dirt / grime to be softened before a wash mitt (or dare I say it..sponge) be applied to the paintwork. This then gets powerwashed off, taking a lot of the dirt / grime with it, ready for the next stage when the wash mitt comes out. As there is now less dirt / grime, there is less chance of scratches when rubbing the wash mitt on the paintwork.

A lot of people mistakenly think snow foam is the same as soap. Its not. Soap is the next stage. Snow foam is designed to loosen dirt before the soap stage, so when the soap stage comes, potential for rubbing dirt into the paintwork is minimised.

Thats my take on it. The average Joe hasnt an effing clue just what it takes to wash a motor properly and that's the truth. Im sure any one in the detailing biz will agree with that one!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I find that hard to believe tbh. I've heard someone say that before but its never really worked for me. I've got a car cleanish without touching it but not properly clean.

I think you need to come demo it on my car to see :p

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
OP
Eamo_vxr
Drives
Slow and low!
I dont expect the car to be totally clean after snowfoam, my point is theres no difference in using it and just powerwashing.

This is the thing, if the snowfoam actually done anything you could rinse it off with a normal garden Hose and see a difference. But it's the pressure washer doing its thing that gets rid of the grime and loose dirt imo.

Done another car today, foamed half of it and just rinsed the other half. When it came to power washing it all down afterwards there was literally no difference.

I've tried at least 10 different snowfoams now and they're all cr@p. They just look good nothing else.

A good technique with a 2 bucket wash is where it's at as far as preventing swirls etc.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I general find I use the snowfoam like a shampoo - spray it on and then take a mitt and give the car the going over.
This 'spray it on and watch the dirt wash off' promise most of them give... Well, it's never happened for me.

PhilM

RMS Regular
I snow foam purely to get soap all over the car. Then wash with a mitt.

Basically saves me dicking about with a bucket and sponge to get the soap on.

Same here

I find it the fastest way to give the car a quick once over.

Even then I only do it when I'm in my duds and in the mood. Lol

Phil

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
A lot will probably disagree with me but I'm 100% sure snowfoam is pointless.

Foamed half the car with dedicated snowfoam lance and snowfoam, the other quarter I put some car shampoo into the standard foam bottle that comes with the pressure washer. And the other quarter I just pre Rinsed with normal water.

Left them to dwell for the same time and rinsed it off, if anything the car shampoo side turned out better, no mess left behind and works out seriously cheaper, followed closely by the just powerhosed bit.

Can't help but think it's a gimmick, it looks good but seriously that's it., I know it helps soften dirt but so does a soaking with water. I can see any benefit of using it at all.

What's your thoughts?

Completely agree and I've got black cars I'm anal about. Only thing I really use snow foam for is chasing the kids with. It's great fun for that.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I never bother any more, mostly due to laziness. I noticed a minimal advantage when using foam but quite frankly it wasn't worth the hassle of digging the pressure washer, extension leads and everything else out of the shed and then tidying everything away again. Now I only do it if I'm doing a few motors at once, otherwise its bucket and mitt only.

Agreed!!!

I can't see the swirls from inside the car lol

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I dont expect the car to be totally clean after snowfoam, my point is theres no difference in using it and just powerwashing.

This is the thing, if the snowfoam actually done anything you could rinse it off with a normal garden Hose and see a difference. But it's the pressure washer doing its thing that gets rid of the grime and loose dirt imo.

Done another car today, foamed half of it and just rinsed the other half. When it came to power washing it all down afterwards there was literally no difference.

I've tried at least 10 different snowfoams now and they're all cr@p. They just look good nothing else.

A good technique with a 2 bucket wash is where it's at as far as preventing swirls etc.

While I mostly agree with your point, blasting dirt into your paint with high pressure water isn't good for it!

brendy

RMS Regular
Anyone care to explain how the lesser surface area of bubbles/snowfoam can soak into dirt/tar better than good old soapy water?
It's a gimmick, car care companies make new products to expand sales and of course they become essentials.

C4L

RMS Regular
Snow foam is for 2 things:

- Holding moisture on the car for longer to soften dirt (Yes it softens dirt more so than rinsing and if you pay attention it will remove minimal coarse dirt)

- Removing dust etc. after polishing or wax application without 'contacting' the paintwork

If you have dirty hands rinse them with water then immediately wash or alternatively bathe them in water for 5 minutes then wash you know which one is easier and requires less scrubbing - think how this translates to your paintwork and what scrubbing entails.

/Thread.

P.s. It is not for washing a car, you are not using it wrong, it's not a gimmick or any of the other comments in the thread - it's just advertised to wash your car, which it doesn't. Ross's stuff is great btw (y)

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
@brendy - you're actually onto a really good point there.
Ideal application is to spray the car with some form of TFR first which is responsible for the initial clean. Spray covers more evenly and works better than foam.

My preferred method is to spray first, and then foam it. This has a 2 fold effect of the non caustic TFR softening and loosening all initial dirt. Then before i rinse all that crap off, I foam on top of the articulate.

This gives additional dwell time without the car drying out, and also a large amount of the pre softened dirt and crap drips off meaning that when I then rinse the car off, I get most of the dirt off in a touch less method.

Only then do I use gleam shampoo to wash the vehicle.

Monday - Friday for quick washing I do the first 2 steps for a touch less wash and only really shampoo wash it at the weekend when I have a bit more time

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.