My Porsche 911 - (997 Gen 2 PDK)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Hi All,

After selling my 996 911 in November, I had planned to wait until 2015 to find a replacement. But, I suppose I got a little impatient.

I was interested in a few Gen 1 997 S's, however one car I sent for an inspection before buying, and the inspection came back with signs of bore scoring, which is an issue that can happen in some 997's.

This completely put me off Gen 1 cars, even though I'd had no issues with my 996, so I set my sights on a Generation 2 997. These have revised engines, which don't have an intermediate shaft (no IMS failures or RMS leaks), and they don't suffer from the dreaded bore scoring. They are also direct injection which means better fuel economy and the Carrera falls into the cheaper new tax bracket - £285 (C2S is £485).

I also set a criteria of making sure the car was PDK and had a sports exhaust. This wasn't easy as I thought! Gen 1 cars were made 2004 till 2008, whereas Gen 2 are only late 2008 till 2011, meaning much fewer cars, and for some reason they are rarely specced as high.

Thankfully this beautiful arctic silver came up for sale, having previously dismissed silver as my first two were silver, I actually fell in love. Silver is easy maintenance and actually does look superb - IMO.

Here's the car in the dealers, 3rd floor of a place in Slough, industrial Lift to get it down to the ground - cool place!

B200F487-ABE9-446F-B5D9-FFA09D86FE1F_zpspwp6nish.jpg

Gen 2 3.6 Carrera
345bhp, 0-60 4.5 seconds (once I get sport+ added, 4.7 seconds without)
PDK Double Clutch Transmission
Sound Package Plus
Extended black leather with suede roof lining
Carrera S Alloys refurbished in GT Silver
Sports switchable exhaust
Touch screen PCM3 sat nav
Heated seats
Litronic Lights

Picked it up on Thursday morning, and traveled home with it yesterday. Bit of a nightmare with boats being cancelled and ended up on the day sailing from Liverpool to belfast - 11 hours on the boat after delays!

Stopped for fuel in Surrey

8F4F3E4C-0347-41AA-BED1-EF2271CA9E8B_zps4kn5gjfc.jpg

Home and washed this morning

D9B19C92-7F45-4C2E-B430-91E226ABACFB_zps2h0v15k0.jpg

101496A6-AC7F-40EB-8DD0-30169ACAE050_zpsy3q3zjrl.jpg

BC8B6F74-2F17-453A-928C-C757B2FB5095_zpsz14bcp1w.jpg

Plans are:
H&R Springs
Paint calipers red
Retrofit Sport & Sports+
Full front end smart skin for stone chip protection
Full G-techniq protection
Drive it :grinning:

Thanks for looking!

Keith

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Looks Great Keith.. Im sure PDK will be great with the miles you do (y) :kissing_heart:

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Looks Great Keith.. Im sure PDK will be great with the miles you do (y) :kissing_heart:

PDK is superb, really glad I chose a car with it. Sport retrofit will liven it up even more.

Won't do more than 5k in this a year, I use the Saab for work now full time.

Keith :grinning:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I did wonder how you would wait so long to get the next one.... That car is stunning, really really nice car.

Health to enjoy... The lights really are much cleaner on the997s

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
I did wonder how you would wait so long to get the next one.... That car is stunning, really really nice car.

Health to enjoy... The lights really are much cleaner on the997s

LOL - yeah patience isn't my strong point.

Agreed, Lights are better, and the arches are more defined and flared. Should look superb lowered.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic looking car. They're such a massive improvement over the 996.

What's sport and sport+?

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Fantastic looking car. They're such a massive improvement over the 996.

What's sport and sport+?

It's sports chrono. It's an option from new which adds a stopwatch to the dash, a sport button and a sport plus button for PDK cars. Sport changes the revs that the car changes at in auto, sport plus means it will only change at the redline (for track use). Both increase throttle response, and both make the PDK change gear quicker in manual mode.

I can retrofit it (without the stopwatch on dash) through any porsche dealer.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Lovely car Keith, and I'm quite fond of the silver too. EVERY single time i read something about somebody buying a 997 they say that it HAS to be a Gen 2, surely it must be near impossible to sell a Gen 1?

You're fairly progressing through these 911's, when did you get your first one, about 2011? Onto your third already? lol

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
Yip...looks just about perfect. I really dont know a massive amount about Porsche, but that looks class. Health to enjoy.

On a side note, spotted some fella the other night in a white Porsche absolutely shoeing it via Syndnam onto the Westlink...was ridiculously quick ... Allbeit not the time or the place.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.