K&N crankcase breather = MOT failure

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Does anyone know when this was introduced?
Has anyone else had this problem during an MOT ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
wow thats mad. stick a pipe on leading to round the back of the engine someplace hidden

I guess its an emissions thing

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its always been the case. You are not allowed to vent the crankcase to atmosphere. It must be re-circualted for all those apparently nasty fumes to get re-burnt within the engine.

Unless you can be sneaky and disguise the fact you are venting otherwise.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Yep, all emissions must come out the exhaust, and that includes the crank case breather.

Just hide it out of sight or pull the filter off and hide the pipe and they'll never see it :grinning:

Daz500

RMS Regular
OP
Daz500
Drives
Various Rovers &
I managed to pass the emission test by altering the ECU with the help of the wideband :-#

Because it's a retest I have to do something proper with it. If I had known before hand then I would have rigged up a bit of pipework out of sight.

This is the first time I've ever come across a problem with a K&N crankcase filter though. For the retest, I'll be able to hook it up to the breather on the otherside. It just seems such a petty thing to fail on and they were very helpful on everything else which surprised me. I think they were quite impressed with my Rover being all nice, shiny and loud ;)

S_Gault

RMS Regular
the car should be clean as a whistle on emissions on injection, i can get full race engines thru with less than 0.5% CO and you clean the hydrocarbons up by some clever mapping of ignition and valve timing

Daz500

RMS Regular
OP
Daz500
Drives
Various Rovers &
Arouser said:
lol dam rite its loud!!

whatd do you mean ?
what till the external wastegate and bigger turbo go on ;)

S_Gault said:
the car should be clean as a whistle on emissions on injection, i can get full race engines thru with less than 0.5% CO and you clean the hydrocarbons up by some clever mapping of ignition and valve timing

it's still on a running-in map and I only had 30 minutes to fiddle with the settings. I'm only an amateur afterall :p . There'll be plenty of time to get it through properly next year

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.