NI plates with EU/GB flag symbol - definitive answer post 29 - Yes you can

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Wanted to get plates with the EU approved GB symbol to avoid the hassle of GB stickers when going abroad.

But I was told that would be illegal and an MoT failure with an NI plate.

Yet no problem at all and absolutely fine with an English plate.

Is this correct? Sounds completely absurd to me ^o)

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I think if you have a D or ES or F for any of the euro boxes is considered illegal.

Still absurd. No worse than dealers advertising under the letters IMO.

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
dealers cant advertise anymore either. has to be name of place they were made followed by the postcode. GB should be fine and have never heard of anyone failing for them. i think if its an NI sticker opposed to gb it might be a little different

D4LY

RMS Regular
Drives
HOME ON A BOAT
dealers cant advertise anymore either. has to be name of place they were made followed by the postcode. GB should be fine and have never heard of anyone failing for them. i think if its an NI sticker opposed to gb it might be a little different

Most dealers make there own plates which lets them put
there name on them.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL

As above the lettering on the plate is to show country of origion of the car. Whenever you drive abroad, you are oblidged by law to put the stickers on you car, like GB LT etc. Having them on the number plate is one legal way of not having to put the stickers on your car paint work.

Being a N.Irish reg car, which is British by law, yes we are our own little country, but still british. I can't see any reason for you not to be allowed them mate. They might try argue it shoudl be NI on them, but then thats just them being picky p***ks.

And with it being a NI plate, shouldn't matter as long as the lettering/print on the plate is with in its dimenisions. Simple answer if you get any grief is that you wre driving abroad, and you need them, and you'd prefer not to put a sticker on the paintwork.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The guy was adamant it was illegal with an NI plate, but fine with an English reg...

Posted off a question to DVA, see what they say.

AKA STEVIE

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic TypeS CBR6
Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain so the reason is probably as simple as that. Personally I prefer a NI ones anyway.

Storm

Banned
The guy was adamant it was illegal with an NI plate, but fine with an English reg...

Posted off a question to DVA, see what they say.

its true, i was pulled by traffic branch for my plates one night and he confirmed this.

you are not even allowed to have an NI symbol on your plates if registered in northern ireland. english platers are fine to display their country of origin on their plates but in NI you are not, you must just have a plain plate with standard lettering or it can technically fail MOT and or get in trouble with the constabulary.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain so the reason is probably as simple as that. Personally I prefer a NI ones anyway.

Just about to post this.

GB is England, Scotland, Wales

UK stands for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

Not sure if that's the reason or not but it does sound like it makes sense.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I had 'EU' flags on the plates of an old car with NI reg. Passed MOT at ards every time and i never got stopped once in 4 years. Someone is talking kak, it's fine.

avo5021

RMS Regular
The definitive answer according to a Government website...

Displaying your registration number : Directgov - Motoring

National flags and identifiers

Motorists in England, Scotland and Wales have the option to display the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Cross of St Andrew (also known as the Saltire) or Red Dragon of Wales together with one of the following identifiers: GREAT BRITAN, Great Britain, GB, UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom, UK, CYMRU, Cymru, CYM, Cym, ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng, SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO, Sco, WALES or Wales. This must be displayed on the left hand side of the number plate. No other symbols or flags can be displayed on number plates.

The flag must be positioned above the identifier and neither must be more than 50 millimetres wide or on the number plate margin.

Motorists displaying national flags and identifiers will still be required to display the standard GB sticker when travelling in Europe.

The Euro symbol

If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, then you won't need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union.

The symbol must meet the required standards. They are:

minimum height of 98 millimetres
minimum width of 40 millimetres to a maximum of 50 millimetres
reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top
sign of the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow.

I hope that clears things up as i think lots of my mate says/a geezer says/the bus driver down the road that walks the labrador say etc etc.....

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I ordered a set of plates for the V6 BX there and accidentally ordered bloody isle of man logos on them.

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
where do you find out about the euro flag and the symbol NI below it. Was thinking of going to europe in July and need to know for definate^o):sob:

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
We all went to europe last year and didn't have any stickers to say which country the cars were from.. don't know how strictly you need them?!

Gambit

RMS Regular
taken from - http://wapedia.mobi/en/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_European_Union

Within the United Kingdom, motorists with vehicles registered in Great Britain may use number plates featuring the national flag of England, Scotland and Wales, or alternatively the Union Flag, together with the code/name ENG/England/ENGLAND, SCO/Scotland/SCOTLAND, Wales/WALES or CYM/Cymru/CYMRU, GB/Great Britain/GREAT BRITAIN or UK/United Kingdom/UNITED KINGDOM respectively. Although not officially recognised outside the UK, they are authorised by the DVLA. [5] However, motorists with vehicles registered in Northern Ireland fall within the jurisdiction of the Driver & Vehicle Agency, which does not permit a similar scheme to operate in Northern Ireland; only the optional EU format, (featuring in this case the letters GB), being permitted. [6]

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
If you're going to mainland Europe, you can either have:

1. Your NI number plate with no Euro symbol and a white oval GB or IRL sticker on your car;
2. Your NI number plate with the Euro symbol with GB letters below it.

It's not difficult.

Whoever told the OP that it's a MOT failure is talking total and utter bollocks.

avo5021

RMS Regular
where do you find out about the euro flag and the symbol NI below it. Was thinking of going to europe in July and need to know for definate^o):sob:

You can have the Euro symbol alone, or Euro symbol with GB on it if NI reg'd vehicle..

Alternatively you may have a GB sticker..

Cess

RMS Staff
why do you need the sticker when going abroad - is it because UK & IRL cars are RHD?

avo5021

RMS Regular
Dunno Cess, it's an age old thing i think to identify foreign cars/drivers...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The definitive answer according to a Government website...

Cheers Avo. So the EU flag and the GB symbol are ok on NI plates?

I was told by Halfords this would not be allowed, and they would not be able to sell me such a plate. Fine with English reg though, according to them, even if the car is registered in NI.

I know NI is not technically part of GB, only of UK. But internationally, "GB" is the symbol for the whole of the UK. Confusing, yes, but I guess the Eurocrats do not know the difference.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.