NI Speed Weekend at Eikon Complex, Lisburn - Sun 28th, Mon 29th August 2016

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Looking at the pictures, think ill go for a spin instead, supercar dream rides isn't a lot of super cars.

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
Ref above

- McLaren 570
- R8 V10
- Ferrari 458
- lambo hurican
- Merc AMG GT
- various Astons
- various M Beemers
- GTR
- various mazzers
- Ferrari 430

Plus plenty more so not sure what your point is above. It was a decent turn out of motors in my opinion.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Ref above

- McLaren 570
- R8 V10
- Ferrari 458
- lambo hurican
- Merc AMG GT
- various Astons
- various M Beemers
- GTR
- various mazzers
- Ferrari 430

Plus plenty more so not sure what your point is above. It was a decent turn out of motors in my opinion.

Ref your post...re read mine.......... Going by pictures and I mean their Facebook pictures.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Im just back and I thought it was a good show. Got a run out in an R8 V10, mega noise and go, and Mercedes SLS, just a good as the R8 but with more class.......I want one!

DSC_0386_zpsyyfifdyd.jpg

The drifting, sprint, Mx and autotest are all good but I'm not a great spectator, it needs to be something really impressive to hold my interest for long!

Mmmmmmmm SLS.............:heart:

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Ok noted, hadn't seen what pics they had posted.

I was really looking forward to going and the pics totally let it down for me. I know bakebook isn't a great source but as it was their promotion of the show I assumed that was it.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I saw it on here, I never look at Facebook, old people like me don't rate it!

My view is that NI is small and you need to support these things otherwise no one will run them. Its the same as all the people who won't spend the money on the dream rides and all the super car owners who give up their time and petrol to do it for a fun and charity. Admittedly some of the cars doing it are not super at all, in fact I was thinking I should have signed the 335D up for it, it defiantly wouldn't have been the slowest car there!!!!!

After a look on Pistonheads I have discovered I can't afford an SLS:worried:

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
Yeah Jonny agreed.

One other thing I wasn't sure of as I was driving, did people have to pay to get in to get even to the Supercars and then pay for a drive? I felt there were less people there this year as I assumed it wasn't free to see the cars. The fact you had to go through the Eikon entrance to get to the main festival I think means perhaps it was better to keep that bit separate. Ie main thing ticket only, cars runs free to see but pay for a run.

My thoughts over and above what I have just mentioned :

- it was great not to have to worry about the Sunday drivers on public road

- the circuit was a decent run once on it apart from the surface, for next year it would be ideal that the bits clearly needing repair are repaired / tarmaced. The organisers in fairness to them did acknowledge the surface wasn't perfect.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Was gutted I missed this due to work, hopefully it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Only thing missing for me was somewhere to sit and watch. Like those pop up stadium seats you see would have been great as it was decent weather I'd have sat all day.
Thought there would've been more cars inside though.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Was gutted I missed this due to work, hopefully it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews.

It is far from bad...................and it's on tomorrow as its a bank holiday.

True enough that you have to pay £12.50 to get in and then pay for the super car rides, £10, £20 or in case of the McLaren £50 (Cant be worth that?), the Ferrari 458 never stopped as it was £20, he should have had a taxi sign on the roof!
The venue is much better though as Sprucefield to Hillsborough was crazy on a Sunday afternoon with dopey drivers involved.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Marketing for this is all pretty confusing, I assumed this was the festival of speed they had in the Maze but its just the Supercar Sunday thing Plum used to do?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Marketing for this is all pretty confusing, I assumed this was the festival of speed they had in the Maze but its just the Supercar Sunday thing Plum used to do?

No it is the festival. They have added the supercar Sunday thing to it!

Topmark

RMS Regular
I overheard someone asking an organiser why it wasn't part of Oyster Festival / Ran like it had been previously as 'Supercar Sunday' and he replied "You know the Gumballers? Yeh, well they all ruined it for us". Make what you will of that.

One of the best things about Supercar Sunday was the spectating element, hearing the exhaust note of some of the most exotic cars in the world. This was a BIG missing from this event. The only spectating available surrounding this was in the paddock and you could watch them leave (from afar) along a 20mph restricted area.

To say this is to avoid spectators being close to the 'quick part' of the route is foolish - drifting, off roading, auto testing, sprints and drag racing were all in full view of spectators - all from a safe distance with precautionary fencing and bales. No reason why this couldn't be the case for the dream cars.

That's just one point, constructive criticism. Other than that I thought it was a good day out! Variety, looked to be a lot for families to do and see as well. Organisers may have attracted bigger numbers if they had have pushed the 'Car Show' part a bit more, only seen a small number of cars inside - NI has a lot more to offer than that, but then again maybe that's not what this event is about.

Well done organisers, good event, could be great in future! Takes a serious amount of time, effort, people and money to pull this off.

Casadalloro

RMS Regular
Drives
alfa, maserati
I overheard someone asking an organiser why it wasn't part of Oyster Festival / Ran like it had been previously as 'Supercar Sunday' and he replied "You know the Gumballers? Yeh, well they all ruined it for us". Make what you will of that.

One of the best things about Supercar Sunday was the spectating element, hearing the exhaust note of some of the most exotic cars in the world. This was a BIG missing from this event. The only spectating available surrounding this was in the paddock and you could watch them leave (from afar) along a 20mph restricted area.

To say this is to avoid spectators being close to the 'quick part' of the route is foolish - drifting, off roading, auto testing, sprints and drag racing were all in full view of spectators - all from a safe distance with precautionary fencing and bales. No reason why this couldn't be the case for the dream cars.

That's just one point, constructive criticism. Other than that I thought it was a good day out! Variety, looked to be a lot for families to do and see as well. Organisers may have attracted bigger numbers if they had have pushed the 'Car Show' part a bit more, only seen a small number of cars inside - NI has a lot more to offer than that, but then again maybe that's not what this event is about.

Well done organisers, good event, could be great in future! Takes a serious amount of time, effort, people and money to pull this off.

No spectators at the "fast bit" as there are buildings that the owners of the site dont want being photographed...we wernt allowed to take video footage either... I guess until these are demolished they will keep it like that...

Thoughts on the Dream Rides... Us 1* rides probably should have been £5 a run and everyone should just have to take the next car that comes along.... I sat there for ages at times and no one wanted a go.... This is very frustrating for us...
Remember that most of our cars are seriously quick sub 5 second 0-60, 170mph cars driven in an area with no speed limit and i was pushing 95% .... Traction control off, 1 spin and as much sideways as i could manage..... Where else can you do that ? I was chatting to a lad with a tuned S4 over 400bhp and he got very few takers too....dont understand it...

Any public have any ideas to improve the take up for runs in non ferrari, lambo, mclaren etc???

MASSIVE thanks to the thankless task the marshalls do....well done guys and girls.......

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
Yeah agreed on the sitting about and the 5er for the next car in line. I and plenty others sat a good while now and again which was frustrating when I just wanted to drive.

I also suggest that some (not all) of the general public can't appreciate some of the rarer cars there and what they are.

Another shout out of thanks to the organisers and marshals, some effort to make that all happen. Just a shame I have to work tomorrow!

Casadalloro

RMS Regular
Drives
alfa, maserati
"I also suggest that some (not all) of the general public can't appreciate some of the rarer cars there and what they are."

Good point... Both yours and my car are almost ferrari quick and i guarantee yours being quicker round that course than a ferrari!!
Where as my car has the ferrari engine and as its not worth ferrari money i was both scaring myself and the odd passenger by driving like a nutter...

Markon

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3
Those dream car rides where did they actually go? From what I seen it looked like you just sat in it while they drove you round the front of the complex and back again doing about 20mph but I don''t know if there was a different section for you to open the cars up a bit?

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
Mark there was a 20 mph limit to the track. From then a track maybe 2 miles of a run, various corners and straights with no speed limit. The track could not be seen from anywhere at the complex, it took a while to get there at 20mph.

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
It's all for charity. Drivers donate all time, fuel of their own. We are there for people to enjoy the cars, ourselves enjoy driving them and the main incentive, as has been for years even when it was back at sprucefield, raising lots of money for charity. To be clear, zero money goes to drivers, only charity.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.