Mercedes Paint Defects

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Has anyone on the Forum had issues with Micro Blisters on Factory Mercedes Paintwork?

We have an Opal Red SL, 2017 with 14k miles, it was pulled out of the Garage last week and noticed a Huge Blister on the Bonnet (50mm Dia.) and Tops of the Doors, Quarters and Bootlid covered in Pin head sized blisters.

What's the likelihood of Mercedes sorting this? and where do I stand with this?

I was planning to sell the car shortly due to lack of use, in my opinion if the car needs painted it will raise questions regarding Accident Damage and Affect the value of the car.

It's off to Agnew's on Friday for a Review of the Paintwork, They are playing their cards close to their chest.

Attachments

• bb7c99a2-a015-446f-a8bd-7219e8cb66c6.jpeg
    bb7c99a2-a015-446f-a8bd-7219e8cb66c6.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Pretty sure Jason mentioned something about this a while back with red Mercs.

Reactions: IL

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
All red Mercs get lacquer peel, very common issue especially in the older c class.

I believe Merc were standing over some of them years ago but couldn't say for nowadays.

As you say, the only real fix is to go back to metal and respray.

• Sad

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Quick check online and seems Mercedes cover paintwork up to 8 years - some saying that the car needs FMSH but I don't see how that would affect the paint

Audi/VW/VAG is 12 years and I have claimed once (my old S4 Avant) with no issue - they did some paint depth checks to see if it had been sprayed before and were happy enough to take it on

• Sad

KevM

RMS Regular
If you arent the Original owner from new and/or dont have a Full Service record, forget it. They wont even entertain covering it

• Angry

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
If you arent the Original owner from new and/or dont have a Full Service record, forget it. They wont even entertain covering it

Bought it Ex Demo, 4 months old from Merc Edinburgh with 2500miles, Id imagine that's as good as owned from new?

It has a Full Service History, albeit it has a service overdue, which is why it was pulled out or the garage!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Opal fire red had this as a common problem. For a while Mercedes were respraying cars (with the exception of plastic panels)

Worth giving them a call at least.

• Sad

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Worth giving them a call at least.

They are inspecting it on Friday, hoping they will stand over it, but not really dying about having a car painted by Agnews Front to Back.

SEAN G

RMS Regular
Plenty of posts online regarding this issue
With plenty of people reporting problems with Fire Opal Red
Google Fire Opal Red problems and you’ll see a lot of discussions relating to this

Hopefully you get it sorted

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Exact same thing happened with my uncles Opal Red SL. They resprayed it about 3 years ago and it's back doing the same thing again.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I warned him about it at the time he was buying it but wouldn't listen. I'd say it's taken a fair knock on the resale price now it's blistered again.

• Sad

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Customer of mine but a C Class of similar vintage in red at auction for next to feck all, sailed it straight down down to Agnews, gave them bad manners and got a full respray. This was around 6months ago.

KevM

RMS Regular
Customer of mine but a C Class of similar vintage in red at auction for next to feck all, sailed it straight down down to Agnews, gave them bad manners and got a full respray. This was around 6months ago.

Id say he's talking fibs

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Quick check online and seems Mercedes cover paintwork up to 8 years - some saying that the car needs FMSH but I don't see how that would affect the paint

Audi/VW/VAG is 12 years and I have claimed once (my old S4 Avant) with no issue - they did some paint depth checks to see if it had been sprayed before and were happy enough to take it on
Not the case now. 3 year warranty on paint, 9/12 on corrosion perforation.