List of cars that went down on the ship on fire, Felicity Ace

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Sickening - brand new cars can be replaced for new owners but its the older cars that must have meant something to the owners that cannot be replaced

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI

Same again this time. Very sad to hear about a crew member loosing his life.

Think the EV's are a bit of a game changer for sea travel. Thinking of the possible greater hazards of one catching fire on our domestic roll on, roll off vessels (with more people on board) after being driven a considerable distance and arriving aboard fairly warm.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
How hilarious would it be if EVs were banned from ferry crossings 😂
Ferry companies and UKFRS are in discussions along with Health & Safety etc at the moment to find a solution.

Being parked on outside decks in the interim period is a proposal, so they can be pushed over the back into the sea, car fire blankets (which don't work) are going to be carried on ferry's in an attempt to prevent escalation but would only make a difference if the fire occurred when the ship was minutes away from docking.

Nobody has the answer but as we've seen, one EV fire can sink a ship.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

Same again this time. Very sad to hear about a crew member loosing his life.

Think the EV's are a bit of a game changer for sea travel. Thinking of the possible greater hazards of one catching fire on our domestic roll on, roll off vessels (with more people on board) after being driven a considerable distance and arriving aboard fairly warm.

Irish Ferries, Dublin-Holyhead even have EV chargers on board, no doubt other operators too.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Ferry companies and UKFRS are in discussions along with Health & Safety etc at the moment to find a solution.

Being parked on outside decks in the interim period is a proposal, so they can be pushed over the back into the sea, car fire blankets (which don't work) are going to be carried on ferry's in an attempt to prevent escalation but would only make a difference if the fire occurred when the ship was minutes away from docking.

Nobody has the answer but as we've seen, one EV fire can sink a ship.
How many EV fires not caused by external factors have you attended?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
How many EV fires not caused by external factors have you attended?
I've only been to a small number so far. All where thermal runaway with no external factor.

My biggest fear would be battery compromisation due to damage in an RTC causing thermal runaway. Literally seconds and the occupants would have no chance of survival.

This is the perfect example of Thermal Runaway. 1m18 secs onwards. Those flames are over 1000 degrees C, white vapour is a toxic vapour cloud with heavy metal nanoparticles which if inhaled will kill you.

Last edited:

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Irish Ferries, Dublin-Holyhead even have EV chargers on board, no doubt other operators too.
That's just complete stupidly if you ask me.

Also, they mustn't be very fast chargers, the ships generators can only produce so much power. Wonder if they are simply there in case someone arrives with zero miles and they need to charge it enough to get them off the at the other side 🤔

RCT

RMS Regular
I know with our insurance company we cannot charge customers or any of our own cars overnight inside the car dealerships building unattended. It has to be during day only. Outside is fine anytime but inside no.

Just seen this as well, so the hauliers have to be careful what they are pulling. Common sense most of it, but I don’t know how some are supposed to deal with certain issues. I believe that Renault have to take some cars back to a main location in Uk to fully discharge/replace batteries, but that may have changed now and done at the dealerships.

Attachments

• IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 59

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Will thermal runaway continue even with the absence of oxygen. Is it combustion or a chemical reaction. Just curious if you could park all electric cars in a special chamber on a ferry you could flood with CO2 or argon or similar.

@gpaevo

RCT

RMS Regular
@RWL It’s actually a concern for some of the multi story car parks, but more so for the weight of them!

Reactions: RWL

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
@RWL It’s actually a concern for some of the multi story car parks, but more so for the weight of them!

Yes, had thought that too for modern cars generally - there’s bound to be lots of multi storey car parks groaning under the weight of modern cars with tolerances they were built and designed to likely inadequate for what they are being asked to deal with now!

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Will thermal runaway continue even with the absence of oxygen. Is it combustion or a chemical reaction. Just curious if you could park all electric cars in a special chamber on a ferry you could flood with CO2 or argon or similar.

@gpaevo
Chemical reaction that can start again weeks after being put out, as the cells continue to breakdown. It creates it's own oxygen as far as I am aware, hence car blankets etc don't work.

Davytog

RMS Regular
Drives
GTD
My understnding is that the basis of such runaways involve several highly exothermic chemical reactions that generate massive energy release in the form of heat. Such chemical reactions are not dependent on Oxygen being present but as gpaevo says they can cause reduction reactions of other substances in the battery which is the release of Oxygen. Its seems a lot of research papers have been published but I didnt see any that had a firm solution. This has to be a major issue for EV,s going forward

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
That's just complete stupidly if you ask me.

Also, they mustn't be very fast chargers, the ships generators can only produce so much power. Wonder if they are simply there in case someone arrives with zero miles and they need to charge it enough to get them off the at the other side 🤔
You can book an ev charging space on the Irish ferries Dublin to Cherbourg route so I assume it’s the same on other routes.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
You can book an ev charging space on the Irish ferries Dublin to Cherbourg route so I assume it’s the same on other routes.
Until there is a clear definitive way to put a battery fire out in a very short space of time, I personally think charging EV's on a ship is bonkers.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
There are a lot of different types of lithium ion battery, the most common currently is NMC which is comprised of heavy metals and has a higher risk of thermal runaway. But there is already much safer battery technology in the market, the BYD Blade battery is considered the market leader and the only one to pass the nail penetration test. These batteries are already in cars which are now driving around Ireland. Some Tesla's shipped out of Giga Berlin have this BYD battery also. So these safety issues are only a short term problem, albeit in a few million cars already manufactured!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I've only been to a small number so far. All where thermal runaway with no external factor.

My biggest fear would be battery compromisation due to damage in an RTC causing thermal runaway. Literally seconds and the occupants would have no chance of survival.

This is the perfect example of Thermal Runaway. 1m18 secs onwards. Those flames are over 1000 degrees C, white vapour is a toxic vapour cloud with heavy metal nanoparticles which if inhaled will kill you.

Wonder if the car was making those silly fart noises Tesla’s can fo as it was just about to combust

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
How hilarious would it be if EVs were banned from ferry crossings 😂

When I worked at Wrightbus, when transporting the hydrogen buses over to the mainland, they had to be completely purged, no charge, on the back of a low loader and on the outside deck

Just a FYI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.