My Winter Project - Old School Scooter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Bought this a few weeks back. Got it in pieces so going to be a very challenging build for me, particularly as I don't even know how to ride a bike never mind rebuild one. Fancied a bike for ease of storage more than anything else. I'd originally wanted a Vespa but saw this and loved it.

It's a 1975 Suzuki FR70. 3 speed semi-automatic with 70cc 2-stroke engine. Bar that I know nothing else about it.

For those, like me who have/had no idea what a FR70 is...

1978_FR50_red_Aus_500.jpg

Yes - I'm restoring a step-thru.

Sorry for the pants photos. Wasn't going to create a thread on this, was going to just hold the photo's on my laptop but few people have been asking me about it so thought I'd just throw it up.

As I got it:

DSC00057.jpg

Some of the pieces:

DSC00058.jpg

Paint not too bad for 36 years old

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

I've an absolute pile of wee bits and pieces. All looking pretty fooked like this wee boyo (I've no idea what it is :p :oops:)

DSC00063.jpg

So gave them a dip in some citric:

DSC00064.jpg

Came out well :grinning:

DSC00067.jpg

And some other bits I did:

DSC00068.jpg

They're kinda dull but the rust is gone at least. Wee film of oil should hold it at bay if the bike ever does venture out of the garage.

Frame is getting the same treatment. Dip then strip and will see if it needs blasted.

DSC00066.jpg

Engine strip and rebuild begins on Monday. Nice to be able to lift the whole lot and fire it into the boot :laughing:

Paddy H

Banned
Drives
Accord Executive
Very interesting...

Must keep an eye on this thread.

How much did the bag of bolts set you back!?! If you dont mind me asking?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
bahahaha that's brilliant :party:
We done an endurance race on a Yamaha T80 Townmate earlier in the year. There was about 20 bikes, mostly C90's.
Have a search online for "Nifty Fifty" racing. (y)

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I've an absolute pile of wee bits and pieces. All looking pretty fooked like this wee boyo (I've no idea what it is :p :oops:)

DSC00063.jpg
Centre stand spring and anchor (y) Jigsaws are fun, eh? :p

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
PMSL!!! You just doing this for the craic or what on earth made you go for it if you cant even ride a bike lol?!

Fair play to ye mate, fair play (y)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
lol... aye just for the craic. When I'm done I'll just have it to look at and tinker about with... maybe get another. Just enjoy fixing things up :oops:

PMSL!!! You just doing this for the craic or what on earth made you go for it if you cant even ride a bike lol?!

Fair play to ye mate, fair play (y)

Excellent project.
Where can you get citric acid?

eBay mate. Got 5kg of powder for about a score (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Super project! That is just awesome :grinning:

Does 70cc count as a moped? I thought they were supposed to be under 50cc?

Excellent project.
Where can you get citric acid?

Off ebay, by the kg, for a few pounds. You want the stuff used for winemaking, etc. (preservative). Also available in any supermarket, but usually in smaller quantities.

Just dissolve in water, about 1kg to 20l of water, and leave the parts to soak in it over night. Warm water speeds it up, some use the heating element from an old kettle to keep it warm. Use in plastic containers only, not steel/metal!

Or you can go to built hamber and by their stuff ("deoxC"), which is nothing but plain citric acid, for 10x the cost.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Super project! That is just awesome :grinning:

Does 70cc count as a moped? I thought they were supposed to be under 50cc
correct its not a moped its a motorcycle coog you hardcore biker you

i might post the tomos's im picking up from aerofall tomorrow if anyones interested. also im near done fixing up a 100cc as well.

RMS rideout to the nifty fifty next year

chrisQ

RMS Regular
Yes forde get some pics up for the crack, have a few wee bikes like that myself taking up room in the garage. Have a ar 50 kawasaki, H100A Honda, xl125 honda and a cd175. Whats the 100cc your doing

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Got the bike out of the acid. Rear arch wasn't in great shape tbh:

DSC00002.jpg

Patched with a quick coat of seam sealer, ready for a coat or two of stonechip.

DSC00007.jpg

Rust cleaned & treated.

DSC00003.jpg

Fired a quick coat of primer on to help me find all the imperfections on the body (of which there are many). I suspect I'm going to spend the next several months filling and sanding.

DSC00004.jpg

@ Forde - yes I might go provided everyone's on their mopeds :grinning: can't imagine I'll actually use this bike any other time though. I don't even like motorbikes lol :p

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
RMS rideout to the nifty fifty next year
I head to a lot of the 50/Stepthru runs over the border with my uncle. Words can't describe how fun it is with hundreds of bikes all flat out racing round the country lanes literally handlebar to handlebar, yumping up verges and doing wheelies and donuts infront of the gards often with no helmets and the bikes far from road legal lol. :heart:

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
@ Forde - yes I might go provided everyone's on their mopeds :grinning: can't imagine I'll actually use this bike any other time though. I don't even like motorbikes lol :p

they will be lol thats the point lol thats why its called the nifty 50 cos its for 50cc

nah youll get bitten by the motorbike bug now and do your test next year, why wouldnt you use it its awesome i use all the wee bikes i get :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.