New trade insurance policy - BenDover?

corsacj

RMS Regular
Couldn't think of a better place to ask, did search but didn't come across recent venting. Would be great to understand current prices to compare

Have tried a few brokers now. First time trade policy. Just me, 30, BT7, 2yr NCB private, squeaky clean

Prices coming back ~£4k for road risk/demonstration. Tried CIP, ABL and others. AXA to go up 7% in march apparently too

What's normal to pay for first year these days? Assuming renewals are pants too?
If I suck it up for year one, is year two better?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Have you tried WJ Todd in Omagh? That’s who I’ve mine with this past 9 years and they’ve always been helpful and the best priced.

First year will be expensive, 2nd year a bit better and then it’ll not drop much after that, if mines anything to go by. I went into my first year with no previous insurance, a few convictions (chuckle) and having just got my licence back. I also added the wife around the 2nd/3rd year for £250 which means she’s covered for trade and SD&P so she can run stuff round for me too if needs be.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Mines due for renewal in a few weeks time. Ours is a fortune, a lot more than that lol but I do have myself (37) my Dad (66) and my bro (27) on it for SD&P and zero restrictions plus a ridiculously high value of cover. Plus employers liability, public liability, contents and indemnity with the package.

By the time I add up what we would all pay on our own individual vehicles though it’s probably a little bit cheaper, plus the convenience of it.

I’ve been with ABL for years now and they are great

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Abl have always looked after us well. My advice would be to sit down with one of their brokers and tell them exactly what you are doing and let them cover you properly. You might think you just need road risk and demo but it runs a lot deeper than that if you want to be properly covered. Insurance took a hit this year of about 15% but in fairness that has been the only rise in the last 5 years via alianz. It could be hard as a first timer to even get a quote these days

corsacj

RMS Regular
OP
corsacj
Cheers @Nicky @big_pete @Wild Thing for sharing your experiences apologies for late reply. Only getting back into forums etc here

Nicky I can't see you getting scooped...sounds like fiction from here lol

Waiting on Todd getting back, ABL rep was brilliant on the phone but that didn't affect the quote tbh

I'm genuinely looking to trade in fairly basic end, allow a test drive in an i10 type deal. Insurance outside of road risk/ demonstration what else is worth salt at this end of the market?

Jethro

RMS Regular
Cheers @Nicky @big_pete @Wild Thing

I'm genuinely looking to trade in fairly basic end, allow a test drive in an i10 type deal. Insurance outside of road risk/ demonstration what else is worth salt at this end of the market?

So , maybe I've read this wrong but you're looking to trade in a very limited niche market ?
what happems if someone comes in with a "nice car" that dearly needs a trade in, financially it would be suicide for you to turn them down but you are not insured to have it and cant trade it ?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
You will need public liability on it too. Even if you are working from home it’s still a commercial property if you are using it to trade from.