Octavia G180 Passenger side crash sensor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
The airbag light is on in my Octavia and Vagcom says that it is the G180 Passenger side crash sensor at fault. I had a quick poke around today and couldn't find the offending sensor. Does anyone know exactly where it is? Some things I have found say it may be in the door and others say its somewhere under the seat which needs to be removed to get at it.

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
I had the same issue in my Dad's 2005 VW Passat. Water had leaked into the cabin :mad: due to a blocked drain hole near the battery.

In the passat the sensor was located under the seat beneath the carpet. So if you remove the seat and lift the carpet from the side you will see the offending
sensor, it is bolted onto the floor. Got a replacement from ebay for £30 as they are about ~ £120 from VW :oops:

Hope this helps?

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
There you mate, this should give you a idea. In the passat I had to remove the side rail in order to pull the carpet.

The black sensor (in the image) on the left bolted to the floor, is the sensor.

Is your cabin flooded aswell?

oTpSE.jpg

(picture courtesy of tdiclub)

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Unfortunately Skoda decided they would go one better than VW and install the sensor in the door - BEHIND the metal panel. It's mounted behind the area circled in red. So in order to access it you need to drill out all the rivets holding on the metal panel to the door and totally remove it. The sensor is the little blue thing in the second photo secured again with two rivets. In order to replace the metal panel you need special oversize 6.4mm diameter rivets.

I got the sensor from my local scrappy for £10 so it wasn't too expensive but it did take a few hours to dismantle and rebuild the door. So far after clearing the fault codes the light hasn't come back on so hopefully that is it sorted.

Attachments

• Crash Sensor 1.jpg
    Crash Sensor 1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 33,432
  • Crash Sensor 2.jpg
    Crash Sensor 2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 11,960

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
Unfortunately Skoda decided they would go one better than VW and install the sensor in the door - BEHIND the metal panel. It's mounted behind the area circled in red. So in order to access it you need to drill out all the rivets holding on the metal panel to the door and totally remove it. The sensor is the little blue thing in the second photo secured again with two rivets. In order to replace the metal panel you need special oversize 6.4mm diameter rivets.

I got the sensor from my local scrappy for £10 so it wasn't too expensive but it did take a few hours to dismantle and rebuild the door. So far after clearing the fault codes the light hasn't come back on so hopefully that is it sorted.

Looks like a total nightmare of a place to put the sensor lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Saw the Octavia in the car wash in banbridge on Saturday Bryan, looked well (y).

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.