Mini Cooper S keyfob - Starts car, but won't open doors.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
The neighbour contacted me yesterday about an issue he's having with the wife's car, a 2007/8 Mini Cooper S. The keyfob won't open the doors, but still starts the car. It's the fob that looks like this.

for-BMW-MINI-3-button-smart-remote-key-control-434mhz-with-ID46-chip.jpg

He asked me if there's a way to change the battery in it but any videos or instructions I've seen online are off a different key.

Question: If it's still starting the car, is the battery and if so, how do you change it on one of these or if it isn't, what else could it be?

Boksic

RMS Regular
Either the battery is flat, or buttons pressed too many times nowhere near the car and it's lost the sync. The immo chip in the key must be grand if it's starting the car with no problems.
I would say it's probably simple enough to change the battery in it, if you can get the key in your hand it should be easy enough worked out?

snatch

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus RS
Is it not one of those sealed keys that charges its self when in the ignition?

My aunt had a similar problem but they car wouldn't start.

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
I had heard that @snatch but wasn't sure. I had hoped someone familiar with the key would maybe have changed the battery in the past.

Niall

RMS Regular
If it starts the car then the battery in the key should be fine. They are not easily opened to replace either.

Is it just the unlock button not working or do none of the buttons work? I'm more inclined to think the problem is the receiver inside the car.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Its the battery usually. They are induction charged in the ignition slot when running. The battery will fail over time. If have been told if you have an induction style toothbrush charger or a phone mat charger it will top them up to work temporarily again. Back to dealer for security reasons and new key ordered via vin number

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Could be the micro switch is broke, had the exact same problem with my corolla, bought a new key fob and reprogrammed it

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
I asked him last night if any of the other buttons works and he just replied that it doesn't unlock. ??? I told him to take it to the dealer. Thanks everyone for your help.

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
Not a clue. I'm sure it is something along the lines of "If the car stop responding to the remote keyfob, contact your nearest MINI dealership. Bring lube.".

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
if he doesn't have a spare key then his cheapest option is going to be take a chance on a new key. From there I'd be checking the receiver in the rear view mirror, if it's ever had a windscreen then id day youll find some corrosion in there

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.