Leon FR DSG or . . . . . ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
So I have taken a horrendous notion to get something nice to drive to work in as I'm struggling to justify throwing the guts of £100 out the exhaust of the Range Rover. (This is my mental punishment for having all the time on the world to scour Auto Trader while I recover from a fractured pelvis).

I like the look of the mk3 Leon FR, particularly in the 184bhp DSG TDI. Anyone got one, or can give me any real life feedback?

Also looked at an A3 Saloon which had loads of nice kit but but was a couple K more and I'm struggling to justify that. Also considered a TT but that's conforming to a stereotype.

I'd like something DSG / auto, lots of standard kit, cheap to tax and a lot of miles per gallon. I havnt considered a petrol one in particular as I do 20k+ a year, unless real life mpgs are similar, hence the thread :grinning: Low miles is a must so I can keep.it for a few years and not have something difficult to sell on. Budget is 12k, 13 at a push.

Finally, I've considered leasing, but the extra milage charges soon add up with the miles I do.

Any thoughts/recommendations? I can't drive at the moment so perfect time to be doing research (y)

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
Did have a brief look at them. Although I see how they are a great car I don't need something that big and somehow would rather a Seat than Skoda even though they are basically identical :laughing:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Did have a brief look at them. Although I see how they are a great car I don't need something that big and somehow would rather a Seat than Skoda even though they are basically identical :laughing:
**** away off then you. :p Skoda would be my choice.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
320i would be a bit dull I'd of thought. Have had a procession of BMWs too.

Even took a random notion for a CLK320 cdi at half the budget but it'll not be economical and the 7g boxes look to give headaches. My brothers ended up with a horrendous down change get even after services etc.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
@Boabybooster are they all CVT boxes? The ones where the revs stay the same and it just goes faster lol?
The wife has a RX400h with a CVT and its pretty good, mind you its a 3.3 petrol plus the hybrid system, 0-60 in 7.9 and still does mid 30s mpg, impressive for a big compfy bus.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I had a 150bhp Leon before my Cupra and my brother in law has the 184bhp Derv.

I can honestly not fault the cars in anyway. He would do biggish miles in his and always gets great mpg ( roughly high 40's ) and he doesn't hang about.

Mine isn't a FR but basically the same ( manual ) but you are more than welcome to have a look round mine.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
Cheers Jonny, must be ok to be on your second one. Any articular extras that are worth looking for? They all seem to have tech pack which is good.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
The petrols are pretty damn economical if it's mostly a roads you drive on. I regularly get 36-38 mpg. It is the older 1.8T but I think the newer engines are much the same.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Cheers Jonny, must be ok to be on your second one. Any articular extras that are worth looking for? They all seem to have tech pack which is good.

Yes tech pack is a must, company cars don't normally have them if you see one for sale.

The winter pack is quite good but I didn't want to wait on an ordered one. The only other option I have is the full link. I regret selling my FR at times lol

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
Why do you regret selling it? I've spotted a nice one one in England but if course I've started looking before I've sold the 350 ffs.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Why do you regret selling it? I've spotted a nice one one in England but if course I've started looking before I've sold the 350 ffs.

B5 Passat for slumming as a commuter and a TDV8 for being an equestrian snob...?

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
B5 Passat for slumming as a commuter and a TDV8 for being an equestrian snob...?

Although a TDv8 is the pinnacle of motoring as we know it, the horses will quickly kick it, sit on it, get their smell into it etc etc. I'm happy to let the silver one get ruined but not a nice one.

Although, I'd nearly swap ya mine for that lovely lorry you have sitting :grinning:

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
I have the Mk7 GTD and the DSG gearbox is like butter 99.9% of the time for the price of a newish FR you could pick up a pretty well spec'd used GTD with about 20k miles on it for about the same money

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Although a TDv8 is the pinnacle of motoring as we know it, the horses will quickly kick it, sit on it, get their smell into it etc etc. I'm happy to let the silver one get ruined but not a nice one.

Although, I'd nearly swap ya mine for that lovely lorry you have sitting :grinning:

Don't feckin tempt me :p

It's getting a bit of work done to it in the next month or so. It'll be brand new soon...

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
You know me @Nicky I'm impulsive when it comes to stuff like this. I've a nice big barn to keep it in and all!

Alan_B

RMS Regular
OP
Alan_B
Drives
Whatever
I have the Mk7 GTD and the DSG gearbox is like butter 99.9% of the time for the price of a newish FR you could pick up a pretty well spec'd used GTD with about 20k miles on it for about the same money
What DSG box is it goes in these, the 6 or 7 speed? Is there anything in particular to note about them?

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
What DSG box is it goes in these, the 6 or 7 speed? Is there anything in particular to note about them?
6 speed, they are sharp but when your pushing it on sometimes you will get a little kick in the back from the change using the paddles. there are a few things that i have noticed the gear box can do i have only had it happen a few times tho, it will hold the gear then you shift down too and are slowing and it is almost like it is free wheeling which can put you in a bit of a spot specially when you spot a gap at a busy junction

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.