M135i Won't Launch

EricBanana

RMS Member
Drives
BMW M135i
I've a 2022 M135i and struggling to launch the thing. I have reviewed the manual and various posts on the key combinations and it never goes into launch mode.

I spoke to the dealer and they said my gearbox isn't capable of the launch...eh?
Paraphrasing, but there are 2 version of the gear box and the one I have doesn't come with the Launch "setting".
Can anyone confirm this? I got a gearbox code from the dealer of GA8G45XAW but I can't get the details I need from that.

G24NTR

RMS Regular
The car won't let you use launch control until it's warmed up.

Your car should have launch control, my 9 year old BMW derv has launch control FFS.

1000008104.jpg

EricBanana

RMS Member
OP
E
Drives
BMW M135i
Yeah man it's so stupid.
I followed all those instructions and when I have my foot on the brake and push the accelerator there are no "launch" flags/indicators to say anything is about to happen.
When I'm pushing the accelerator there's a loud grinding like it's just fighting the brakes. It's defo not in launch mode.
Just to clarify Step 3...
I have the car in Sport mode; gear stick In D and then push it left to go to M/S.
(Handbrake obviously off too 😜)

G24NTR

RMS Regular
Very strange. Contact BMW with your VIN and ask them if the car has it?

You can enable launch control with xHP maps but it's an expensive way to do something the car should do from factory.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
😬 I didn’t know my m135 had launch control, 👍 only owned it 2 1/2 years

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@EricBanana in this instance it would appear your BM doesn’t have launch control. It should be a matter of traction off shift into sport hold brake and boom. How ever yours isn’t doing that so it’s highly unlikely it has launch control which is weird as almost all do these days.

EricBanana

RMS Member
OP
E
Drives
BMW M135i
Has it (or is it possible) maybe been disabled? Was it a leased car or something?
I can't tell if Coopers post above is sarcastic, but to clarify the car is 2022 but I've only owned it a few months. This is the first time I've tried to launch...and failed.
The "dealer" is Bavarian. They said the car can be specc'd with one of 2 gearboxes - the auto I have doesn't have the launch. I can't find any information online about this including going to the website and building a new one - I don't see the gear box options.

So what I'm trying to work out is what box I have and is the "launch" a software or a mechanical upgrade.

Some forums say there isn't a launch flag but it should be obvious it's about to take off. Mine grinds like it's fighting the brakes and I have to let go of the brake as it sounds like grinding.
It's not a big loss but I can't find any info on the Launch being an extra spec or different product.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
This could be a stupid thing but is it possible that the launches have all been used. The reason I ask is that I know in some of the years of MINI with launch control there was a limit to how many the computer would allow you to do - they said it was to protect the gearbox. It was something stupid like 100 times. I don’t know if BMW has the same limitations.

G24NTR

RMS Regular
This could be a stupid thing but is it possible that the launches have all been used. The reason I ask is that I know in some of the years of MINI with launch control there was a limit to how many the computer would allow you to do - they said it was to protect the gearbox. It was something stupid like 100 times. I don’t know if BMW has the same limitations.

Correct in the past at least. xHP software lets you over ride this.