Motorbike Insurance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Right folks how about getting together a insurance list to help new bikers?

I only know off 2 companies and that's due to them being mentioned in this subforum:
www.wickedquotes.com - seems to be the most recommended one from what i can tell
http://www.bikesure.co.uk/ - only seen this one posted this morning, having contacted them yet for a quote.

So who are you insured with?

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
ebike are terrible to deal with when you need them though, but then if its all u can get
compare the market and the bike insurer i aim for mce best extras

fiestasi

RMS Regular
ebike are terrible to deal with when you need them though, but then if its all u can get
compare the market and the bike insurer i aim for mce best extras

MCE are worse, they're criminals. I've had a huge amount of bother with them.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I had a bad experience with MCE, when I cancelled my policy they asked me for a £75 cancelation fee - agreed to that and paid there and then by card. Four weeks later they decided to take the reminder of the policy balance from my bank. After hours upon hours on the phone I got nowhere. Phoned back the following day and finally got a refund which took three days to appear on my card.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I got plagued with phonecalls from various insurance companies after putting in some details into the comparisons websites - they often said they could do a better deal than what was quoted so maybe worth talking to them as well. For the record, Wicked Quotes was far and away the cheapest for me and they include a 3rd party extension!

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I'm with Bike Devil who are basically MCE. Was just over £200 for the 'Blade and all mods declared.

francie

RMS Regular
Mce for me. Ive had no bother with them, they actually phoned me back a month into the policy saying they overcharged me by £50. They put it back into my account within 3 days.

slag

RMS Regular
MCE are worse, they're criminals. I've had a huge amount of bother with them.

I'm with fiestasi here. AVOID MCE (or anything to do with Close Premium Finance) like the plague. I had a load of trouble with them too..

clarkeg

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW S1000rr
I got my best quotes from gocompare. From memory for my 600 fazer it was around the £210 mark. I rang Adelaide Insurance (Belfast company, google them). Their original quote was around the £500 mark! They have a price match policy. All they needed were my login details for my gocompare account, gave them this, they phoned me back 30 mins later after they checked my best quote from gocompare that it was like for like (no massive excess, etc to get a low quote) and matched the gocompare quote and then beat it by 10% so I got it for £190 :grinning:. Definately recommend Adelaide.

Clarke

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Thats who im with and best by a long way for prices and havent read many bad reports.
My renewal was in the other day from them too, £220 odds the first year down to £131 this year, personal accident cover etc etc, BOOOM (y)
Thats some price drop right there!

I got my best quotes from gocompare. From memory for my 600 fazer it was around the £210 mark. I rang Adelaide Insurance (Belfast company, google them). Their original quote was around the £500 mark! They have a price match policy. All they needed were my login details for my gocompare account, gave them this, they phoned me back 30 mins later after they checked my best quote from gocompare that it was like for like (no massive excess, etc to get a low quote) and matched the gocompare quote and then beat it by 10% so I got it for £190 :grinning:. Definately recommend Adelaide.
For me, the cheapest quote i've had is from MCE @£191 - Wicked where looking £271 - thats for an SV650

Edit: clarkeg - I just did a quote through gocompare and the cheapest is with bikesure £139.72.... unbelievable!

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Took out insurance via Gocompare with Bikesure, worked out at £152.70 in the end as i hadn't selected commuting to work. Still well pleased. Cheers for the tip clarkeg

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Bikesure and wickedquotes were returning good quotes for me, I've also heard AlanBrown&Co are good. Tho I havnt tried them, their in Lurgan and Dungannon

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Been hunting for quotes, go compare are saying, for a '00 cbr 600f, lowest £978 FC, lowest TPF&T was £490ish!!! Can't insure any sports bikes at reasonably prices! It's my first bike insurance, I expected it to be high but around £500 FC! Not near £1k

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
yea was 800 tp f+t on my cbr 600rr when i was 19 then 700 the nxt year. then somehow 1500 wtf i think its because the 2 friends i hqd staying with me had there bikes reg to my house during there accidents ffs lol then down to 11 with 2 bikes. this year im expecting 800ish fc on my 2010 blade... hopefully lol

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Lol.thats nuts! Might have to be tpf&t, tho would prefer FC. I wouldn't even look at an RR. Done a quick quote and it was about 1900

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Been hunting for quotes, go compare are saying, for a '00 cbr 600f, lowest £978 FC, lowest TPF&T was £490ish!!! Can't insure any sports bikes at reasonably prices! It's my first bike insurance, I expected it to be high but around £500 FC! Not near £1k

For some reason, insurance on the alloy frame CBR 600F was about 70% higher than the steel frame. Try something older than a 1999 for comparison.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
they need to look at motorcycle insurance when they are investigating car insurance prices too. i think around this time they hike the prices up to keep people on bikes off the road with ice etc

sparkplug86

RMS Regular
Drives
2002 Toyota tspo
Not meaning to cause any offence to anyone but I am with MCE and never had any bother with them. If you speak to enough people you will find someone who has had trouble with every insurance company. MCE were clear and precise with what they covered, even called me a few times to make sure I am happy with the policy. Went with them for my first bike bike after the test and ive never looked back. Been with them 3 or 4 years now.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Yeah. Did notice a good difference in prices between the steel and alloy frame kerzo.

If I get a bike now it won't be on the road until spring time. But want a quote to see what's within my means. Want to buy a bike over the winter period when their a bit cheaper.

I quoted with mce on Saturday night. 2 quotes on the same bike, FC and TPF&T, they have rang me 7 times now to see if I'm going to take the policy and when I said no they just hang up. I wanted to ask them a few details about their policy's tho. They may be nice to existing customers buy their not trying hard to convince new ones to join!

sparkplug86

RMS Regular
Drives
2002 Toyota tspo
Cant believe they are treating you like that big-lew18 that is shocking behaviour, especially in this day and age with so many places going out of business. They should be climbing over each other to get the customers! Only other folks that I know of would be open and direct, i originally quoted with them but as I had only past my test they insisted on having proof of the bikes restriction. Even though I did restrict the bike i needed the insurance to get it to the garage. Seemed like a reasonable group and they were local as well.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Do all insurance companies request proof of restriction if your within the 2 year period after passing your test?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.