North West 200

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Anyone know if the gathering at Joey's bar in Ballymoney is on Thursday as per last year?

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Friday?

From what I understand Friday is a contingency day for weather, would it be be worth bringing my kid down for a few hours anyway, he's never been before and we cant make it on saturday.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Weather looks great at this stage so Friday very unlikely to be used. Better bringing him down on Thursday for a first time. Will be bit less of a crowd to navigate through

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Anyone know if the gathering at Joey's bar in Ballymoney is on Thursday as per last year?

It’s always on Friday at Joeys.

IMG_4706.png

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Place was packed out the last two days, did some laps through the Ports between coffee stops :joy:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
It’s always on Friday at Joeys.
Thanks, Couldn't remember, found it by accident last year, went to get some new motorcycle jeans and ended up having lunch there and talking to a few bikers. Never knew such a thing happened until then.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
what was the story last year with the team merch etc... couldn't seem to find any tents selling any anywhere.

All the normal huge tents with team gear were Clinton Enterprises.
Went into liquidation over Covid I believe 😪

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I was delivering a pizza to the pits last year and some of the sums of money being paid in the charity auction were astronomical

dufunk

RMS Regular
Some nice merch but 5 quid delivery for a hat! Better off going to the tent.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Weather looks great at this stage so Friday very unlikely to be used. Better bringing him down on Thursday for a first time. Will be bit less of a crowd to navigate through

I can't go today with work, finished early tomorrow, and plans for Saturday too.

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus

It's okay, you're allowed to laugh. He walked back to the pits, got cleared by medical and half an hour later he was lining up on the grid again.

Different gravy them boys.

Just shows how good there leathers our anybody else would be wiped out.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Of course I would, I would also care about the well being of the victim but my point is how dangerous and insane road racing is

How would that person explain that to their insurance? Ah, a motorcyclist "landed" on it. Where was it parked? In my drive. Wut?

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

matthewh

RMS Regular
Drives
GP3,CSS,Mini
Of course I would, I would also care about the well being of the victim but my point is how dangerous and insane road racing is

How would that person explain that to their insurance? Ah, a motorcyclist "landed" on it. Where was it parked? In my drive. Wut?

I'm sure the organisers won't just walk away from it, more than likely to be covered by the event insurance, have to remember too most of the occupants of the houses along the circuit are there to spectate also so most likely understanding about the situation. Of course you'd be annoyed about the damage but at the same time damage is a millions times more likely to occur to property / vehicles on any street corner without it being turned into a race track.

It's an unbelievable spectacle, something that realistically needs to be experienced in person to fully appreciate, such a unique event in a country where lets face it has very little else and nothing that comes close to the calibre of it so it should really be celebrated, at the end of the day no motorsport is risk free, and therefore even if it was quantifiable how much is too much? So I think fair play to them, I'll certainly enjoy watching it, hope they all have a safe race but importantly take the positives, he walked away without injury and the good old VW softened his landing, testament to VW's Euro NCAP pedestrian safety testing, really VW should just give em a new one and put it down to safety testing ;)

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I am from the area and grew up around it so know what it brings to the towns and country as a whole - just think in todays modern "helf and safe-ety" that its an insane event. Wouldn't want to see it go in the slightest but when you consider the H&S risks and likelihood of occurrences, you wonder how any risk assessment gets passed or approved.

matthewh

RMS Regular
Drives
GP3,CSS,Mini
I am from the area and grew up around it so know what it brings to the towns and country as a whole - just think in todays modern "helf and safe-ety" that its an insane event. Wouldn't want to see it go in the slightest but when you consider the H&S risks and likelihood of occurrences, you wonder how any risk assessment gets passed or approved.

Must be an absolute headache to organise I know that, to be fair to them they certainly put in the effort to improve as they're alway adding more safety equipment each year, the airbags in the leathers seem to have really helped too.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

They wouldn’t have to do a thing. That’ll be lifted and a courtesy car dropped off and all taken care of without them batting an eye lid.

The risks are there, certainly, but it’s also a strictly monitored and planned event to ensure there’s measures in place should anything at all go wrong.

Most road racers wouldn’t entertain the idea of riding on an open road with normal traffic, dirty surfaces, uncontrolled environment etc. Sure Johnny Rea only passed his motorbike test a year or 2 ago…

Riding a bike fast in a non-race environment is much, much riskier, but you’ll never see them pulled off the market.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
just think in todays modern "helf and safe-ety" that its an insane event.
Glad for it, governments are taking away too much control from everything else, at least we still have this for now. Before we become a full on nanny state.

At least risks for spectators are minimal, as you can't watch close to any outside corners where they are likely to go off.

Remember when they used to be able to to watch rallying from the outside of corners? That was crazy, some amount of people got taken out when cars lost control.