MOT and Air Bags Suspension

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bora_Benz

RMS Regular
Drives
mk4 Golf,848 Evo
Ok heres a new one. Failed MOT this morning because I can adjust the height of the car from the driver seat.

Apparently as of 1st may this has came in that all cars with air bag suspension now have to have all the controls located in the boot out of the way.

Everything else fine with the car and he failed me for that. What really takes me to the fair is that even tho I have an accuair setup which means I can disconnect the controller and placed it in the boot he still wouldnt accept it. Proving the thing he was failing me for in front of him plus being a ****er about it really pissed me off. Couldn't even argue the fact as I had to go to work. Ahhh rant over.

Heads up for anyone else going to Cookstown MOT centre with Air Bags.

pheunos

RMS Regular
Surely cars fitted with airbags as standard have controls on the dash? My Range Rover did.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Surely cars fitted with airbags as standard have controls on the dash? My Range Rover did.

This ^. Obviously a jobsworth.

Anything that you think is a pass and the tester thinks is a fail, always ask for a second opinion from the center manager. Id go back and ask on your way home from work, but your chances of them doing anything now since you left the center are slim.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
My Merc was able to go up and down by about 5 inches, all at the touch of a switch on the dash board.

I would definitely have been arguing with him over that, and demanding for a second opinion (y)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That doesn't make any sense. Sure all the Citroens can be raised/lowered from the drivers seat. Unless they don't allow you to do it when on the move?

Bora_Benz

RMS Regular
OP
Bora_Benz
Drives
mk4 Golf,848 Evo
I would loved to have argued with them over it but had alot on in work so had to make the decision of leaving it. Not even going to waste my time going back after I leave work, as said above ill not have a leg to stand on becasue I left the centre in the first instance. I'll just go into ballymena tomorrow for the retest to sort it, just the hassel of it all for something so minor.

But at least this is a wee head ups for air bag users or juice!

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
They're getting ridiculous.

We need a union of car drivers to call for a national MOT boycott!! lol

Bora_Benz

RMS Regular
OP
Bora_Benz
Drives
mk4 Golf,848 Evo
cant open the links on the web page but the line on the notification of refusal was:

814: suspension : suspension system (fluid/gas) - inappropriate modification cannot be controlled while driving

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
REASON FOR REJECTION

A. ALL SUSPENSION TYPES

a. Inadequate clearance of the axle or suspension with the bump stop or chassis, or
b. A suspension unit so weak that the body or other part of the vehicle fouls a road
wheel or would do so if the vehicle was laden.
Note:
a missing bump stop rubber is not a reason for rejection.
2. A suspension component with an inappropriate repair, or a modification which has
seriously weakened the component.
3. Deliberate modification which significantly reduces the original strength, excessive
corrosion, severe distortion, a fracture or an inadequate repair of a load bearing
member or its supporting structure or supporting panelling within 30 cm of any subframe,
spring or a suspension component mounting. That is, within a ‘prescribed
area’, see Appendix A

D. FLUID/GAS SUSPENSION
1. A suspension unit or accumulator:
a. Displaced or totally deflated,
b. Damaged or deteriorated so that it is likely to fail,
c. Fouled by moving parts likely to cause damage or restrict travel.
2. A leak in the system.
3. A suspension unit supply pipe or interconnecting pipe damaged or corroded so that it
is seriously weakened.
a. An insecure levelling valve,
b. An insecure fluid supply pipe or interconnecting pipe.
5. No suspension movement.
Note:
Large vehicle suspensions can be difficult to move. Ensure there is a defect before
rejection.

avo5021

RMS Regular
It was only a matter of time before something like that happened. So our Discovery and Range Rovers etc are unsuitable then ?

Aidan316i

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34 525i Spo
FYI LC5 Model Land Cruiser's have Airbags in the back, as do LandCruiser Amazons

Both have a switch in the centre console so they can be raised or lowered, and it works while driving

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Will the car drop right down until something touches something else (bodywork - road - tyres - etc). That might be something to do with it?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
997 Pork is the same with a lift kit. Idiots the people who construct our policies

Bora_Benz

RMS Regular
OP
Bora_Benz
Drives
mk4 Golf,848 Evo
Awww who knows how well this would be followed through, I was likely just unlucky this morning.

If I knew about the change I would of just put the controller in the boot in the first place. Will know more when I hit ballymena mot centre tomorrow night with the controls in the boot, just glad im not on toggle swtiches.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
lol I can change height of my C5 while driving!

Forgot about that :grinning: might go and trail my xantia out now and run it through for the crack :p bloody big lever beside the handbrake to go from monster truck to lowrider.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.