My A pillar builds (LOTS OF PICS)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
heres set of pictures i took as i made my new a pillars. i had finished them a while ago but thought id put pics up anyway. big thanks to gary at incaraudio who eventually trimmed them for me in alcantara after a few failed attempts with vinyl.
these were on my to do list for a good while especially after having my tweeters blu tac's to my a pillars for so long! :laughing::oops:
anyway, thought id get them totally right this time and get them out of the way.

CNC machined mdf baffles made of 18mm MDF
tweeterbafflesgv2.jpg

Neaten up the tweeter wiring using braiding and heatshrink tubing
tweetersst0.jpg

just the right width to match the a pillar itself
tweeter3vn7.jpg

the hardest part-aiming them to get the right angle on them. pain in the arse but the most important part of making these is to get the aiming right.
tweeter4me3.jpg

up close shot, perfect fit for the tweeter.
tweeter5pe7.jpg

matching up the right hand side to match the left hand side, another long process and a frustrating one but eventually done so onto the next stage
tweeter6bn0.jpg

stretching the material over the top to create the build before applying resin to harden it into the shape
tweeter7dv8.jpg

tweeter8sl5.jpg

tweeter9lc1.jpg

here i stapled the fabric to the mdf around the edge. just to make sure it stayed in place when i put resin and some matting on.
fabricstapledzr6.jpg

here i applied a first coat of fg resin. i applied roughly 3 coats letting each one set before the next to help smooth the build yet also add some strength
resinappliedqj3.jpg

here i applied a single layer of fg matting to add more strength to it
fgandresinappliedgs2.jpg

this was a few stages later but i didnt want to get my camera wrecked while doing the work. i have applied some filler and sanded it down here a few times to smooth out the fg and matting and also to make sure the shape is just how i want it to be
filledandsanded1lw0.jpg

sandandfilled2qq5.jpg

finalstages1qs4.jpg

finalstages2dh2.jpg

i cut away the top fabric which i deliberately left with no resin on it to make this part easier.i had to blend the mdf into the rest of the build although ive no pictures of how i did this bit but it was pretty fiddly and time consuming
finalstages3hl8.jpg

you can also see the bits of fresh filler ive applied just waiting for them to set before sanding down again,this was to just make sure all holes and imperfections were sorted and the shape was still ok

finalstages4ep9.jpg

finalstages5nx7.jpg

all nicely sprayed up and awaiting being trimmed after all the blending and sanding etc. dont worry the one on the right was smoothed and filled out to be the same as the one on the left of the picture

finalstages7vx1.jpg

finally trimmed after all the work, i finally got round to getting them trimmed and a big thanks to gary at incar audio for doing the trimming for me.
i just didnt have the time or patience at the minute to attempt them again so i thought id hand them over to someone else! :laughing:

im really pleased with them and they sound great.

finishedbuildkc7.gif

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
gary at in car audio, i had trimmed them in vinyl but it kept lifting and then i got better glue from audioscape in england but the vinyl stuck to itself right when i was prepping them to trim so i had to bin the wasted material.(that was pretty frustrating!)
i ran out of time at this point to spend on them so i just left them hoping to get back to them at some point but thought id just get them finished and handed them to gary. top job he did on them although due to the shape they were a total bitch to trim.

lets just say he was glad to see the back of them :grinning:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Looking good matey, they look even better in real-life too. About bloody time you got them finished!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
thanks, thought it would be good to see a build thread for a change rather than just a finished item posted up

NO LIMITS

I cant believe what im reading granted the pics are good and the craftmanships is pretty good if slightly over kill but these are the most un subtle in yer face tweet builds i have ever seen.
Obviously no one has ever seen propper tweet builds before here indulge yourselves :grinning:

DSCF1905.jpg

Pete good first go but dont give up the day job just yet
And as for selling on line better not post photos of product if u want to sell these;)

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
oh for god sake, typical and expected of you to come see this and post some rubbish like youve just done. the a pillars are fine and of a great standard. end of. oh hang on because you didnt say so then they musnt be.....

it was just a thread about a set of a pillar builds. theyre not the conventional unsubtle type because thats what everyone does and i didnt want to do that and theyre that shape on purpose and for a reason.

ive made plenty of a pillar builds for myself in the past. and in case you missed it in my other post here, i already said i was joking when brendy suggested the business thing. why dont you wise up a bit and show some maturity.

hang on while i gave up my day job.....^o)

NO LIMITS

OK maturity sensible conversation i wasnt having a go but ur certainly breaking the mould on tweet builds.
for what reason are they that shape then im genuinely interested please tell^o)

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
im not even going to bother, i cant even take that seriously or genuinely due to all the crap you always post.

anyway since you know so much youd be able to at least work out the thinking behind them.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
OK maturity sensible conversation i wasnt having a go but ur certainly breaking the mould on tweet builds.
for what reason are they that shape then im genuinely interested please tell^o)

An attitude like yours would certainly put me off purchasing from AA in the future.

Can you not appreciate a fellow enthuiasts work without being a smart arse making snide comments? Pathetic.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
You work for them do you not? If so, I'd rather not contribute towards paying your wages :grinning:

You also said his craftmanship was:

"the most un subtle in yer face tweet builds i have ever seen."

and

"Obviously no one has ever seen propper tweet builds"

and

"dont give up the day job just yet"

If they arent offensive comments I dont know what are!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
i dont even think he does work for them!

why dont you show me some of YOUR work then if your such the enthusiast. if youve nothing constructive to say or post without the snideness then dont bother ;)

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Well, apologies if he doesnt. I'll still consider AA in future in that case :grinning:

All I'm saying is I dont understand why you can't just appreciate a fellow enthuiasts work.

NO LIMITS

Work for them - 'I wish'. Only friendly with the guys and go to some shows with them, and I am an enthusiast just like Pete and the 'in ur face' was how I described them. The craftsmanship was, as I said 'pretty good' (for an enthusiast). My point was how every one jumps in and thinks Pete is now a car audio god because of these tweet builds which is not the case (no offence Pete)
If you look at any other theads on installs u will find (and Pete knows) there will be lots of different opinions just as mine is an opinion. I'm sure if Diamond Audio had read a post Pete put up recently they might well have been as angry as you are now. So whats the difference? :scream:

pablo

RMS Moderator
for goodness sake does every post by NO LIMITS have to lick AAs ass? AA are fantastic installers but there is a difference between someone who does this kind of work all day every day and those who do a bit of work in their garage when they get the time.

if a DIYers work is going to be constantly compared to a professional outfits work then whats the point?

Daisy

RMS Regular
for goodness sake does every post by NO LIMITS have to lick AAs ass? AA are fantastic installers but there is a difference between someone who does this kind of work all day every day and those who do a bit of work in their garage when they get the time.

if a DIYers work is going to be constantly compared to a professional outfits work then whats the point?

Well said pablo mate, personally pete i think you put an awful amount of effort into making these and not doing the easy job of handy your a piller covers to a company and pay sixty quid to get them made and covered... you took the time and done the work yourself, i say 'Well done' and a great outcome...

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
Work for them - 'I wish'. Only friendly with the guys and go to some shows with them, and I am an enthusiast just like Pete and the 'in ur face' was how I described them. The craftsmanship was, as I said 'pretty good' (for an enthusiast). My point was how every one jumps in and thinks Pete is now a car audio god because of these tweet builds which is not the case (no offence Pete)
If you look at any other theads on installs u will find (and Pete knows) there will be lots of different opinions just as mine is an opinion. I'm sure if Diamond Audio had read a post Pete put up recently they might well have been as angry as you are now. So whats the difference? :scream:

no one thinks im an "audio god" and very far from it. it was a post put up to maybe inspire some of the inexperienced enthusiasts out there to show them its not that hard to create something good for their systems.

im all open to opinions but as slideordie put it so well in your case

poor point, poorly made.

an opinion is one thing but we all know thats not what your really giving here.

as i said before, if your in the know then youll have an idea as to why theyre built the way they are and the reasons behind it
why not show us some of your own work. then maybe it will help me to improve my standard of work. seriously and genuinely i mean that.

and thanks for all the comments.

rosssei

RMS Regular
look well Pete, ignore comments from people like "NOLIMITS" until he shows some of his own work. probably one of these people who is too afraid to have a go himself.

just outta curiosity Pete, why are they that shape?? does it make them sound better?? or give a better area behind them?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.