Mineral White E92 M3

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Need to name that mechanic - sneaky tactics like that cannot be allowed to get away with regardless of who may have done it

If that was truly the case, they should have been unbelievably apologetic and snatched the keys out of your hand to sort immediately!

Last edited:

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
Is it a local garage? Would be good to know where to avoid... 😬🫣

Glad the M3 is ok though 😅

Need to name that mechanic - sneaky tactics like cannot be allowed to get away with regardless of who may have done it

If that was truly the case, they should have been unbelievably apologetic and snatched the keys out of your hand to sort immediately!
Don't really care naming them tbh. All they did was offer to book the mot retest for me which I had to chase them about 5 times to actually do. The warranty for the work completed already is largely irrelevant as i wouldn't be leaving it there ever again.

It's CR Autoworx in poyntzpass. And just so if this ever gets to them, I wouldn't have named them if there was even a shred of honesty about who did it and why. But they've lied and denied it but its clear as day it was them so there it is. Avoid.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
How much of a job is the road bearings and throttle actuators to get done on one of these, are we talking a few grand, as one of these is on the radar in the next year or 2 for me. Most for sale seem to already have them some though which is good.

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
How much of a job is the road bearings and throttle actuators to get done on one of these, are we talking a few grand, as one of these is on the radar in the next year or 2 for me. Most for sale seem to already have them some though which is good.
Throttle actuators aren't too bad and don't need done until they go, whereas the rod bearings is preventative maintenance so just keep that in mind. And give me a shout when you decide to buy 😁

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’ve decided that my next buy has to be a V8 and have at least 4 seats. I’ve yet to tick a V8 off the bucket list.

Likely a M3 just like yours lol. The Lexus ISF is a definite contender too, the reliability of them is supposed to be excellent but I know an M3 would just be that bit more sharp and more of a drivers car.

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
M3 back today from Colm Hyland. Rod bearings done, they actually weren't bad at all. I always warm the car fully before driving it hard which seems to be the main cause of wear, looks like previous owners were careful as well going by the condition of these.

20231108_152544.jpg

I also got a new battery and the gearbox oil topped up. Battery was weak last winter but grand in summer. Starting to struggle again so was time to replace.

Colm advised it looked like water had gotten into the battery compartment at some stage, although it was bone dry now. From looking on cutters, the most depressing place on the Internet, it looks like the drain from the fuel filler can end up leaking in to the battery compartment. Not sure if that's what happened here but when I get a chance I will pull the rear arch liner off and have a look. It's an easy fix if that was the cause, but could already be sorted as it is dry now.

That's it for now. STILL needs the wheels refurbed. Will get to that over time, was more important to me to spend the money on making sure it's mechanically sound, which it now appears to be 😁

Just to add I couldn't recommend Colm enough. Told me he'd need the car for a week, had it ready in 2 days. Compared to our scirocco experience elsewhere, it's night and day difference in service. Should have asked if they work on VWs too 😂

GrantR

RMS Regular
M3 back today from Colm Hyland. Rod bearings done, they actually weren't bad at all. I always warm the car fully before driving it hard which seems to be the main cause of wear, looks like previous owners were careful as well going by the condition of these.

View attachment 416328

I also got a new battery and the gearbox oil topped up. Battery was weak last winter but grand in summer. Starting to struggle again so was time to replace.

Colm advised it looked like water had gotten into the battery compartment at some stage, although it was bone dry now. From looking on cutters, the most depressing place on the Internet, it looks like the drain from the fuel filler can end up leaking in to the battery compartment. Not sure if that's what happened here but when I get a chance I will pull the rear arch liner off and have a look. It's an easy fix if that was the cause, but could already be sorted as it is dry now.

That's it for now. STILL needs the wheels refurbed. Will get to that over time, was more important to me to spend the money on making sure it's mechanically sound, which it now appears to be 😁

Just to add I couldn't recommend Colm enough. Told me he'd need the car for a week, had it ready in 2 days. Compared to our scirocco experience elsewhere, it's night and day difference in service. Should have asked if they work on VWs too 😂

Don't look too bad tbh, though it's a piece of mind! PS Cutters is just the embodiment of this:

4AkiO.gif

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Check the wee compartment in the left hand side of the boot too, opposite from the battery.

I was taking mine for a skelp one day and heard a big pop at 100+ then the cabin filled with smoke, I sh*t myself. Smoke was coming out of the speakers behind the rear seats.

I discovered that wee compartment containing the amp had about 2 inches of water resting in the bottom of it. No idea where it came from. But there was a wee drain with a grommet in it. I removed the grommet, drained the water, took out the amp and dried it and cleaned all the contacts, put it all back together and all worked fine, and water never gathered again. Was very strange though!

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
Couple of updates, had eibach springs sitting since October time, finally ordered the shortened bump stops and shaved top mounts needed for the front to give the same travel as standard. Glad I did this as I found her scirocco very crashy since we lowered it.

Got it all fitted last weekend. Need an alignment still but sits so much better now. Need to look at some spacers soon too I think.

20240121_103647.jpg

It's absolutely filthy but sure it's that time of year!

Also got a years MOT today. A bit earlier than was needed but seen a cancellation in Newry for a time that suited so just went for it!

20240121_103231.jpg

Next up, when I bought the bump stops and top mounts I also ordered some test pipes to replace the primary cats. These are sitting in the shed and will hopefully get them installed when the weather improves a bit. This will throw an eml so will need to get that mapped out too when the time comes.

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
It sits real nice now @pizza85.
Where did you get the test pipes?
I went with modstock. The guy Chris there was very helpful. He has the shortened top mounts and bump stops in stock too, top mounts are on an exchange basis

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
Couple of updates, had eibach springs sitting since October time, finally ordered the shortened bump stops and shaved top mounts needed for the front to give the same travel as standard. Glad I did this as I found her scirocco very crashy since we lowered it.

Got it all fitted last weekend. Need an alignment still but sits so much better now. Need to look at some spacers soon too I think.

View attachment 422851

It's absolutely filthy but sure it's that time of year!

Also got a years MOT today. A bit earlier than was needed but seen a cancellation in Newry for a time that suited so just went for it!

View attachment 422852

Next up, when I bought the bump stops and top mounts I also ordered some test pipes to replace the primary cats. These are sitting in the shed and will hopefully get them installed when the weather improves a bit. This will throw an eml so will need to get that mapped out too when the time comes.

You're more than welcome to come out to my shed and throw the test pipes in, I'll even give you a hand with it.

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
You're more than welcome to come out to my shed and throw the test pipes in, I'll even give you a hand with it.
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Might take you up on that. Need to decide what I'm doing software wise, as I don't know if I want to be running it for too long while still having the cold start. The neighbours have suffered enough!

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
Went for a wheel alignment a few weeks ago, they told me the inner tie rod/track rod end were seized on both sides. Replaced those yesterday with lemforder parts. While it was in the air, it would have been rude not to do the test pipes 😁

IMG-20240226-WA0058.jpeg
20240227_114917.jpg
Messenger_creation_228e297f-c04b-4d75-b6ea-8718bffbd6e9.jpg

Fairly straight forward. Some trouble with a stuck o2 sensor but got there with help from a mate with a blowtorch.

Met @McKay this evening to lift some spacers and he kindly sent me a little sound clip. I think it sounds great now tbh. Not too bad when cruising but under load, well...

pizza85

RMS Regular
OP
pizza85
Drives
E92 M3
****ing hell, that sounds unreal!
Reciprocating saw had those cats off in no time 😅

Give me a shout at some stage and I'll take you out in it, and maybe finally see the 350!